Covid-19 #38: As the Worm Turns

Fragile Bird

9 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I wouldn't have been so bad if I was able to sleep at all. Shortly after waking up from surgery, I developed hiccups. They would not go away. And with a split sternum, let me tell you, hiccups are zero fun.

Because I hadn't slept in two days, in a vain attempt to get rid of the hiccups, the doctors gave me ketamine. A lot of ketamine. That was the night the prostitute visited. I was off my tits on morphine, whilst simultaneously trapped down a k-hole, listening to these people screwing all night. 

It was like something out of Dante's freakin' Inferno. 

*shudders*

What a surreal experience, and that you were even conscious while on morphine and special K...are you sure it actually happened?

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

What a surreal experience, and that you were even conscious while on morphine and special K...are you sure it actually happened?

I've used a lot of recreational pharmaceuticals over the years. I mean, A LOT.

(PRO TIP: Kids, if you're having a general anaesthetic, and you've been absolutely fucking caning it for years, whatever you do, do not hide this fact from your anaesthetist.)

Staying awake after ingesting lots of drugs has never been a problem for me. I definitely wasn't hallucinating. I know this because the bloke was actually bragging about it in the morning. 

10 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

My daughter has now lost her sense of taste.  Still no cough or fever.  Puttering around without diffident despite being masked.  

I am glad she was vaccinated even if it ia frustrating to have her suffering a break through infection.

Hope she gets well soon, Scot. Wishing you and the rest of the family well. 

11 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Hope she gets well soon, Scot. Wishing you and the rest of the family well. 

Thank you.  My wife has been away with her mom.  Nana (wife’s mom) is staying at her cousins and Laura is going to stay isolated from the rest of us.

Fun times.

48 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

My daughter has now lost her sense of taste.  Still no cough or fever.  Puttering around without diffident despite being masked.  

I am glad she was vaccinated even if it ia frustrating to have her suffering a break through infection.

Oh hell, what terrible news. Thank goodness she’s vaccinated! I hope she has a quick recovery, the loss of taste is temporary and is the worst symptom she suffers from.

How did she acquire the breakthrough, do you think, Scot?  Was it at school?

In terms of mandating vaccination + proof of same for events of all kinds, and what this means: The Venice Film Festival did so.  Only three positive tests out of the over 14000 involved in the festival.  They had free testing stations set up everywhere.  I think, too, masks were expected in certain situations.

This is the difference between this sort of event, as with Lolapolooza, and o, say, Sturgis, with no vaccination and no masking and no testing just let 'er rip.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I hope she feels better soon and doesn't get any more symptoms.

20 minutes ago, Zorral said:

How did she acquire the breakthrough, do you think, Scot?  Was it at school?

In terms of mandating vaccination + proof of same for events of all kinds, and what this means: The Venice Film Festival did so.  Only three positive tests out of the over 14000 involved in the festival.  They had free testing stations set up everywhere.  I think, too, masks were expected in certain situations.

This is the difference between this sort of event, as with Lolapolooza, and o, say, Sturgis, with no vaccination and no masking and no testing just let 'er rip.

She was away at school.  She also works in a grocery store that doesn’t enforce mask requirements.  So, school or work…

42 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

She was away at school.  She also works in a grocery store that doesn’t enforce mask requirements.  So, school or work…

Ya.  Well, I'm glad it seems to be -- so far -- relatively mild.  

~~~~~~~~~~

In the meantime in a different direction, though it seems no one can barely be arsed to to take notice or report, new cases of covid are now as high as they were in January.

https://bismarcktribune.com/news/local/health/active-virus-cases-top-3-000-in-north-dakota-for-first-time-since-last-year/article_a54603de-d8a1-596b-ae1e-be3c7462a24f.html

Ser Scot, hope your daughter recovers quickly and easily.

I've just returned from making a brief appearance at what is undoubtedly a Covid spreading event.  I was already a bit concerned about the event so had planned on only stopping by, but it was even worse than I envisioned.  It was my cousin's bridal shower, it was indoors in a not large space with poor ventilation.  No one was wearing a mask.  As more people arrived, it got louder and louder and everyone stood together closely basically shouting at one another.  If even one person in that group has unsystematic Covid, I can see the bulk of the people in the room getting it from this event.

My aunt expressed dismay to me that some of the ladies had embraced and hugged her...my aunt is a doctor, was unmasked, and somehow felt unable to say no.  Meanwhile, I stayed near the door and refused anyone who wanted to embrace or hug me - some non relatives were offended by this and I did not care!  My cousins understood and put masks on when talking to me...but then took them off as soon as we were done.  I was double masked in a N95 mask and a cloth mask.  I only went because it was a few blocks from my house and I just wanted to show up and support my cousin since its been such a sucky year with the wedding being endlessly delayed.  I left after 20 minutes.  I am not going to the wedding.

7 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Secondly, because Sturgeon & the SNP are basically authoritarians and this kinda fits. 

That doesn't sound right.

On 9/10/2021 at 4:41 PM, Gorn said:

Denmark took an incremental approach to removing restrictions, which seems to have been the best approach.  Their cases have fallen significantly after their initial Delta surge.  So they seem to be on the right path, as long as they remain flexible.

Spain has now passed 75% fully vaccinated and are close to 80% partially vaccinated (of their total populatation).  Like Denmark, their case rate has also plummeted.  High vaccination rates and moderate changes to restrictions is working.  I hope it continues.  Some countries do seem to have avoided a major surge.  Italy's numbers are declining after only a moderate Delta surge.  Getting the vaccination rate up before Delta hit may have made enough of a difference there.  I'm curious about countries like Poland and Hungary.  Their COVID rates remain really low, despite relatively poor vaccination rates.

A few more studies have been released.

https://scitechdaily.com/covid-19-vaccines-effective-against-delta-variant-how-pfizer-moderna-and-jj-compare/

Moderna was 95 percent effective at preventing hospitalizations among adults ages 18 and older.
Pfizer was 80 percent effective at preventing hospitalizations among adults ages 18 and older.
Johnson & Johnson was 60 percent effective at preventing hospitalizations among adults ages 18 and older.

It looked at 32,000 patients from nine US states during June, July and August 2021.  Another study showing Moderna on top.

This article doesn't talk about the age of patients but it certainly suggests weakness in the Chinese vaccine.  Sputnik seems robust compared to Pfizer and AZ.  If only they could give WHO/EU their workings!

https://www.jpost.com/health-and-wellness/coronavirus/covid-vaccines-pfizer-astrazeneca-sputnik-v-more-effective-than-sinopharm-study-679130

I suppose people wouldn't be surprised at this but the FDA approval didn't cause a surge in new vaccinations.

https://www.businessinsider.com/fda-approval-pfizer-covid-vaccine-no-vaccination-spike-2021-9?r=US&IR=T

A shout out to Astrazeneca, as the only manufacturer to allow their vaccine to be used in trials of other vaccines.  An unexpected complexity.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/vaccine-makers-should-supply-shots-trials-help-spur-sector-cepi-2021-09-07/

"Lack of access to comparator vaccines is already stalling the development of promising vaccine candidates, and the potential impact on COVID-19 vaccine development and supply is huge," Melanie Saville, director of vaccine research and development at CEPI, said in a statement,

And this is paywalled but gives a lot of info on US boosters. Seems complicated!

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/03/us/politics/coronavirus-booster-shots.html

37 minutes ago, lady narcissa said:

Thank you.  We’re doing what we can.

@Padraig

I got the Moderna vaccine.  My kids got Phizer (only one approved for kids.)

I have no symptoms.  I’m going to schedule a COVID rapid test for Thursday.

2 hours ago, lady narcissa said:

I've just returned from making a brief appearance at what is undoubtedly a Covid spreading event.  I was already a bit concerned about the event so had planned on only stopping by, but it was even worse than I envisioned.  It was my cousin's bridal shower, it was indoors in a not large space with poor ventilation.  No one was wearing a mask.  As more people arrived, it got louder and louder and everyone stood together closely basically shouting at one another.  If even one person in that group has unsystematic Covid, I can see the bulk of the people in the room getting it from this event.

My aunt expressed dismay to me that some of the ladies had embraced and hugged her...my aunt is a doctor, was unmasked, and somehow felt unable to say no.  Meanwhile, I stayed near the door and refused anyone who wanted to embrace or hug me - some non relatives were offended by this and I did not care!  My cousins understood and put masks on when talking to me...but then took them off as soon as we were done.  I was double masked in a N95 mask and a cloth mask.  I only went because it was a few blocks from my house and I just wanted to show up and support my cousin since its been such a sucky year with the wedding being endlessly delayed.  I left after 20 minutes.  I am not going to the wedding.

For those feeling some obligation to attend these sorts of events and needing to protect oneself from infection I would suggest finding some kind of eye covering as well. If there is SARS-COV2 floating around at such events then chances are an infectious dose will come in contact with your eye mucosa and that's the only invitation the virus needs.

And now, this:

Australia's Dr Kerry Chant said around 2500 words at Thursday's New South Wales Covid-19 press conference. But it took just three of them for her to go global.

An innocent slip of the tongue from the state's chief health officer has sent some corners of the internet into a spin, led to furious commentary by fringe commentators and pricked up the ears of conspiracy theorists everywhere.

It's also led to articles appearing in newspapers around the world.

Those three short words were: "new world order".

But was it innocent? ;)

British actor turned anti-Covid-19 restrictions campaigner Laurence Fox shared a clip of Dr Chant to his near 400,000 followers on Twitter.

In the US, a former chairwoman of the Nevada Republican Party posted a heavily edited video of Dr Chant repeating the phrase over and over calling it "insanity".

"Is the Australian government trying to rile everyone up or do they just want everyone to know that they no longer care about keeping their ambitions secret?" asked Tarkanian.

In Australia, conservative far-right campaigner Kirralie Smith posted on social media "but yeah, we are the conspiracy [sic] theorists", referring to Dr Chant's comments.

54 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

For those feeling some obligation to attend these sorts of events and needing to protect oneself from infection I would suggest finding some kind of eye covering as well. If there is SARS-COV2 floating around at such events then chances are an infectious dose will come in contact with your eye mucosa and that's the only invitation the virus needs.

And now, this:

But was it innocent? ;)

Uh, what was she supposed to have said instead?

4 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Uh, what was she supposed to have said instead?

She was meant to keep her mouth shut! And not let the plan for world domination slip!!!

But seriously, I think when people have prepared scripts for these kinds of things they've tended to use the more benign "our new reality", or "this new reality".

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Thank you.  We’re doing what we can.

@Padraig

I got the Moderna vaccine.  My kids got Phizer (only one approved for kids.)

I have no symptoms.  I’m going to schedule a COVID rapid test for Thursday.

Well, that there was the problem, they got the cheap dollar store knock off version of the Pfizer vaccine. :D

Sorry, shouldn't make light of the situation.

The quest stands on the edge of a knife, stray but a little and it will fail to the ruin of us all.

NZ reports 33 cases today. Still too many cases (like 3 or 4) cropping up with no immediate link to existing cases.

Speaking of straying A LOT. Never mind the sex romp in Middlemore hospital. It's the selfish arseholes that decide they are exempt because they are special and run off to the South Island for a holiday abusing their border crossing exemption as essential workers. I think the law is going to come down on this couple hard to hopefully deter others who might have similar ideas.

Some reassuring words from one of our, very credible, celebrity scientists, Siouxie Wiles.

33 new cases today. That’s a big number so may make you feel really uneasy. Remember what the Director-General said yesterday: lots of day 12 tests due so are expecting circa 50 cases from those. Good news is 32 of those cases are linked.

Though for me one unlinked case is one too many, but it does put the 33 in context.

And for a bit of levity:

https://thespinoff.co.nz/books/12-09-2021/ashley-bloomfield-fan-art-reaches-new-level-with-erotic-fiction-blooming-desire/

Dr. Ashley Bloomfield fan art reaches new level with romance novella

Sam Brooks talks to the author of Instagram romance novella 'Blooming Desire' about his work, and a fanfiction scholar on why so many of us want to read it.

“No need for a four pm press conference.”

“Yes, Prime Minister.”

She did her best not to quiver with excitement. He smiled his boyish smile at her, his striking blue eyes sparkling behind his glasses. 

She wondered whether he enjoyed calling her Prime Minister as much as she enjoyed hearing it.

I don't think I would be included in the "us" on this front.

Archived