Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ser Scot A Ellison

US Politics: Rural Southernification… (thanks Zorral)

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

There is no method for “expulsion” of a State from the Union once admitted. 

No, but there is a precedent for if the state willfully secedes. The southern states were put under military rule. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heather Bresch, Joe Manchin’s Daughter, Played Direct Part in EpiPen Price Inflation Scandal

A new email shows the former Mylan CEO worked with her counterpart at Pfizer to corner the market and keep costs up.

The documents also show Bresch approving a scheme to force customers, captured by the company’s monopoly, to purchase two EpiPens at once, regardless of medical need. The EpiPen is an auto-injectable device that injects epinephrine into the body and can be the difference between life or death for a person suffering a severe allergic reaction. (...)

Among the documents is an email sent on behalf of Bresch, who is the daughter of Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., to her counterpart at Pfizer, then-CEO Ian Read. In the email, sent in January 2011, Bresch confirms a previous discussion with Read in which she says that the two agreed that as part of a deal, Pfizer would disinvest from its EpiPen competitor, Adrenaclick. Eliminating its main competitor would then allow Mylan to continue raising its prices. (...)

Following the deal with Pfizer, Mylan drove the price above $600 within five years. Meanwhile, Gayle Manchin, Bresch’s mother, lobbied states to require schools to stock epinephrine as the head of the National Association of State Boards of Education. Gayle Manchin was recently confirmed to serve as co-chair of the federal Appalachian Regional Commission, a government agency tasked with promoting economic development across the region’s 13 states.

Cutting a deal with Pfizer to divest from its competitor may be brazen enough, but to memorialize the agreement in an email produces a startling window into the ways in which corporate executives are able to manipulate markets.(...)

With the monopoly locked down, Mylan made its next move, a plan to eliminate its single-pack EpiPen in the United States and instead require customers to purchase two pens at once. (...) The two schemes were separate but mutually reinforcing. (...) The company also conducted market research and concluded that since it was a matter of life and death, customers would suck it up and buy two pens if that was the only choice. (...)

Bresch had been named chief operating officer of Mylan in October 2007, a promotion that immediately sparked a scandal when the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported that her claim of having a master’s degree in business administration from West Virginia University was false. Bresch’s father Manchin was the state’s governor at the time, and the school soon corrected the paper, saying that she had indeed obtained the degree. A subsequent investigation concluded that the initial answer had been right: Bresch had been far short of a degree, and university administrators fabricated grades to get her over the line, leading to multiple resignations from the university’s senior leadership. Manchin was elected to the Senate in 2012.

Manchin last week urged Democrats to take a “strategic pause” in consideration of the party’s $3.5 trillion reconciliation package, the centerpiece of the Biden agenda. A key component of the bill would lower drug prices by allowing Medicare to negotiate directly with pharmaceutical companies. That market power would save the government and patients billions over the next decade, but perhaps even more importantly, it would give the government greater insight into how pharmaceutical executives set prices. The change could reveal the type of collusion that keeps those rates high, exposing companies to risk of regulation or prosecution.

https://theintercept.com/2021/09/07/joe-manchin-epipen-price-heather-bresch/

Manchins Dirty Empire:

https://theintercept.com/2021/09/03/joe-manchin-coal-fossil-fuels-pollution/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

No, but there is a precedent for if the state willfully secedes. The southern states were put under military rule. 

After a great deal of unpleasantness, yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

This slavish devotion to what’s legal will literally end up killing us all. 

Slavish devotion to outdated and/or poorly conceived laws designed to favor certain classes of people, if we want to be sticklers for accuracy. It’s almost always better to have processes that we agree upon as a society, as opposed to, say, breaking out into the equivalent of vigilante mobs to act on matters.

The tendency to go by whether something is legal or not instead of whether it’s good or not, and to not do more to make good and legal agree drives me right up the friggin’ wall though.

1 hour ago, Kaligator said:

I'm also super amused by the media saying that governors don't have anything to push back on vaccine mandates because there's a century of SCOTUS precedent saying that mandates are legal. Because the implication is that precedent matters any more. 

My suspicion is that the mandates are probably fine, but that is likely because someone like Gorsuch thinks they're fine. It has nothing to do with any precedent, and the notion that this SCOTUS will side with the general rule of federal law over state law is obviously flawed.

 

 

Yeah, I think a lot of people either don’t realize or are in denial about how much the ground has shifted under our feet in the last 5 years or so. Hopefully things can be made better before they get a rude awakening.

32 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

After a great deal of unpleasantness, yes.

Scot, I have to applaud the sheer amount of understatement you managed to pack into a single sentence here. :bowdown: Well done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Paladin of Ice said:

Scot, I have to applaud the sheer amount of understatement you managed to pack into a single sentence here. :bowdown: Well done.

Yup.  It screams all the louder for how quietly it describes hell.

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

Manchin last week urged Democrats to take a “strategic pause” in consideration of the party’s $3.5 trillion reconciliation package, the centerpiece of the Biden agenda. A key component of the bill would lower drug prices by allowing Medicare to negotiate directly with pharmaceutical companies. That market power would save the government and patients billions over the next decade, but perhaps even more importantly, it would give the government greater insight into how pharmaceutical executives set prices. The change could reveal the type of collusion that keeps those rates high, exposing companies to risk of regulation or prosecution.

https://theintercept.com/2021/09/07/joe-manchin-epipen-price-heather-bresch/

Manchins Dirty Empire:

https://theintercept.com/2021/09/03/joe-manchin-coal-fossil-fuels-pollution/

If you guys get the power to negotiate drug prices with companies you will have substantially lower drug costs.

The government of Canada does that, but with only 38 M people we don’t have a lot of power. Many drug prices are far lower in the EU. In fact, people here keep saying we have the second highest drug prices in the world (and that might be the western world) after the US. 
Just think about all the stories you’ve seen about bus loads of Americans taking trips to Canada to buy drugs. Think of bloody Trump suggesting US states could lower their costs by buying drugs in Canada, because after all his bragging he’d bring prices down he never wanted to try. He knew they’d run circles around him.

eta: as far as I’m concerned, Manchin’s daughter should be serving time for that, along with Pfizer executives.

Edited by Fragile Bird

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

Heather Bresch, Joe Manchin’s Daughter, Played Direct Part in EpiPen Price Inflation Scandal

A new email shows the former Mylan CEO worked with her counterpart at Pfizer to corner the market and keep costs up.

Manchin is as corrupt as any politician. Anything he does is related to money. I mean, at least McConnell is like, "I'm ruining America for my party...and money too." Manchin is just doing it for money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

After a great deal of unpleasantness, yes.

Which was rescinded in a most dirty treacherous deal, betraying the great African American military allies that allowed us to win the shooting war -- in order for Republican Rutherford Hayes (1876) to get the Electoral Colleges votes from the south and be president. Thus, the systematic and systemic Jim Crow and apartheid began, hardened into overt law by Woodrow Wilson.

Of course a lot of it going on before that, starting with Louisiana's own riot-coup back in 1866 :

https://www.wwno.org/podcast/tripod-new-orleans-at-300/2016-07-14/an-absolute-massacre-the-1866-riot-at-the-mechanics-institute

See also, later, the Battle of Liberty Place like the Hayes election, also 187:.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Liberty_Place

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2021 at 12:41 AM, Tywin et al. said:

Lol. So you have always been arguing in bad faith. I figured as much, but this just confirms it. You attack actual numbers I suggest, but won't make any kind of counter proposal other than to say give me everything or else.

I won't make a "counter-proposal" because you and I aren't "negotiating" actual numbers in any way shape or form.  Seriously, get the fuck over yourself.  It's not arguing in bad faith at all.  You're just delusional in acting like anyone should care about your "proposals."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, DMC said:

I won't make a "counter-proposal" because you and I aren't "negotiating" actual numbers in any way shape or form.  Seriously, get the fuck over yourself.  It's not arguing in bad faith at all.  You're just delusional in acting like anyone should care about your "proposals."

He meant 33 and one third!

https://youtu.be/tit89ofCOt4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Which was rescinded in a most dirty treacherous deal, betraying the great African American military allies that allowed us to win the shooting war -- in order for Republican Rutherford Hayes (1876) to get the Electoral Colleges votes from the south and be president. Thus, the systematic and systemic Jim Crow and apartheid began, hardened into overt law by Woodrow Wilson.

Of course a lot of it going on before that, starting with Louisiana's own riot-coup back in 1866 :

https://www.wwno.org/podcast/tripod-new-orleans-at-300/2016-07-14/an-absolute-massacre-the-1866-riot-at-the-mechanics-institute

See also, later, the Battle of Liberty Place like the Hayes election, also 187:.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Liberty_Place

 

I’m well aware of the deal that ended reconstruction and the rebellions that took place in Southern States to end reconstruction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’m well aware of the deal that ended reconstruction and the rebellions that took place in Southern States to end reconstruction.

Never thought otherwise, but our Eurocommie friend might not have been, so let's make sure our friend does know!  :cheers:

And dayem, those rebellions were never punished, like some far closer to our own time.  It just keeps rolling' with the same people and the same outcomes, it seems so much of the time.  Reconstruction, such a time of hope for African Americans, and then -- poof.  The Civil Rights and Voting Rights Acts of the 60's and 70's the same.  And again, here we go, poof. :crying:

Edited by Zorral

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Never thought otherwise, but our Eurocommie friend might not have been, so let's make sure our friend does know!  :cheers:

And dayem, those rebellions were never punished, like some far closer to our own time.  It just keeps rolling' with the same people and the same outcomes, it seems so much of the time.  Reconstruction, such a time of hope for African Americans, and then -- poof.  The Civil Rights and Voting Rights Acts of the 60's and 70's the same.  And again, here we go, poof. :crying:

It’s worse than “not being punished” the leaders of those rebellions were rewarded with high State offices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

It’s worse than “not being punished” the leaders of those rebellions were rewarded with high State offices.

"Oh, Abraham, why did they do ye...?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where did the $5tn spent on Afghanistan and Iraq go? Here’s where
Linda J Bilmes
Private military contractors outnumbered US troops on the ground during most of both conflicts. And defense industry stocks soared

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/sep/11/us-afghanistan-iraq-defense-spending

Quote

 

While Washington bickers about what, if anything, has been achieved after 20 years and nearly $5tn spent on “forever wars”, there is one clear winner: the US defense industry.

In Iraq and Afghanistan, the American military relied to an unprecedented degree on private contractors for support in virtually all areas of war operations. Contractors supplied trucks, planes, fuel, helicopters, ships, drones, weapons and munitions as well as support services from catering and construction to IT and logistics. The number of contractors on the ground outnumbered US troops most years of the conflicts. By the summer of 2020, the US had 22,562 contractor personnel in Afghanistan – roughly twice the number of American troops.

The gravy train for the defense industry was also fueled by the way the wars were budgeted and paid for. Congress used “emergency” and “contingency” funding that circumvented the normal budget process. For the first decade of the conflict, the US used emergency appropriations, which are typically reserved for one-off crises such as floods and hurricanes. Detailed spending oversight was minimal. And because this type of spending is excluded from budget projections and deficit estimates, it enabled everyone to sustain the pretense that the wars would be over shortly.

The result was what former defense secretary Robert Gates termed a “culture of endless money” inside the Pentagon. The defense department made the operational decisions; managed the bidding process for contractors; awarded the contracts (largely using non-competitive bids); and kept at least 10% of the wartime funding in classified accounts.

Not even the financial crisis of 2008 could interrupt the spending spree.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9/11. O. Lord.  Already, with the Afghanistan pull out, the blobmedia has been recycling all the same blahblahblah from back then, just as with Ida it's been recycling all the same blahblahblah since Katrina, which means the periodic resurrection of recognition there is climate change.  By month's end this all will be down the irrelevant-and-forget hole, until the next occasion to resurrect and rewind.  

~~~~~~~~~~

"Man who drove from Colo. to D.C. on Jan. 6 pleads guilty to threatening to shoot Pelosi in head on live TV"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/legal-issues/pelosi-threat-guilty-plea/2021/09/10/e43066ae-1262-11ec-bc8a-8d9a5b534194_story.html

Quote

 

.....At his Southwest Washington hotel near the National Mall on Jan. 7, he texted a relative: “Thinking about heading over to Pelosi . . . speech and putting a bullet in her noggin on Live TV,” followed by a purple devil emoji, Meredith admitted.

Meredith never got near Pelosi, but when the relative alerted Meredith’s mother and she contacted police, they found him at his hotel, and carrying in his trailer a 9mm Glock 19 pistol, a semiautomatic U.S. variant of an Israeli army standard-issue rifle, 2,500 rounds and 10 large-capacity ammunition feeding devices, he admitted....

,,,he described his words as “political hyperbole.”...

So, you know, treat him nice, coz guns that you say are intended to kill people aren't weapons but political hyperbole.  Besides only semi auto not auto, despite large capacity ammo feed devices.  And in the truck.

Edited by Zorral

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Zorral said:

9/11. O. Lord.  Already, with the Afghanistan pull out, the blobmedia has been recycling all the same blahblahblah from back then, just as with Ida it's been recycling all the same blahblahblah since Katrina, which means the periodic resurrection of recognition there is climate change.  By month's end this all will be down the irrelevant-and-forget hole, until the next occasion to resurrect and rewind.  

~~~~~~~~~~

"Man who drove from Colo. to D.C. on Jan. 6 pleads guilty to threatening to shoot Pelosi in head on live TV"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/legal-issues/pelosi-threat-guilty-plea/2021/09/10/e43066ae-1262-11ec-bc8a-8d9a5b534194_story.html

So, you know, treat him nice, coz guns that you say are intended to kill people aren't weapons but political hyperbole.  Besides only semi auto not auto, despite large capacity ammo feed devices.  And in the truck.

I have no sympathy for the people claiming their violent rhetoric is “political hyperbole”.  That’s stretching free speech out of any reasonable proportion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2021 at 12:24 PM, Mindwalker said:

Heather Bresch, Joe Manchin’s Daughter, Played Direct Part in EpiPen Price Inflation Scandal

A new email shows the former Mylan CEO worked with her counterpart at Pfizer to corner the market and keep costs up.

The documents also show Bresch approving a scheme to force customers, captured by the company’s monopoly, to purchase two EpiPens at once, regardless of medical need. The EpiPen is an auto-injectable device that injects epinephrine into the body and can be the difference between life or death for a person suffering a severe allergic reaction. (...)

Among the documents is an email sent on behalf of Bresch, who is the daughter of Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., to her counterpart at Pfizer, then-CEO Ian Read. In the email, sent in January 2011, Bresch confirms a previous discussion with Read in which she says that the two agreed that as part of a deal, Pfizer would disinvest from its EpiPen competitor, Adrenaclick. Eliminating its main competitor would then allow Mylan to continue raising its prices. (...)

Following the deal with Pfizer, Mylan drove the price above $600 within five years. Meanwhile, Gayle Manchin, Bresch’s mother, lobbied states to require schools to stock epinephrine as the head of the National Association of State Boards of Education. Gayle Manchin was recently confirmed to serve as co-chair of the federal Appalachian Regional Commission, a government agency tasked with promoting economic development across the region’s 13 states.

Cutting a deal with Pfizer to divest from its competitor may be brazen enough, but to memorialize the agreement in an email produces a startling window into the ways in which corporate executives are able to manipulate markets.(...)

With the monopoly locked down, Mylan made its next move, a plan to eliminate its single-pack EpiPen in the United States and instead require customers to purchase two pens at once. (...) The two schemes were separate but mutually reinforcing. (...) The company also conducted market research and concluded that since it was a matter of life and death, customers would suck it up and buy two pens if that was the only choice. (...)

Bresch had been named chief operating officer of Mylan in October 2007, a promotion that immediately sparked a scandal when the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported that her claim of having a master’s degree in business administration from West Virginia University was false. Bresch’s father Manchin was the state’s governor at the time, and the school soon corrected the paper, saying that she had indeed obtained the degree. A subsequent investigation concluded that the initial answer had been right: Bresch had been far short of a degree, and university administrators fabricated grades to get her over the line, leading to multiple resignations from the university’s senior leadership. Manchin was elected to the Senate in 2012.

Manchin last week urged Democrats to take a “strategic pause” in consideration of the party’s $3.5 trillion reconciliation package, the centerpiece of the Biden agenda. A key component of the bill would lower drug prices by allowing Medicare to negotiate directly with pharmaceutical companies. That market power would save the government and patients billions over the next decade, but perhaps even more importantly, it would give the government greater insight into how pharmaceutical executives set prices. The change could reveal the type of collusion that keeps those rates high, exposing companies to risk of regulation or prosecution.

https://theintercept.com/2021/09/07/joe-manchin-epipen-price-heather-bresch/

Manchins Dirty Empire:

https://theintercept.com/2021/09/03/joe-manchin-coal-fossil-fuels-pollution/

Biden should threaten to turn the DOJ loose on Manchin’s daughter if Manchin doesn’t change his mind about the reconciliation bill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did a U.S. Drone Strike in Afghanistan Kill the Wrong Person? | Visual Investigations

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...