Marriage Deals

Lucia Targaryen

I thought it'd be fun to play a matchmaking game.

Assuming that the War of the Five Kings didn't break out, who do you think should/would have been betrothed/married and why. Any characters.

Robb Stark - You could argue that Robb had a few things going against him in regards to being the next Lord of Winterfell ie. being born in the south to a Fot7 worshipping mother and looking like said "southron" mother. I could imagine some Northern lords saying that Robb was "more fish than wolf" especially compared to Jon so a marriage to Alys Karstark makes the most sense to me. The Karstarks are a cadet branch and Alys has the more traditional Stark features so there would be a greater likelihood that those traits would be passed on to Robb's heirs. 

Arya - While she has never been interested in marriage but if Arya absolutely had to I think Jojen Reed would be the best. She would love living in the Neck and I could see her becoming best friends with Meera. They would have all sorts of crazy adventures in the swamps.

Sansa - I think Willas Tyrell would have been a great husband for Sansa. She would have loved Highgarden and while Sansa would have been disappointed that the crippled Willas wasn't this gallant knight from the songs but Willas could have won her over. When Littlefinger of all people has nothing bad to say about someone, you know they must be a good person. 

I am considering making alliances, rank, and compatibility.  The parents are going to want the matches to be worthwhile both for their families and the individuals themselves. 

Robb - Wylla Manderly.  She is from a very powerful family, and a very rich one.  Plus, she really likes the Starks.  She does worship the Seven, but the Starks are well enough liked that shouldn't be a problem. 

If they go South for a bride, either Margaery Tyrell or Myrcella, if they are willing to live in Winterfell.   For right now, I'm going with Wylla.

Bran - Lyanna Mormont.  I imagine these two having lots of fun together. 

Sansa - Joffrey is the obvious choice, but I think it wouldn't work out (Ned was ready to cancel it even before he knew about the incest).

I think Renly would be a good choice.  He enjoys culture and the finer things in life, and likes fine clothes and looking good.  Sansa would like that.  I imagine them as a power couple and hosting the best parties in KL.  She likely wouldn't mind he was gay, as long as he paid attention to her, and they had sex often enough to produce a kid or two.

Arya - A tough one.  If Sansa/Joffrey doesn't work out, I would match her with Tommen.  He is assertive and adventurous enough to be interesting.  And she would probably get a castle to be boss of.  Cersei could be a problem, though, but the other logical possibility is Robert Arryn, and that's even worse, with Lysa.  Plus, Arya would probably strangle the kid in sheer frustration.

Jon - If he doesn't join the Nights Watch, I like matching him with Meera Reed.  She is the daughter of a minor vassal (though good friend) of Ned's, so his natural son would be a good catch.  Jon likes Arya-like women, so Meera would probably appeal to him.

If the ultimate goal is peace, the best matches would be (ignoring everyone's personality, I'm assuming I'm Robert and by royal decree I'm making a huge peace keeping marriage plan):

- Arianne and Joffrey, she's the most fitting as she's of higher status than any other woman, as the heir of an entire kingdom. Also, the relations between Baratheons/Martells aren't great, so it's more importante to create kinship here than, say, marrying Joff to the Starks, that are already very loyal.

- Myrcella and Sweetrobin, with Jon Arryn gone, that alliance needs to be kept.

- Renly and Margeary, again, it's important to strengthen relations with the Tyrells, to ensure their support, and Renly is more fitting for Margeary than Tommen.

- Asha and Tyrion. Yes, Tyrion might be considered an insult to Asha, but he's also of much higher birth than her and she would be the less insulted by the marriage using Westerosi standards..

- Shireen Baratheon and Rickon Stark, the Starks should not be slighted, and if Stannis' offspring is declared heirs to the Crownlands then Shireen's a catch.

- Given that the only remaining woman of an appropriate age and status is Arya, I would marry her to Tommen. 

- Sansa and Willas, I'm actually not a fan of this paring but Sansa is one of the few remaining maids, and there are three important men to marry off: Willas Tyrell, Robb Stark and Edmure Tully, Cause they are all future lords. I was tempted to say Edmure, as he's of a closer age and I don't want to exclude the Riverlands from this huge pact, but he is her uncle, I don't know if this is enough of a point tho, but still.

The priority would be to find a bride for Edmure after this, one of another kingdom and high birth, then one for Robb. As for other Hihglord sons, such as Quentyn, Trystane, Bran and Loras should wed Vassals of their parents, to keep them happy and from feeling slighted, but they should be fostered by rival kingdoms, in order to forget such rivalries. Quent being fostered by Tyrion would be great, and Brann too. Trystane should be fostered by the Tyrells and Loras by Doran. Or maybe, to not keep slighting Edmure, he should foster all four of them turning them into brothers and foster sons of him.

11 hours ago, Nevets said:

I am considering making alliances, rank, and compatibility.  The parents are going to want the matches to be worthwhile both for their families and the individuals themselves. 

Robb - Wylla Manderly.  She is from a very powerful family, and a very rich one.  Plus, she really likes the Starks.  She does worship the Seven, but the Starks are well enough liked that shouldn't be a problem. 

Well, Robb was brought up in both the Seven and the Old Gods, so it might not be too much of a problem.

Eh, why would the Tyrells even consider a marriage alliance with the Starks? This idea seems to crop up all the time, but I just can't see the Tyrells ever willingly doing this. Whatever else you want to say about them, they want to play the game and move upward. Marrying Robb doesn't get that. 

1 hour ago, Lord Lannister said:

Eh, why would the Tyrells even consider a marriage alliance with the Starks? This idea seems to crop up all the time, but I just can't see the Tyrells ever willingly doing this. Whatever else you want to say about them, they want to play the game and move upward. Marrying Robb doesn't get that. 

Plus Northerners might be leery of a second Lady Stark who hails from the South and the fact that the last Lord who married a lady from the Reach crashed and burned in a spectacular way.

• 2 weeks later...

Robb Stark with...

• Asha Greyjoy - if Balon Greyjoy had put on his thinking cap but wanted something out of it. Would better strengthen ties with the Iron Islands and the North and also pave the way towards peace between them. Plus Asha/Robb would make an interesting ship, and make Theon and the Starks in-laws!
  • A Mormont - lot of action women over there, and Alaric Stark married one in the past (this Mormont still remains unnamed). Best choice would be Dacey.
  • A Manderly - just like with the Mormonts, a Manderly girl married a Stark in the past. Wylla and Wynafred were the 2 girls available for marriage (who was older again?)
  • A Crannog girl - to strengthen ties with the Neck. I'd say Meera Reed since her father and Ned were BFFs, though I feel she's better with Bran.

Bran Stark with...

• Lyanna Mormont - Same age as Bran. Her being a Mormont brings up the reasons with Robb taking a Mormont wife. 
  • Meera Reed - they've gotten close during their time together.

Rickon Stark with...

• A Skagosi girl - since Rickon's currently hiding out on Skagos, there's a good chance he may have been betrothed to one already.
  • Erena Glover - Rickon's very young, so you'd have to betroth him to someone closest to his age. Glovers also provided brides to Stark lords in the past
  • Ermesande Hayford - not a likely match, but Ermesande is more likely a widow the longer Tyrek stays missing. She'll need a husband who isn't a Lannister and who's closer to her in age.

Robert Arryn with...

• A Sistermen girl - to better strengthen ties with the Sister Isles. 
  • Shireen Baratheon - to better ally with Stannis Baratheon. Also, wasn't this the initial plan?
  • A girl from House Lynderly - One of Robert's squires is a Lynderly.
  • A girl from House Grafton - Another of Robert's squires is a Grafton.
  • A girl from House Egen - Vardis Egen served the Arryns at the time of his death

Theon Greyjoy with...

• A Northern girl - I'd imagine Ned would want to keep Theon close, had the events of the book not taken place. Marrying him to a girl from one of the Northern houses would probably be something he'd do. 
    • Beth Cassel - Her father serves Ned, so she'd be one potential bride
    • Jeyne Poole - Another potential bride whose father also serves Ned. Can see this happening more even after reading ADWD.
    • Sansa Stark - Maybe; Theon and Sansa would at least know each other, and a Stark wedding a Greyjoy would unite 2 head houses in 2 different regions. However, I feel this would be unlikely. For one, how would Ned feel about marrying his hostage to one of his daughters? How would Balon feel about getting his enemy's daughter as a daughter-in-law?  

I'll try to add more if I can think of any.

Theon Greyjoin, heir to the Iron Isles, married to freaking Jeyne Poole or Beth Cassell? Neither are even nobility! Look to Balon, who married a member of House Harlaw, their most powerful bannerman, and who's mother was from House Sunderly, another powerful vassal.

Theon would be paired with the daughter of a great house, such as Sansa or Arianne, and if not, the daughter from a prominent family in the Isles.

Archived