Sign in to follow this  
Chataya de Fleury

Your most-used words

I never thought I had any true “verbal tics”. However, I do have some oft-used words. Apparently, “Excellent!” (Yes, I grew up in the era of the original “Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure), “Indeed!”, and “Appalling”.

What are your top three words?

"Fantastic!"

Yes, I am that irritatingly enthusiastic person you've heard about.

11 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I never thought I had any true “verbal tics”. However, I do have some oft-used words. Apparently, “Excellent!” (Yes, I grew up in the era of the original “Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure), “Indeed!”, and “Appalling”.

What are your top three words?

Don't know if it's one of my top three words uttered but I also probably say "excellent" way too much.

11 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I cuss a lot. Terrible habit. 

I also say “awesome” way too much. Worse habit.

I very rarely swear so, when I do, the kids really take notice.  But their mother swears like a pirate and they seem to be quite desensitized to it from her:D  I also probably say "awesome" too much.

11 hours ago, Fez said:

Just. Both in writing and speaking, I'll throw a "just" in there all the time. "I just want to..." etc.

Also, like. That part of the '90s never left me.

I do this with "just" and "like" as well.  I find myself removing "just" from work emails far too often before I hit send.  The 80s were my most formative years (but I was still a young adult/college student for most of the 90s) so I still say "cool" too much as well.

41 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

I do this with "just" and "like" as well.  I find myself removing "just" from work emails far too often before I hit send.  The 80s were my most formative years (but I was still a young adult/college student for most of the 90s) so I still say "cool" too much as well.

Same. I also have to comb my work emails for too many actually's. I don't say the word that often, but boy does it come out a lot in typing.

I used to say cool a lot, but have cut back a lot in recent years. I do still sometimes say, often several times in a row, when I can't think of any other response to something that someone said.

I’ve got a good one, but it’s not a word I use. While living in Argentina, everyone said “claro” all the time which was super confusing because it means okay/sure, but it was used in so many contexts where inserting sure/okay made no sense at all, and it was made all the more confusing because both sure and okay in English translate into different words in Spanish.

58 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I’ve got a good one, but it’s not a word I use. While living in Argentina, everyone said “claro” all the time which was super confusing because it means okay/sure, but it was used in so many contexts where inserting sure/okay made no sense at all, and it was made all the more confusing because both sure and okay in English translate into different words in Spanish.

Ok

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I once knew a girl who would say "claro" all the time ("C'est clair").

The fun part is that her name was Clara ("Claire"), so it made for lots of hilarious puns.

“Just” and “sort of” in English. I have also taken up “you know” as a way to stall while I think about making sense in the rest of the sentence. Ghastly habit. 

In my mother language it’s the equivalent of “basically” and “obviously”. It must come off as ridiculously condescending… :(