Berserk and ASOIAF

Orion2

On 9/1/2021 at 11:57 AM, Orion2 said:

I don't know if any of you have read Berserk (its a manga), but I've been reading it and I wondered if anyone had noticed parallels between it and ASOIAF. It's great, but kinda dark and edgy so I hope there's not to many. 

Some I've noticed: Griffith--> Young Griff, correct me if I'm wrong but I think Griffith even had blue hair in Berserk,

Also the Targaryens/Valerians remind me A LOT of Apostles. Especially this line 

Lysono Maar spoke the Common Tongue very well. “I have the honor to be the eyes and ears of the Golden Company, princess.”

“You look… ” She hesitated.

“…like a woman?” He laughed. “That I am not.”

“ …like a Targaryen,” Arianne insisted. His eyes were a pale lilac, his hair a waterfall of white and gold. All the same, something about him made her skin crawl. Was this what Viserys looked like? she found herself wondering. If so perhaps it is a good thing he is dead.  

Any way hope you enjoy, and here's to there not being to many parallels:cheers:

PS, I do suppose that the Uncanny Valley thing that goes on with the Apostles is a very common horror trope, never the less I think there might be something here, for instance the blood/fire magic sacrifice is very similar to what the Apostles do to get there power ( edit I have gotten there and its a bit different; haven't gotten there yet but think Griffin sacrificing Gutts, at least I think thats what happens. :/ , think Danny sacrificing Drogo. Obv they're not the same, but there are similarities. I don't know if y'all know if George has said anything about this. 

PPS, I think the horror aspect of the Valerians hasn't been explored enough. Not that its relevant to y'all, but on my first reading my main association with the Targaryens was a sort of supernatural horror, I wonder if anyone else feels this way. Obv I think this is an impt part of the interpretation

PPPS - I suppose that Euron reminds me a bit of Griffith as well. Maybe its just that they're both psycopaths 

Also there's literally a god of death in Berserk. V cute George 

god I hope he didn't draw inspiration from this

well here's the original post if you're interested @Loose Bolt

I got embarrassed and deleted it, maybe you're interested in Berserk too? this is my first time reading it, and after getting further I didn't feel like there was as much similarity. Its really interesting to see a Japanese guy try to write medieval European fantasy. 

There are sort of similar parts but they're fragmented, and superficially the apostles are much different than Valerians, nevertheless I feel like there's some similarities, tho I can't tell if it has more to do with similarities between almost all fantasy or just between the series. There are also certain scenes that remind me eerily of asoiaf, but in a sort of weird twisted way, like the tress with faces and sacrificing people too them, tho again that could be a historical thing I'm not aware of. Anyway, hope you find this interesting

edit* yeah there are parallels im almost done with berserk, I dont know I there's anything interesting to say, but maybe you guys will enjoy talking about this^_^

ASOIAF has been around for a couple of decades now. It's entirely possible that there are authors who have been influenced by it, or have downright stolen ideas from it. A few years ago, a friend lent me a science fiction book that she liked, and in the first few chapters, I noticed about a dozen similarities to ASOIAF. There were even two characters named Jora'h and Bron'n, written like that with the apostrophes. I gave the book back to her, and told her the title should have been "Game of Thrones in Outer Space."

1 hour ago, Aebram said:

ASOIAF has been around for a couple of decades now. It's entirely possible that there are authors who have been influenced by it, or have downright stolen ideas from it. A few years ago, a friend lent me a science fiction book that she liked, and in the first few chapters, I noticed about a dozen similarities to ASOIAF. There were even two characters named Jora'h and Bron'n, written like that with the apostrophes. I gave the book back to her, and told her the title should have been "Game of Thrones in Outer Space."

It dates to before ASOIAF, started in 1989. And it's set in a fantasy medieval world, not space.

Young Griff is definitely inspired by the young and handsome blond-haired mercenary leader named Griffith, leader of the "Company of the Hawk". Even Griff's soon-to-be attraction to either Arianne or Elia which will likely screw him over is a lot like Griffith sleeping with the princess leading to his arrest and torture and putting him on the path to sacrifice everything to the demons to reach for his dream.

Coldhands is like the Skull Knight.

@Egged yeah I did know

I just finished it. I rly rly enjoyed it

and yeah hopefully not lol

bro I just gotta say this is some of the best stuff ive ever read. felt like Tolstoy 

I like the skull knight cold hands comparison

I kinda hope George doesnt do him like that. I like young griff/aegon. he actually does sort of give me Griffith vibes tho with his arrogance. or just sense of destiny. I think it'd make for a great story. I can even see more of Griffiths arc being played out if euron gets involved. euron also reminds me of Griffith. its like George split the dark and the light in Griffith and put the light in YG and the dark in euron

8 hours ago, Orion2 said:

@Egged yeah I did know

I just finished it. I rly rly enjoyed it

and yeah hopefully not lol

bro I just gotta say this is some of the best stuff ive ever read. felt like Tolstoy 

I like the skull knight cold hands comparison

I kinda hope George doesnt do him like that. I like young griff/aegon. he actually does sort of give me Griffith vibes tho with his arrogance. or just sense of destiny. I think it'd make for a great story. I can even see more of Griffiths arc being played out if euron gets involved. euron also reminds me of Griffith. its like George split the dark and the light in Griffith and put the light in YG and the dark in euron

I think Aegon will end up in a trial of seven against Gregor, alongside three Sand Snakes, Duck, maybe Loras if he isn't actually wounded, Lancel, or Sandor. Connington is probably already exiled by then due to grayscale, but he's another candidate. Who survives or doesn't, who knows, but I think Cersei "wins" this trial. Quick and easy way for all to end the war, just not the way they expected.

I think Euron will capture Arianne. I think his attack on the west coast is a big diversion, and the ships Victarion he believes he lost to a storm turned back to attack the east coast. He said they were "fit to meet a king's fleet in battle" while cursing "the Storm God", who has been constantly equated with Euron.

On 9/2/2021 at 4:27 PM, Megorova said:

Do you know that Berserk's author died earlier this year? Thus Berserk will remain forever uncompleted. I do hope that Berserk and ASOIAF won't be similar in this aspect.

I've kinda made my peace with we probably won't see a conclusion to ASoIaF in written form. Maybe George isn't blowing smoke and he really is almost don with Winds. Dream? That's all it is.

3 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

I've kinda made my peace with we probably won't see a conclusion to ASoIaF in written form. Maybe George isn't blowing smoke and he really is almost don with Winds. Dream? That's all it is.

lets hope

4 hours ago, Egged said:

I think Aegon will end up in a trial of seven against Gregor, alongside three Sand Snakes, Duck, maybe Loras if he isn't actually wounded, Lancel, or Sandor. Connington is probably already exiled by then due to grayscale, but he's another candidate. Who survives or doesn't, who knows, but I think Cersei "wins" this trial. Quick and easy way for all to end the war, just not the way they expected.

I think Euron will capture Arianne. I think his attack on the west coast is a big diversion, and the ships Victarion he believes he lost to a storm turned back to attack the east coast. He said they were "fit to meet a king's fleet in battle" while cursing "the Storm God", who has been constantly equated with Euron.

I want to see a dance of the dragons 

3 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

Still, there's huge difference between Berserk and ASOIAF - Miura had to create both the art and the script, and he wasn't making anything ahead, so when he died, that was the end of Berserk (unless he shared with someone (like one of his assistants) what are his plans concerning the ending of Berserk. Which is doubtful, because his death was sudden, and he had no reasons to think that he needs to tell someone what to do with his project, in case if he won't be able to complete it). Though, ASOIAF is a book/text only, so even if the remaining two books won't be completed by GRRM in his lifetime, nevertheless there will be left partial manuscripts and a lot of notes. So we won't be left with nothing, like it was with Berserk.

Miura's lifestyle in the past 15 years was very unhealthy, that's why he died at the age 54, even though in Japan Life expectancy is 84 years.

12 minutes ago, Megorova said:

Still, there's huge difference between Berserk and ASOIAF - Miura had to create both the art and the script, and he wasn't making anything ahead, so when he died, that was the end of Berserk (unless he shared with someone (like one of his assistants) what are his plans concerning the ending of Berserk. Which is doubtful, because his death was sudden, and he had no reasons to think that he needs to tell someone what to do with his project, in case if he won't be able to complete it). Though, ASOIAF is a book/text only, so even if the remaining two books won't be completed by GRRM in his lifetime, nevertheless there will be left partial manuscripts and a lot of notes. So we won't be left with nothing, like it was with Berserk.

berserk is art man. I was just listening to the guts theme. made me wanna cry

also yeah at least we have that

1 hour ago, Orion2 said:

I want to see a dance of the dragons 

George said the second dance of dragons didn’t have to be Dany’s invasion, as in it could be in Essos. My guess is this “dance” is just the dragons’ destruction in Essos. Remember ADWD was supposed to feature this dance but got too long. There is no way that with the amount of stuff remaining before Dany goes to Westeros that it would have involved her in Westeros.

18 hours ago, Egged said:

George said the second dance of dragons didn’t have to be Dany’s invasion, as in it could be in Essos. My guess is this “dance” is just the dragons’ destruction in Essos. Remember ADWD was supposed to feature this dance but got too long. There is no way that with the amount of stuff remaining before Dany goes to Westeros that it would have involved her in Westeros.

yeah but it'd be tragic and awesome if her and aegon had issues.  I can't argue with ur logic tho

interestingly Mangaka often work with teams of assistants, and I think Kentaro Miura's head assistant is still working on the series in some capacity. There may be a continuation spearheaded by this team (it seems the editorial department for Berserk is in favor of this), or there may not be, but I think I read that they do plan to work to release at least one more chapter in the near future. a bittersweet thing to look forward too.

There is also a secret chapter that was removed from circulation by the author because it reveals deep lore about the world and how Griffith and god hand received their powers, though too early in the story by Miura's admission. Chapter 80 something.

On 9/8/2021 at 10:48 PM, Targaryeninkingslanding said:

There may be a continuation spearheaded by this team (it seems the editorial department for Berserk is in favor of this)

Unless Miura gave them permission (writen permission, like mentioned them in his will), they have no right to keep making more of Berserk, because even in Japan exists this thing called Copyright.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries'_copyright_lengths#Copyright_duration_by_country

So if he didn't gave them permission to continue his work after his death, they won't be able to publish nothing for the next 70 years. Even if one of his assistants would like to keep working on Berserk, the availability of someone who knows what Miura planned to write, or if that person was intending to write his own ending for Berserk, is not the problem. If Miura didn't gave written permission, then no matter how many people will be willing to continue working on Berserk to give the fandom a proper finale, they just CAN'T, Because it's against the law.

On 9/8/2021 at 10:48 PM, Targaryeninkingslanding said:

I think I read that they do plan to work to release at least one more chapter in the near future

I heard about that too. But if there is one more chapter left, then it was the one that Miura did, while he was still alive and still working with the publisher. So this one chapter they have a right to release. But the rest (possible continuation without Miura) is questionable.

Edit: The publishers confirmed in the last chapter that it's the end, so there will be no independent continuation. Also - the child is Griffith? That's WEIRD.

45 minutes ago, Megorova said:

Unless Miura gave them permission (writen permission, like mentioned them in his will), they have no right to keep making more of Berserk, because even in Japan exists this thing called Copyright.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries'_copyright_lengths#Copyright_duration_by_country

So if he didn't gave them permission to continue his work after his death, they won't be able to publish nothing for the next 70 years. Even if one of his assistants would like to keep working on Berserk, the availability of someone who knows what Miura planned to write, or if that person was intending to write his own ending for Berserk, is not the problem. If Miura didn't gave written permission, then no matter how many people will be willing to continue working on Berserk to give the fandom a proper finale, they just CAN'T, Because it's against the law.

No shit Sherlock. ownership of the series will likely default to his family who very may want to see some form of his work finished, provided that Miura did not give permission to the company that published Berserk to do so already. or they will want the money. or they will be content with it ending and we will never get any more. I never made claim to what will happen, only that those people more publicly associated with the work have expressed a desire to continue it rather than retire the series.

Archived