US Politics: Rural Southernification… (thanks Zorral)

Ser Scot A Ellison

3 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Question from an ignorant Eurocommie...
How likely is the secession of Texas?

I know it's been discussed in the past; but it seems to me that the likelihood has increased by at least 1 order of magnitude recently, with the the Justice Department sueing the state over the new abortion law; and now federal government imposing a vaccine mandate on all employees and those who do business with the federal government.

The last time I checked in on the debate, the polarisation of US politics was way, way less severe (pre-Trump, possibly even Obama;s first term). I'd be interested to hear views currently.

It is highly unlikely.  It if were attempted… very bad things will follow.

3 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Question from an ignorant Eurocommie...
How likely is the secession of Texas?

I know it's been discussed in the past; but it seems to me that the likelihood has increased by at least 1 order of magnitude recently, with the the Justice Department sueing the state over the new abortion law; and now federal government imposing a vaccine mandate on all employees and those who do business with the federal government.

The last time I checked in on the debate, the polarisation of US politics was way, way less severe (pre-Trump, possibly even Obama;s first term). I'd be interested to hear views currently.

They would happily make war upon the rest of us with our tax-paid weapons on our tax supported military bases and ports in Texas.  They would do it to make the rest of us TX -- just like they declared war on the USA in the War of the Rebellion (official federal name of what is popularly called the Civil War) to make all of the US, the territories and the states-to-come slave states such as they were.  The objective of the slaveocracy's war was to expand slavery, not to be left alone.  Never forget this fundamental fact about this war.

See, the thing is when TX was its own state, the Republic of TX, it had NO MONEY.  It was dreadfully in debt to various entities in Europe.  It was broke and being foreclosed upon.  Thus it begged to become a state in the USA because then the Yankees would have to pay off its debts.  This is what happened.  Yes, really.

Just like back in the early days of Andrew Jackson Tennessee decided to be a state instead of independent because it was too poor to finance wars of conquest upon the native tribes.  But as a state in the US they could get federal fund to kill Indians, so Tennessee declared it was a state, showed up in D.C.  "Hi, we too are a state in the United States.  Give us money to kill Indians."  They'd not bothered to learn there is a process, including census, proposals, voting etc. first, then in Congress itself as to whether or not such a spot would be approved and allowed to become a state of the US.  So they had to go home and follow the process, fuming the whole time about being bent to the will of others.

All this by way of saying, world be very very very afraid when / if TX secedes.  It has always been run by idiots, and now the idiots are additionally covidiots.  Because TX CANNOT go it alone. Just as all the former slave states have proven over and over, CANNOT go it alone, even in jointure with each other, i.e. see: The War of the Rebellion.

We do not want nor should we advocate for sending millions of people to purgatory because it's politically expedient. It is very distasteful to condemn people because of the government that they don't advocate for. The notion of expulsion of states should not be the answer to states doing bad things to their populations.

24 minutes ago, HoodedCrow said:

Zorral, thanks for the corrective history. These are things that are not told in citizenship class. 

That's because the war has been ongoing by other means including education.  Over which history texts used in our schools are subject to the dominion of TX too, so you know, Glorious Lost Cause, both sides noble in courage, dreadful misunderstanding, states rights, never ever slavery, blahblahblahblah.

The primary reason South Carolina ratified the Constitution and became a state was also to kill Native Americans.  They were too poor to do it on their own -- and besides had so many slaves the white guys were afraid to leave home.  But as a state, the United States would do it for them.

I'm also super amused by the media saying that governors don't have anything to push back on vaccine mandates because there's a century of SCOTUS precedent saying that mandates are legal. Because the implication is that precedent matters any more. 

My suspicion is that the mandates are probably fine, but that is likely because someone like Gorsuch thinks they're fine. It has nothing to do with any precedent, and the notion that this SCOTUS will side with the general rule of federal law over state law is obviously flawed.

Heather Bresch, Joe Manchin’s Daughter, Played Direct Part in EpiPen Price Inflation Scandal

A new email shows the former Mylan CEO worked with her counterpart at Pfizer to corner the market and keep costs up.

The documents also show Bresch approving a scheme to force customers, captured by the company’s monopoly, to purchase two EpiPens at once, regardless of medical need. The EpiPen is an auto-injectable device that injects epinephrine into the body and can be the difference between life or death for a person suffering a severe allergic reaction. (...)

Among the documents is an email sent on behalf of Bresch, who is the daughter of Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., to her counterpart at Pfizer, then-CEO Ian Read. In the email, sent in January 2011, Bresch confirms a previous discussion with Read in which she says that the two agreed that as part of a deal, Pfizer would disinvest from its EpiPen competitor, Adrenaclick. Eliminating its main competitor would then allow Mylan to continue raising its prices. (...)

Following the deal with Pfizer, Mylan drove the price above $600 within five years. Meanwhile, Gayle Manchin, Bresch’s mother, lobbied states to require schools to stock epinephrine as the head of the National Association of State Boards of Education. Gayle Manchin was recently confirmed to serve as co-chair of the federal Appalachian Regional Commission, a government agency tasked with promoting economic development across the region’s 13 states.

Cutting a deal with Pfizer to divest from its competitor may be brazen enough, but to memorialize the agreement in an email produces a startling window into the ways in which corporate executives are able to manipulate markets.(...)

With the monopoly locked down, Mylan made its next move, a plan to eliminate its single-pack EpiPen in the United States and instead require customers to purchase two pens at once. (...) The two schemes were separate but mutually reinforcing. (...) The company also conducted market research and concluded that since it was a matter of life and death, customers would suck it up and buy two pens if that was the only choice. (...)

Bresch had been named chief operating officer of Mylan in October 2007, a promotion that immediately sparked a scandal when the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported that her claim of having a master’s degree in business administration from West Virginia University was false. Bresch’s father Manchin was the state’s governor at the time, and the school soon corrected the paper, saying that she had indeed obtained the degree. A subsequent investigation concluded that the initial answer had been right: Bresch had been far short of a degree, and university administrators fabricated grades to get her over the line, leading to multiple resignations from the university’s senior leadership. Manchin was elected to the Senate in 2012.

Manchin last week urged Democrats to take a “strategic pause” in consideration of the party’s $3.5 trillion reconciliation package, the centerpiece of the Biden agenda. A key component of the bill would lower drug prices by allowing Medicare to negotiate directly with pharmaceutical companies. That market power would save the government and patients billions over the next decade, but perhaps even more importantly, it would give the government greater insight into how pharmaceutical executives set prices. The change could reveal the type of collusion that keeps those rates high, exposing companies to risk of regulation or prosecution.

https://theintercept.com/2021/09/07/joe-manchin-epipen-price-heather-bresch/

Manchins Dirty Empire:

https://theintercept.com/2021/09/03/joe-manchin-coal-fossil-fuels-pollution/

13 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

This slavish devotion to what’s legal will literally end up killing us all. 

Slavish devotion to outdated and/or poorly conceived laws designed to favor certain classes of people, if we want to be sticklers for accuracy. It’s almost always better to have processes that we agree upon as a society, as opposed to, say, breaking out into the equivalent of vigilante mobs to act on matters.

The tendency to go by whether something is legal or not instead of whether it’s good or not, and to not do more to make good and legal agree drives me right up the friggin’ wall though.

1 hour ago, Kaligator said:

I'm also super amused by the media saying that governors don't have anything to push back on vaccine mandates because there's a century of SCOTUS precedent saying that mandates are legal. Because the implication is that precedent matters any more. 

My suspicion is that the mandates are probably fine, but that is likely because someone like Gorsuch thinks they're fine. It has nothing to do with any precedent, and the notion that this SCOTUS will side with the general rule of federal law over state law is obviously flawed.

Yeah, I think a lot of people either don’t realize or are in denial about how much the ground has shifted under our feet in the last 5 years or so. Hopefully things can be made better before they get a rude awakening.

32 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

After a great deal of unpleasantness, yes.

Scot, I have to applaud the sheer amount of understatement you managed to pack into a single sentence here. :bowdown: Well done.

2 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

Manchin last week urged Democrats to take a “strategic pause” in consideration of the party’s $3.5 trillion reconciliation package, the centerpiece of the Biden agenda. A key component of the bill would lower drug prices by allowing Medicare to negotiate directly with pharmaceutical companies. That market power would save the government and patients billions over the next decade, but perhaps even more importantly, it would give the government greater insight into how pharmaceutical executives set prices. The change could reveal the type of collusion that keeps those rates high, exposing companies to risk of regulation or prosecution.

https://theintercept.com/2021/09/07/joe-manchin-epipen-price-heather-bresch/

Manchins Dirty Empire:

https://theintercept.com/2021/09/03/joe-manchin-coal-fossil-fuels-pollution/

If you guys get the power to negotiate drug prices with companies you will have substantially lower drug costs.

The government of Canada does that, but with only 38 M people we don’t have a lot of power. Many drug prices are far lower in the EU. In fact, people here keep saying we have the second highest drug prices in the world (and that might be the western world) after the US. 
Just think about all the stories you’ve seen about bus loads of Americans taking trips to Canada to buy drugs. Think of bloody Trump suggesting US states could lower their costs by buying drugs in Canada, because after all his bragging he’d bring prices down he never wanted to try. He knew they’d run circles around him.

eta: as far as I’m concerned, Manchin’s daughter should be serving time for that, along with Pfizer executives.

2 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

Heather Bresch, Joe Manchin’s Daughter, Played Direct Part in EpiPen Price Inflation Scandal

A new email shows the former Mylan CEO worked with her counterpart at Pfizer to corner the market and keep costs up.

Manchin is as corrupt as any politician. Anything he does is related to money. I mean, at least McConnell is like, "I'm ruining America for my party...and money too." Manchin is just doing it for money.

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

After a great deal of unpleasantness, yes.

Which was rescinded in a most dirty treacherous deal, betraying the great African American military allies that allowed us to win the shooting war -- in order for Republican Rutherford Hayes (1876) to get the Electoral Colleges votes from the south and be president. Thus, the systematic and systemic Jim Crow and apartheid began, hardened into overt law by Woodrow Wilson.

Of course a lot of it going on before that, starting with Louisiana's own riot-coup back in 1866 :

https://www.wwno.org/podcast/tripod-new-orleans-at-300/2016-07-14/an-absolute-massacre-the-1866-riot-at-the-mechanics-institute

See also, later, the Battle of Liberty Place like the Hayes election, also 187:.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Liberty_Place

On 9/9/2021 at 12:41 AM, Tywin et al. said:

Lol. So you have always been arguing in bad faith. I figured as much, but this just confirms it. You attack actual numbers I suggest, but won't make any kind of counter proposal other than to say give me everything or else.

I won't make a "counter-proposal" because you and I aren't "negotiating" actual numbers in any way shape or form.  Seriously, get the fuck over yourself.  It's not arguing in bad faith at all.  You're just delusional in acting like anyone should care about your "proposals."

32 minutes ago, DMC said:

I won't make a "counter-proposal" because you and I aren't "negotiating" actual numbers in any way shape or form.  Seriously, get the fuck over yourself.  It's not arguing in bad faith at all.  You're just delusional in acting like anyone should care about your "proposals."

He meant 33 and one third!

https://youtu.be/tit89ofCOt4

35 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Which was rescinded in a most dirty treacherous deal, betraying the great African American military allies that allowed us to win the shooting war -- in order for Republican Rutherford Hayes (1876) to get the Electoral Colleges votes from the south and be president. Thus, the systematic and systemic Jim Crow and apartheid began, hardened into overt law by Woodrow Wilson.

Of course a lot of it going on before that, starting with Louisiana's own riot-coup back in 1866 :

https://www.wwno.org/podcast/tripod-new-orleans-at-300/2016-07-14/an-absolute-massacre-the-1866-riot-at-the-mechanics-institute

See also, later, the Battle of Liberty Place like the Hayes election, also 187:.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Liberty_Place

I’m well aware of the deal that ended reconstruction and the rebellions that took place in Southern States to end reconstruction.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’m well aware of the deal that ended reconstruction and the rebellions that took place in Southern States to end reconstruction.

Never thought otherwise, but our Eurocommie friend might not have been, so let's make sure our friend does know!  :cheers:

And dayem, those rebellions were never punished, like some far closer to our own time.  It just keeps rolling' with the same people and the same outcomes, it seems so much of the time.  Reconstruction, such a time of hope for African Americans, and then -- poof.  The Civil Rights and Voting Rights Acts of the 60's and 70's the same.  And again, here we go, poof. :crying:

A Maryland Republican judge has killed himself.

Apparently authorities were trying to arrest him on child sex abuse charges. He was secretly filming and inappropriately behaving with boys who had sleepovers at the judges cabin.

https://news.yahoo.com/maryland-judge-kills-himself-moments-184959698.html

Archived