Who will be Dragon riders?

As far as I can tell, the world of asoiaf currently has the potential to make up to six characters dragon riders.

Of six known possible dragons, only one is definitely claimed. who will ride the others?

We have: 

Drogon - Dany

Viserion

Rhaegal

and we have our stone Dragon candidates, the wild dragons associated with dragonseeds:

Cannibal (probably in Skagos)

Sheepstealer (in the mountains of the moon)

Silverwing (and egg?/ Red lake or Winterfell)

Who will ride who? step up and play the game.

There are basically three candidates for Viserion and Rhaegal's first riders at this point: Brown Ben Plumm who has a sufficient amount of Targaryen blood to mount a dragon, Tyrion Lannister if he were to be revealed the bastard son of Aerys II, and Victarion Greyjoy if Dragonbinder works the way he thinks it does.

If Tyrion were to become a dragonrider he would likely keep that dragon until his death - which might be at the end of the series or not at all, so chances are very bad that this dragon would get a second rider.

If Vic or Ben claimed a dragon, chances are much better that they would die, allowing the dragon to bond with another rider, possibly Jon Snow or Aegon or some other person further down the road.

If Tyrion wouldn't become a dragonrider then both Viserion and Rhaegal might have more than one rider before the series is over, if Tyrion does become a dragonrider then this is only the case for one of them.

But even if Vic or Ben became a dragonrider we cannot really expect them to die a couple of days later. The power and prestige that comes with being a dragonrider might turn them into very important people who cling to life until the very end of the series.

Next dragonrider will become Rhaego, and his dragon is Rhaegal. They bonded back in AGOT, Dany IV. So Rhaegal is already taken, and he won't accept any other rider.

The last is Jon/Viserion.

The other three dragons are probably long dead.

P.S. My explanation how come Rhaego is alive, and why after Dany the next will be him and then Jon:

https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/159054-swan-song-part-1116-the-stallion-that-mounts-the-world/

https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/159058-swan-song-part-1216-the-dragon-has-three-heads/

Daenerys will be with Drogon.  Viserion and Rhaegal will be ridden by her husbands.  Both men will have Targaryen blood.  I don't think Tyrion, Jon, Barristan, or Jorah would qualify.  It's too bad. I want to have Barristan and Jorah on Rhaegal and Viserion. To me, the leading candidates are Aegon Blackfyre and Edric Storm.  There will be symmetry with her ancestors (Visenya, Aegon, Rhaenys).  

Talking about symmetry, their enemies, the Ice cubes will have three direwolves and their wargs. John, Arya, and Bran.  

Y'all are boring. half the conceit of this game is giving riders to the all dragons I mentioned even if you don't generally believe they'll be around. speculate on dragonseeds at the least.

Jon on Silverwing or its color matching child (the egg in winterfell)

Tyrion on Sheepstealer with the help of his burned friends

Davos Seaworth, a targ bastard of flee bottom, on Cannibal in Skaagos.

I mean the black dread lived well over 200 years. these ones may just be hiding in their remote dens. don't overthink it. or overthink it, that's fine too.

Tyrion Viserion until it dies.

Aegon Rhaegal. Maybe others after Aegon dies.

Stannis in his second life will either become an ice dragon or an Other like that rides the ice dragon.

Dany's second life will transform Drogon into a new dragon that Jon will ride the once.

There won't be any other dragons ridden.

15 hours ago, Rondo said:

Viserion and Rhaegal will be ridden by her husbands.  Both men will have Targaryen blood. 

Talking about symmetry,

Talking about symmetry and Targaryen blood - both Jon and Rhaego are grandsons of Aerys and Rhaella. So the three dragonriders are - a child of the Mad King and his two grandchildren. A female and two males, in reverse to Aegon the Conqueror and his sister-wives. Both of the Conqueror's riding-companions were closely related to him, so Dany's companions should be also closely bloodrelated to her. Thus Euron, Jorah, Barristan, Brown Ben Plumm, Tyrion, fAegon, or any others are not a viable option. Furthermore, according to the Undying, Dany will have three husbands - Drogo, Hizdahr, so there's only one slot left, and that last one is Jon. So Dany won't have two husbands. She will execute Hizdahr for setting her up, and then she will marry only once, with Jon. Thus the other dragonrider won't be Dany's husband, instead it will be her son, Rhaego.

17 hours ago, Megorova said:

Talking about symmetry and Targaryen blood - both Jon and Rhaego are grandsons of Aerys and Rhaella. So the three dragonriders are - a child of the Mad King and his two grandchildren. A female and two males, in reverse to Aegon the Conqueror and his sister-wives. Both of the Conqueror's riding-companions were closely related to him, so Dany's companions should be also closely bloodrelated to her. Thus Euron, Jorah, Barristan, Brown Ben Plumm, Tyrion, fAegon, or any others are not a viable option. Furthermore, according to the Undying, Dany will have three husbands - Drogo, Hizdahr, so there's only one slot left, and that last one is Jon. So Dany won't have two husbands. She will execute Hizdahr for setting her up, and then she will marry only once, with Jon. Thus the other dragonrider won't be Dany's husband, instead it will be her son, Rhaego.

The most likely father of Jon are Ned, Mance, or even Brandon.  Edric is a bastard but that is not important to the dragons.  A Blackfyre is also a former bastard branch, but dragons are not into social labels.

On 9/1/2021 at 7:13 AM, Megorova said:

Drogon to Viserion: "Hey slow down there dude, you got some little smear or something on your back. Lemme get it for you."

V to D: "Back off asshole, that's Rhaego, my rider. And quit with the Basket Case jokes already"

The 4 characters I have pegged as dragonriders are:

- Dany on Drogon

- Frog on Viserion

- Loras on one of the re-awakened "stone dragons" of Dragonstone.

- Jon Snow on the Dragon of Winterfell.

I think there will be more than 4 dragon-riders.  I just have no clear ideas for riders beyond the 4 above.  The thought occurred to me that Penny is skilled at riding weird animals, and this might be a setup for her riding Rhaegal (in whom Tyrion is living his second life after having been forced by Victarion to blow the dragonbinder horn).  She also could be a dragonseed for all we know.  I do think (f)Aegon will get himself a dragon, but I am unsure if this will be as a rider, or merely as a general.

On 8/31/2021 at 4:53 PM, Targaryeninkingslanding said:

As far as I can tell, the world of asoiaf currently has the potential to make up to six characters dragon riders.

Of six known possible dragons, only one is definitely claimed. who will ride the others?

We have: 

Drogon - Dany

Viserion

Rhaegal

and we have our stone Dragon candidates, the wild dragons associated with dragonseeds:

Daenerys will ride Drogon.  She may even ride Rhaegal and Viserion for a time.  She has a special bond with HER dragons.  She is the Mother of Dragons. 

Cannibal was old already during the dance.  He's bones by now.  Sheepstealer will already have a rider if she/he is still alive.  I am guessing an Ibenesse. 

On 8/31/2021 at 4:53 PM, Targaryeninkingslanding said:

We have: 

Drogon - Dany

Viserion

Rhaegal

My take is that each of Dany's dragons inherited the aspect of the life used to hatch the egg. So Drogon is clearly Drogo -- spirited, willful, aggressive. Rhaegal is MMD -- she seems rather leery of Dany, almost suspicious. Viseryon is Rhaego, whose remains I suspect were in the pyre too. Notice how Vis is always clinging to Dany, like a child wanting its mother.

So with that in mind, I can't say who will ride which dragon, but I can take a guess as to who should ride which dragon. Dany should take Viseryon, since his primary goal would be her safety. Jon should take Drogo, because he will make best of use of his aggression, and Tyrion should take Rhaegal, since he will be the least trustworthy of Dany's disciples, more intent on serving his own agenda, not her's.

But in the end it's all just guesswork.

• 1 month later...

Archived