Your most-used words

Chataya de Fleury

Ever since I went to my first Worldcon in Chicago in 2012 and was exposed to people from this Board, my use of the word “fuck” dramatically increased. People noticed immediately upon my return, and as I have attended Worldcon every year thereafter it’s just gotten worse and worse. Well, I refused to go to San Jose as a Trump protest, and live cons have been cancelled since the pandemic.

By the way, I highly recommend the Murderbot series written by Martha Wells. In particular, the audio version, narrated by Kevin R. Free. I utterly love Murderbot. Murderbot’s free use of the word fuck when under stress is probably part of it, although the biggest part is the fantastic voice of the narrator. Read them in order, starting with All Systems Red. The first four are novellas that follow Murderbot’s character development.

On 9/5/2021 at 1:37 AM, DireWolfSpirit said:

"Crunk" rapper Lil Jon, has literally made millions for repeatedly using three words in his recordings.

YEAH, OKAY, WHAT

1. A hip-hop artist known for his use of only these three words: YEAH, OKAY, and WHAT. In every song cameo, he will use only the above listed words. 

The music video for Turn Down for What (obviously there’s a ‘WHAT’ in the title) is one of my favs. Probably NSFW.

1 hour ago, S John said:

The music video for Turn Down for What (obviously there’s a ‘WHAT’ in the title) is one of my favs. Probably NSFW.

OH GAWD!!!! Lol!!!! I had heard this song but hadn’t seen the video :rofl: Which, I would point out, is problematic in the current world in which we live, but…*gigglesnort*

21 hours ago, S John said:

Oh wow, I hadn't watched that in years. Still hilarious.

And it has Sunita Mani, who played Arthie on GLOW.

I love this topic.  I also hate this topic because the words I use most say a lot about me.  I use "awesome" way too much.  I also use phrases like, "fixin' to" which I know is completely wrong, but it's a southern thing and I can't stop it.  I also say, "no way" constantly like I'm a 10 year old boy in 1977.  I don't have a good understanding of why that's happening, but there you go.  My go-to phrase for when I am speechless and can't be sure what sort of reaction is expected of me is, "Well, isn't that something?!?"  It works in pretty much any scenario.  

All of my pets are "Bubbas."  I have no idea why.  They all have names, but I call them Bubba, Little Bubba, Bay Bay, etc, ad nauseum.  I bet they want to slap me.  

But word-wise, my top offenders are definitely "awesome", "dammit", and "sweetie."

On 9/7/2021 at 9:14 PM, S John said:

The best comment on that video was from Skyzyl Muzak(sp) who opined-

"Imagine 100 years from now someone studying our culture and they find this video."

Archived