What are or should be, fertile populated and rich lands in the North, besides White Harbor and the lands controlled by the Manderly's?

Alex13

I would be curious to know what region of the North, besides the lands controlled by House Manderly, would be rich; i am referring to income obtained through rents from people living on the lands, income obtained through trade, agriculture and/or natural resources and lands that should have a pretty high population. And what house or houses control that region.

I would imagine that such lands exist, but that they are probably under-developed.

Also, i imagine that with the climate/season change that will most likely happen during or after A Dream of Spring (with the seasons being the same length as they are in the real world), places in the North, will become more fertile and will start yielding more crops, especially in places like the Barrowlands or the lands of House Manderly, which are situated in the south of the North and where the climate will be warmer. But are there any other regions in the North, that could benefit from a more stable climate and season change, which could lead to a more fertile land, that produces more agricultural goods and that would possibly lead to an increase of population and riches?

It won't make the North the new Reach or Arbor, but it could allow them to become more agriculturally developed and more food independent, without relying so much on food imports from the Riverlands and the reach.

4 hours ago, Alex13 said:

Also, i imagine that with the climate/season change that will most likely happen during or after A Dream of Spring (with the seasons being the same length as they are in the real world), places in the North, will become more fertile

What makes you think this  will happen?

To answer your broader question, I don't think any part of the North can be described as rich, except maybe for White Harbor.  The North is very sparsely populated.  Some of the lords in their castles may be wealthy, but the smallfolk that pay their taxes probably have a tough life.  The most prosperous parts are probably the southron regions, and also the coastal areas where the Winter cold is moderated by the ocean, and where ships can dock to facilitate trade.

13 hours ago, Aebram said:

What makes you think this  will happen?

I imagine that if the climate of Planetos/Westeros will become more real world like, more regular, then the southern part of the North (the Barrowlands and lands of House Manderly) would become more fertile, due to a stable climate, warmer weather coming from the south and possibly increased rainfall. 

3 hours ago, Alex13 said:

I imagine that if the climate of Planetos/Westeros will become more real world like, more regular, then the southern part of the North (the Barrowlands and lands of House Manderly) would become more fertile, due to a stable climate, warmer weather coming from the south and possibly increased rainfall. 

Surely the North will have the same sun/rain/snow periods over the space of a decade, just over the course of 12 months instead of however many years are in one of their seasons.

GRRM talks of their being regular snow storms during Summer. That is not going to change.

11 hours ago, Alex13 said:

Sorry, my first question was unclear. What I meant is:  What makes you think that the seasons will become regular?

13 hours ago, Aebram said:

Sorry, my first question was unclear. What I meant is:  What makes you think that the seasons will become regular?

Well, from the various theories that i have read and heard, it would seem that at the end of A Dream of Spring, once the situation with the Others is resolved, the seasons should/will become more regular, similar to real world seasons. 

That is, if the theories will be right, of course. 

10 hours ago, Alex13 said:

Well, from the various theories that i have read and heard, it would seem that at the end of A Dream of Spring, once the situation with the Others is resolved, the seasons should/will become more regular, similar to real world seasons. 

That is, if the theories will be right, of course. 

Of course ... and I have my doubts.  There's very little evidence for this.  TWOIAF tells us that there are some folk tales or legends -- "the most acient of tales" -- of a time when the seasons were predictable.  The maesters are divided over whether this is true, and whether magic is involved. 

I don't know of much else that supports the idea.  Of course, GRRM loves his foreshadowings; so the mere presence of that one paragraph in TWOIAF may be a stronger clue than the words alone. If you know of other theories with more evidence, can you post some links please?

On 9/1/2021 at 2:55 PM, Alex13 said:

I would be curious to know what region of the North, besides the lands controlled by House Manderly, would be rich; i am referring to income obtained through rents from people living on the lands, income obtained through trade, agriculture and/or natural resources and lands that should have a pretty high population. And what house or houses control that region.

I would imagine that such lands exist, but that they are probably under-developed.

Also, i imagine that with the climate/season change that will most likely happen during or after A Dream of Spring (with the seasons being the same length as they are in the real world), places in the North, will become more fertile and will start yielding more crops, especially in places like the Barrowlands or the lands of House Manderly, which are situated in the south of the North and where the climate will be warmer. But are there any other regions in the North, that could benefit from a more stable climate and season change, which could lead to a more fertile land, that produces more agricultural goods and that would possibly lead to an increase of population and riches?

It won't make the North the new Reach or Arbor, but it could allow them to become more agriculturally developed and more food independent, without relying so much on food imports from the Riverlands and the reach.

The story is not headed in that direction. At least in my opinion. The North will experience an Ice Age. The soil beneath the ice might be fertile but vegetation will not return until after the thaw. The people who stay behind will die. Except the Starks. Their place is in Winterfell to serve the White Walkers. 

14 hours ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

The story is not headed in that direction. At least in my opinion. The North will experience an Ice Age. The soil beneath the ice might be fertile but vegetation will not return until after the thaw. The people who stay behind will die. Except the Starks. Their place is in Winterfell to serve the White Walkers. 

Wut 

On 9/5/2021 at 4:52 AM, Fool Stands On Giant’s Toe said:

I’ve always had an interest in the Rills. The surrounding area has a couple, large and unnamed, rivers and lakes. You’d think would be an ideal area for settlement.

That's what i am also thinking. That would be a good area to have a large population and multiple settlements, not towns, but many villages with high populations. The being in the south of the North and having multiple rivers, could/should allow them to have a better climate and better soil. 

On 9/4/2021 at 9:55 AM, Moiraine Sedai said:

See and I always thought the Red Comet was destined to crash into Westeros. That could be a perfect song of Fire and Ice.

Archived