US Politics: Rural Southernification… (thanks Zorral)

Ser Scot A Ellison

20 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

the implication that minority votes belong monolithically to one party is racist itself. 

Dang. I guess I have to do what I always do, and explain things in the simplest possible terms so other people can understand.

From 1861-1865 there was a Civil War in this country. The Southern Slave owning states tried to secede from the Union because they were afraid Abraham Lincoln would abolish slavery, and they wanted to continue owning other people.

These states (AKA the Confederacy) lost the war. 

Now the decedents of these people are still racist as fuck, and are still living in the same region. And they currently vote Republican.

And we have a two party system.

So would you vote alongside people who think you are less than human mcbigski?

12 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

The rubber meets the road.  A guy who believes that all men are created equal is going to be better for minorities than a guy that monetizes his political power.

I have no idea what the fuck you're even talking about.

15 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

Minority unemployment is higher under Biden than Trump, so I suppose that team will need to beat the racism drum even harder and hope individuals dont think for themselves.

Again, I don't know if you're being ludicrously stupid or absurdly disingenuous.  Either way it's getting really pathetic.  The black and hispanic unemployment rates spiked during covid - just like, ya know, it did for every fucking demographic.  It's been decreasing from that spike since Biden took office, but comparing Trump's entire four years to Biden's nine months - all the while still obviously dealing with a global pandemic and subsequent economic crisis - frankly doesn't even warrant a response.

As for the rest of your post, why the fuck are you bringing up a comparison of Trump and Biden's sons?  Seems like you got weird ass fetish there.

19 minutes ago, DMC said:

The black and hispanic unemployment rates spiked during covid - just like, ya know, it did for every fucking demographic.  It's been decreasing from that spike since Biden took office, but comparing Trump's entire four years to Biden's nine months - all the while still obviously dealing with a global pandemic and subsequent economic crisis - frankly doesn't even warrant a response.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but didn't Trump leave office with negative job growth overall? 

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

Meh, depends.  December saw losses, January saw gains.  Here, I looked it up lazy!

Hey, I was doing the important thing, looking up college basketball stats! 

Man, that line is really fucking flat until the record skips.

Well, I think we can all see what can be gained by trying to have a reasonable discussion with a Republican in 2021. 

We learned:

1. Democrats are always the racists at all points in history, no matter the context or events going on. Even in the Multiverse, the Democats are always the racists in every possible world and dimension.

2. African-Americans by freely choosing to vote for one of the two major political parties are "owned" by doing so. (And this of course does not apply to white southerners choosing to vote for a certain political party, they are just trying maximize the freedom)

3. Donald Trump Jr. is totally not a nepotism hire. 

I really don't know why yall are even bothering with him. There is no chance that someone who elides covid as a reason for unemployment numbers is going to be convinced of anything. 

He's one or two steps away from eating horse dewormer for the fresh taste and investing in gold coins and mesothelioma. 

5 minutes ago, Kaligator said:

I really don't know why yall are even bothering with him. There is no chance that someone who elides covid as a reason for unemployment numbers is going to be convinced of anything. 

He's one or two steps away from eating horse dewormer for the fresh taste and investing in gold coins and mesothelioma. 

You guys just bash mesothelioma without even giving it a chance.  #echochamber

@Tywin et al.

What I'm talking about is essentially asking you (all Americans around and the rest of us who may be dealing with similar stuff elsewhere) to think twice before you may end up killing each other, any more than you already are. That's what it all boils down to. Such worries may well be overblown, but I can't discount them either. You can see my first reply on the other thread and the replies around it to see why that came up in the first place, and why I approached it the way I did.

I don't expect you to agree on anything.

41 minutes ago, TsarGrey said:

@Tywin et al.

What I'm talking about is essentially asking you (all Americans around and the rest of us who may be dealing with similar stuff elsewhere) to think twice before you may end up killing each other, any more than you already are. That's what it all boils down to. Such worries may well be overblown, but I can't discount them either. You can see my first reply on the other thread and the replies around it to see why that came up in the first place, and why I approached it the way I did.

I don't expect you to agree on anything.

How did that respectful exchange of views among diametrically opposed Americans go? One stated demonstrably false statements (typical of the rightwing'o'sphere -- up to the Hunter Biden-obsession) and the remainder calmly and then angrily corrected. So, how can you find middle ground when the facts are disputed?

Once facts are (accurately) disputed, it becomes a pissing contest (well, I mean look at Trump's employment numbers. Not impressed? Look at Hunter Biden! Not impressed? Look at Lincoln Republicans and how racists Democrats were! Not impressed? Well, minorities only vote Democrat because their are paid off AND it's really racist of you to suggest that the minority vote is a monolith!) A game of whataboutism where the avenue to victory for the rightwinger is paved solely in "owning the lib" and just wastes time.

So, how again does this thoughtful conversation work?

It's weird to claim there weren't guns at the Jan 1 insurrection that were carried by the insurrectionists, when google images shows hundreds of fotos on cell fones of exactly that -- most of them taken by the carriers and their friends themselves -- call it 'friendly fire?'

Just because only one of the arrests -- of the very very very very few arrests made -- included a man with a loaded handgun doesn't mean the weapons weren't there -- when the photos and video show them indeed to be there in the hands and arms of the insurrectionists who weren't there.  There's also been so much testimony by those who have been arrested since on the order, "well I brought some, but left them in the truck - hotel room - turned around and put them in the truck, etc. etc. etc."

Those who are claiming otherwise are in the camp of the rethuglicans, who preposterously claim facts don't exist, that those fotos just show a typical group of Capitol tourists on a typical day in D.C.

Gimme a break.  And stop giving Putin a good reason to point fingers at you and laff laff laff as you aid and abet his delight in actively destabilizing the US and bringing down the western governments.

Archived