Killing Animals For Fun

Spockydog

This thread wasn't created so we could all wonder at the motives of people who dare to eat meat in a world in which our leaders consistently fail to address issues surrounding animal welfare. I mean, what could possibly drive such people?

3 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

Might be worth noting, that vegans and people actually raising livestock ethically themselves aside, all of us are bound to be pretty hypocritical on an issue like this*.

Consuming animals and their products especially on a factory scale, is going to be bad for the environment and have lots of ethical issues about animal care.  

And while it's easy to dunk on each other with gotcha moments, it doesn't take much when it comes to food consumption to recognize a spectrum of good to bad practices.  Props to any vegans and vegetarians out there, I am working on going full vegetarian but still doing a couple of meat / fish dishes a week.  

Some other advice I am happy to give, but have too much fun being a petty asshole to follow: it might be helpful to recognize that while society is the sum of our choices, we are also all heavily influenced by geography and culture and that most people aren't going to be saints on ethical food consumption all the time.  Glass houses and all.  It's probably ok to have commentary on this without taking shots at someone just because their country is absolutely shitty.

Plus, you know, Our Pets. Who do really need / eat meat products etc., unless birds -- though a lot of birds do also eat meat.

On 8/31/2021 at 7:33 AM, Arakan said:

o, no you do not claim any moral superiority but that is exactly what you do by pointing out that you‘ve been a vegetarian basically all your life by choice, even since 4, how noble. And you very clearly make a value judgement that eating meat is worse than trophy hunting. So the substinence farmer from Latin America, Africa or the Balkans who raises, kills and eats their own pig, mutt, chicken or cow is according to you worse than the rich fucking asshole trophy hunter from your country (USA)

Fucking hell Arakan. I don't even fully agree with Chataya's position here but you could at least have the dignity to respond to what she said, not what the imaginary American in your head said. She very deliberately specified factory farming as her focus of criticism; bringing up subsistence farmers who eat their own animals while quoting the paragraph in which she mentioned factory farming is just dishonest argument.

9 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Because you, Arakan, are the very soul of empathy and compassion. Look at everything you’ve ever written about me, for example.

:rofl:

You know, I may be all first world this and that, but no one can ever accuse me of sucking up to anyone or not being authentic. 

He shouldn't have singled you out but he's got a point about how out of touch a lot of Westerners are with the reality of poverty around the globe. 

As fr the second part of your post, c'mon. You're better than that. 

4 minutes ago, HoodedCrow said:

My cousin broke it to me gently. Chickens are cannibals, if they get the chance.

Many animals are.

Also, being left-handed, chances are I cannibalized my right-handed twin in utero. Om nom nom.

Archived