Killing Animals For Fun

Spockydog

On the day when we see another disgusting excuse for a human celebrating killing animals for fun, what the fuck is wrong with these people?

Why do they do it? 

Does killing a defenceless animal make them feel powerful? Horny?

Or are they really just latent psychopaths? 

I repeat, what is wrong with these people?

1 hour ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I do hope you’re a vegetarian.

I gave up meat about four years ago.

And, look, even if I hadn't, there is a world of difference between eating the meat of abattoir-slaughtered animals, and killing large mammals for nothing else but shits and giggles.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

It’s the byproduct of society denying us the right to play the most dangerous of games.

Didn't I advice you to be more discrete in the other thread, just a few days ago (or was it yesterday)?

16 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

And, look, even if I hadn't, there is a world of difference between eating the meat of abattoir-slaughtered animals, and killing large mammals for nothing else but shits and giggles.

So I want a clarification, if I eat the human after I hunt them, does that make it better ethically speaking?

7 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Didn't I advice you to be more discrete in the other thread, just a few days ago (or was it yesterday)?

Rick Perry oops time!  

I would agree killing animals for fun would be horrible if we could carve out an exemption for gladiator type contests amongst the alt-right.

We could restrict it to arenas and they( the rightwingers) could battle each other to the death. That's a better bargain than college football imo, I'd plunk down $100 to cheer them on.

35 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Yes and no.  I could make a decent case that the animal that is killed via trophy hunting [which personally I despise and think should be illegal] has had a good life until it is shot, it has lived free and natural.  The factory farmed animal, which may or may not in reality be humanely killed, lives a life of unimaginable cruelty from birth to death.  If you gave me the choice of living with freedom of movement until someone put a bullet into my head or living in a tiny cage until someone electrocuted me, um, I'd take the bullet.

I stopped eating veal and pork [hog farming in a stain on fucking humanity] at least 20 years ago, although I do eat beef and chicken.

I started this thread after seeing the news story about some NRA asshole killing an elephant and cutting its tail off, before raising it aloft and shouting, 'Victory!' 

That someone could take so much pleasure from such barbarism is just so alien to me, and infuriating beyond measure.

You simply cannot compare that mindset with that of people buying the meat of animals who have been kept in poor conditions.

13 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I stopped eating veal and pork [hog farming in a stain on fucking humanity] at least 20 years ago, although I do eat beef and chicken.

Obligatory...

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Playing in the 80’s in a Miami gym would be pretty dangerous, but it’s not the same as hunting a human being.

It's an extremely obscure Archer reference, so obscure I can't even find a youtube clip.

19 minutes ago, Fez said:

It's an extremely obscure Archer reference, so obscure I can't even find a youtube clip.

That's a great episode:

Archer asks, "Jai alai?" in response to Calzado saying he's going to hunt "the most dangerous game." This is a reference to "Honeypot" where Archer challenges Ramon Limon to a game of Jai alai, per Limon "a dangerous game, amigo."

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

I started this thread after seeing the news story about some NRA asshole killing an elephant and cutting its tail off, before raising it aloft and shouting, 'Victory!' 

That someone could take so much pleasure from such barbarism is just so alien to me, and infuriating beyond measure.

So just take pleasure in reading headlines like "Big game hunter gets eaten by pack of lions."

3 hours ago, Spockydog said:

You simply cannot compare that mindset with that of people buying the meat of animals who have been kept in poor conditions.

I agree with you, and I'd be rather suspicious of anyone bringing a purity test (i.e. "I hope you're vegetarian") into this. Trophy hunting is bad enough in itself, but if we're talking about elephants, I just don't see how anyone could defend it.

8 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Does killing a defenceless animal make them feel powerful?

I would assume so. There is this dark side of many humans enjoying being able to spread destruction and death.

8 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Or are they really just latent psychopaths?

Yes and no. To be fair, when it comes to animals, we're all a bit psychopathic. On balance, I think being shocked by some of the more overt displays of psychopathy is still a pretty good thing, even if it is a bit hypocritical. There's a pretty big difference, morally speaking.

19 minutes ago, Relic said:

Anyone killing anything for fun needs to be shot into the sun. 

Ouch.

When I was still in the single digits of age I used to shoot starlings for my grandpa (they would kill his purple martin eggs) and chipmunks for my grandma (they would eat her bird seed)

I can’t claim I didn’t get some pleasure/pride from hitting such little targets. 

Archived