Football: Return of the CR7

Corvinus85

I expected Tuchel to take control of the game and snuff us out and after their 2nd goal I knew it was over but I was hoping we'd at least put up a fight. No such luck. Both Nuno and the players looked completely nonplussed in the 2nd half.

Nuno is a really likeable guy, but he's so obviously not going to cut it. At Wolves all he had to do was set up a team to defend and that was it. At Tottenham there's going to be pressure from the fans and the higher-ups at the club to play stylish football and, while Nuno clearly made an effort at it at the beginning of the first half, he's obviously not comfortable with it and doesn't know how to respond when the opposition cuts off our lines of attack.

Looks like another flop managerial appointment by Levy, and it's going to be a long season.

4-1, currently lying on third. If we now could start to win away games, too, this might turn out to be a very good season indeed.

In other news. It's official. Kuntz has left his Germany u21 post to take over the Turkish national team.

As for the EPL. I am sure Christensen will be disappointed as he's the only only CB who hasn't scored today against Spurs. The top four spots are taken, like I said during the pre-season. I can realistically believe in a final table with either City, Chelsea are Liverpool occupying the top spot (somewhat less so with United). PG, you still think Leicester can find a way in?

6 hours ago, Darryk said:

another flop managerial appointment by Levy, and it's going to be a long season.

Seems a bit early for this, no? Granted I have watched very little Spurs this season, but the man got manager of the month last month! Or is it that obviously bad already?

Spurs were decent for the first 20 or so minutes, guess game plan was to score early and hit Chelsea on the break. Obviously fell apart after that but it is Chelsea so wouldn’t be too worried.

What is more worrying is previous results , even the wins, where very little was created and Kane looks a shadow of himself. 

13 hours ago, Raja said:

Seems a bit early for this, no? Granted I have watched very little Spurs this season, but the man got manager of the month last month! Or is it that obviously bad already?

Yeah I guess it is, and it's harsh to judge him against a top team like Chelsea with an amazing coach like Tuchel.

The two worrying issues really are:

a) he doesn't seem to know how to respond in games when things are going wrong, this was evident against P:alace as well as Chelsea

b) except for the first 20 minutes vs Chelsea, the football has been Jose-esque. 

I see, next week has two of the contenders squaring off against each other.

It's Tuchel vs. Pep again. Let's see if Guardiola has figured out how to beat Tuchel in the EPL. Should be a real treat for the football nerds again. If Chelsea were to win that game, they'd be the early favorites to win the league this season.

19 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I see, next week has two of the contenders squaring off against each other.

It's Tuchel vs. Pep again. Let's see if Guardiola has figured out how to beat Tuchel in the EPL. Should be a real treat for the football nerds again. If Chelsea were to win that game, they'd be the early favorites to win the league this season.

Yeah can't wait for that one, it's gonna be fascinating for people who are into football tactics.

I think the only manager who's got one over Tuchel in a big game so far is Brendan Rogers in the FA Cup final. Pep has been foiled by him twice.

43 minutes ago, Raja said:

Koeman's done at Barca, surely?

Unlikely. Part because they can't afford to fire him,  part because they can't really get anyone better, part because if he fails (which is almost certain) at the CL and La Liga, he can be a good scapegoat, where as if he's fired now, Laporta will have no one to blame for himself if he chooses poorly and things go wrong.

Archived