Joe Abercrombie: You Say you want a revolution [SPOILERS including the new sample chapter]

Darzin

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Huh. Makes me think those photos from a writer’s room in Studio Culver City from a few years back was put together and possibly led by Miller.

Very cool.

ETA: Huh, came in to link that thread once I was home, and I see the top response is Mark Lawrence saying that a year ago (i.e. 6 years ago) he was told the Deadpool director was trying to make it happen. So, I guess that's a yes?

Has someone with more tech-savvy than me looked at those photos and figured out whether that was an adaption of the Blade itself or whether it was Best Served Cold now that we know that project is in the works?

21 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Has someone with more tech-savvy than me looked at those photos and figured out whether that was an adaption of the Blade itself or whether it was Best Served Cold now that we know that project is in the works?

Blade Itself. But at Abercrombie said, they've been trying to get something done. It seems like at that time, it was a proposed tv series (at least, he said it wasn't a film)

With obvious acknowledgement that the actual author knows far better than I and he'd make the right call ... I don't think cutting Shenkt (mentioned earlier) would be ideal.

Of course, my own opinion on that is more tied to how he relates to the wider powers that be more than this specific story ... and that's perhaps a good place to cut for a movie trying to cover many things in 2 hrs ... but, assuming this is a hoped for first foray into the wider world, I'd want that link preserved and the seeds of the story of those powers planted formerly in the movie's narrative.

18 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Nicomo Coscage 

Not a fan of this suggestion at all.  Nick Cage basically just plays Nick Cage these days and I've already seen that.  I want to see Cosca. 

1 hour ago, Darzin said:

How approved is this? Is it 100% confirmed or still in the pitch phase? 

Joe notes that a lot can still derail it. But having a director and a lead actor attached is further along than just being in development.

9 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

I don't know if it's the right look but take Nick Cage from Con Air and give him as giant moustache ... I can dig it.

Whoever they pick needs to have a really good subtle sarcasm and smirking comedic flair.

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY! 

:D

On 5/31/2023 at 4:02 PM, Ser Not Appearing said:

I don't know if it's the right look but take Nick Cage from Con Air and give him as giant moustache ... I can dig it.

Whoever they pick needs to have a really good subtle sarcasm and smirking comedic flair.

Bruce Campbell is too old these days. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Nice to read this, even though BSC is the only book set in that universe that did nothing for me. If it leads to adaptation of the First Law or The Heroes in the long run however, this will be joyous news.

Well, count me in the group that loves BSC. And in terms of where to start, BSC is a safer choice, since it's a standalone and doesn't require much world knowledge. From a world building perspective the first trilogy might be the way to go, but that is a greater time and money investment. The Heroes simply wouldn't work as the first story to adapt due the plot and necessary world building. Red Country would also be challenging, though I can see RC being the second story to adapt after BSC, since we would get Cosca again.

First Law would be good as a TV series imo. If that is popular enough, the standalones could follow as movies.

I think you can rejig The Heroes easily to make a great film out of it. You'd lack a bit of the background on characters like Black Dew and Bayaz, but that is not strictly speaking necessary to understand the main lines of the story.

The only main blocker for The Heroes would be the budget. On that front I guess BSC is the safer choice, because the threshold for a good adaptation of the story would be a lot lower in terms of budget. If you can get a competent action director with a big enough budget though, The Heroes adaptation would blow BSC out of the water.

1 hour ago, 3CityApache said:

Exactly the same for me. That's why I thought it was an odd choice for an adaptation.

You know, I think you and I are the only people who are of this opinion on this forum at least. I always assumed it was most people's favourite Abercrombie book, oddly enough. 

BSC was my least favorite of the series on my first read.  But it held up very well on the reread (better than TBI or RC).  Monza and Shivers both have great arcs. The House of Pleasure chapters are fun and hilarious.  Some great side characters. 

Edited by Maithanet

Using BSC as the starting point...I do see how it can work, but how do you, or do you even, lay groundwork for The First Law stuff...? That's what I wonder about.  

That said, this could be a really fun movie. BSC is likely my favorite also, though I really liked The Heroes also...