Football: Return of the CR7

Corvinus85

59 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I think they'll get there eventually, but I've got this theory that Wolves' forward line is so built around Nuno's calm, precise attacking style that they can't easily flip to making use of the opportunities proved by Lage's half-controlled chaos. As good as Jimenez is he's not a Bamford, Moutinho's no Bissouma (also really old and they should probably have been thinking about a replacement before this) etc etc. They're good enough players that they should be able to adapt eventually, but Lage has to have a plan B in case they do not.

Going by his short stint at Benfica, Lage does not have a plan B. He had a fantastic 6 months there but as soon as it started to go wrong, he appeared to have no clue how to change things up.

Meanwhile in the Bundesliga. Coman had to undergo a heart surgery, and thus will be out for a few weeks (mid October is his supposed return date). Minor surgery according to Bayern, but necessary (arryhythmia).

Bayern still had some fun with newly promoted Bochum (who are one of the pre-season picks for relegation). 7-0 in the end. Ah right, Goretzka also extended his contract until 2026.

Gladbach messed up their start into the new season completely.

Germany's u21 manager Kuntz is on his way to take the Turkey job, after missing out on the Germany post. I am somewhat curious how will take over. Maybe Klose, but he is rumoredly more after a headcoach position at club level.

From Arseblog's player ratings:

Bonus rating
10/10 Sean Dyche's big angry head will be so red with fury that when he goes home tonight his family will call the police because they think their house is being attacked by a radioactive testicle.

:lol:

Great result for ‘Pool in a tough game.  Palace are much fresher and are on a high after smashing Spurs last week.  Liverpool rotated the entire back four and had some tired legs elsewhere.  Definitely more rotation ahead for the LC midweek because the volume of games is intense for two more weeks until the international break (and most players don’t get a rest then either).

I really hope Thiago is back soon.  It would be great if Keita can stay healthy and sustain some form in his absence.  Firmino may be back in two weeks.

Tsimikas and Milner did well, and showed we can rest our FBs occasionally even if it does reduce our usual attacking channel.  Tsimikas has done really well so far this season, aside from his fitness fading after around 60 minutes each match.

Decent debut by Konate.  He’ll need to work on his positioning but he did alright with a lot of responsibility in a high line against a counter-attacking opponent.

Archived