Covid-19 #38: As the Worm Turns

Fragile Bird

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

And to get to the point I wanted to make, I just looked at the weekly trends chart on Worldometer and the new cases in Poland, while very low, are up by 1,000 over the previous 7-day period. I hope for Poland’s sake history is not going to repeat itself.

Its certainly is a concern.  Especially since its vaccination rate isn't great.  Of course, the amount of infections last winter may be helping them now, given increased immunity.

But then, all of Europe had a bad winter last year.  Right now, the trend is improving in Europe (but at a higher level than last year).  Last year, the amount of cases was low but getting worse.  Lets see what vaccination does!

3 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

The shocking number is that 1 in every 500 Americans have died of Covid-19.

I remember a certain someone here saying that there was no way the deaths could reach in the hundreds of thousands in the US.
A certain someone who's also been ranting against masks right here in one of these threads.
I guess if you're wrong, might as well be wrong all the way, uh?

8 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Our COVID response has been shockingly bad, and has improved less than I hoped with Biden taking over. 

I don't think Biden can do much to convince conservatives to get vaccinated (and/or to wear masks). That one's not on him.

20 hours ago, Mudguard said:

Yes, it just takes months to update the mRNA vaccines.  I think it only took about half a year to enter clinical trials the first time, so it should be even quicker now.

Actually, yearly probably isn't necessary, but it just depends on when and what variants pop up.  Influenza vaccine is yearly because frankly the influenza vaccine is a relatively shitty vaccine and also because there are many, many influenza variants in circulation.  Coronavirus could get there in time though.

I see. 

well, I can’t wait to see how this is all going to look from 2030. I just hope we make it there. 

18 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Technically a dead delta virus vaccine could be put out to market in a very short space of time. As an adjunct to people already vaccinated with first gen viruses it may well give a significant immunity boost, specifically for Delta.

There is another left field possibility: inoculation. That is simple infection with the virus. But in this case with the OG virus. Vaccine was proved to be very effective at preventing infection and illness with the OG virus. Therefore it should be safe, in theory, to inoculate healthy, non-elderly, double jabbed people, a couple of months after their second vaccination, and this would give a major boost to immunity which may prevent breakthrough infection by Delta in a large proportion of people.  I don't know what the stats say about infection, illness and death in healthy non-elderly vaccinated people with the OG virus. I believe soon after the second jab the overall stat with the mRNA viruses was 96% effective at preventing infection. But that would be across all ages. For the younger and healthier that may be a much higher effectiveness. Also, given it appears most countries are resigned to everyone being exposed to Delta, it could be argued that it is better to be deliberately hit with the OG virus than to wait until you are hit with Delta, if a very high degree of cross immunity is confirmed. The dose can be managed to be just at the infectious dose rate, and ti doesn't necessarily need to be a jab. It could be orally administered like the polio vaccine. Of course the conspiracy community would go absolutely nuts, moreso than it is now. 

I just… absolutely don’t see that more than 5-10% of the target population would be up for this. But yes I can see how it would make sense. 

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Also paying for it.  Billions in costs for the covid unvaccinated hospital stays in the last couple of months.

They are breaking the health care in every possible way -- and it isn't necessary except THEY choose not to be vaccinated and wear masks. Or distance at all, instead follow masked people around in order to rip off the masks and cough.

Zabs -- your idea of how to continue sounds good -- except the jerkwaddies won't cooperate so it will get worse and worse and worse.  There is no negotiating with jerkwaddies.  They won't.

I know.  I know.  But that's why, in part, why it is worthwhile to live Here rather than Elsewhere.  

57 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

I don't think Biden can do much to convince conservatives to get vaccinated (and/or to wear masks). That one's not on him.

Yeah at this point there isn't really anything he can say to change people's minds. The only tool left in the bag is the stick, and I'm glad to see he's using it. I still believe that sooner than later there will be a de facto vaccine mandate nationwide, and anyone who can't/won't comply needs to simply be left behind.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

The shocking number is that 1 in every 500 Americans have died of Covid-19.

Yes.  I am thinking of how many people I know who have died of it.  I never reckoned them up, but it's a large number.  True, many were elderly, as the musicians in New Orleans and / or had some chronic health issues, but still!  That doesn't include the people I know -- and the generally these are the individuals to whom I was closest -- who died due to delayed medical care from covid.

This has to mean nobody in the US doesn't know someone who died of covid.  Yet, I do know people who don't know anyone personally or from a distance.  I think.  I'm not sure.

1 hour ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

why it is worthwhile to live Here rather than Elsewhere

I just returned from doing some winter clothes shopping (ya, I know, it's in the 80's -- when's a better time to buy thick wool sox and cashmere sweaters, hmmmm? :D ), and in only one place did a person coming in have to be told to "Pull your mask over your nose," and the that -- was the library.  The Uni library's extended in length and raised in height the plexiglass shields in the last week, since re-opening this summer.  I'm so glad for us they have.

9 minutes ago, Zorral said:

This has to mean nobody in the US doesn't know someone who died of covid.  Yet, I do know people who don't know anyone personally or from a distance.  I think.  I'm not sure.

I don't know anyone who has died of it. I barely know anyone who has had it! Probably it's a very inhomogeneous distribution.

My 85 year old (thankfully vaccinated) grandfather tested positive for Covid after having cold like symptoms. So far, and it has been several days now, he has not felt too much worse for wear. I hope that continues, even though vaxxed he’s getting up there in years and even a moderate case would probably not be great.

Meanwhile, on the other side of my family, I have an aunt, uncle, and two cousins all from the same branch of the fam, all unvaccinated, and all have Covid. My mom can’t report any details other than that, at the very least, they are all actually sick because they are being pretty tight lipped. Had to come home early from a vacation and are all home in bed is all I know. I suspect information is not forthcoming due in part to the fact that my uncle is among the relatives that basically made my mom feel like she had made a terrible mistake by getting the vaccine, and a certain amount of crow is going to be served up for dinner if it leaks out that after a bout with covid they may have been the ones in the wrong about the shot. I do sincerely hope they all recover swiftly, but this is not exactly a shocking outcome. Much of that side of the fam has been preaching against this vaccine. I knew something like this was just a matter of time. 

6 minutes ago, Starkess said:

I don't know anyone who has died of it. I barely know anyone who has had it! Probably it's a very inhomogeneous distribution.

Ya, in spots like New Orleans, many people know many, many, many who have died of covid.

Covid's circulating in the community where I work. Not at extremely high levels, but enough to be felt. A teacher I know has it, friends of a co-worker's child have caught it, a student has it... On top of that, at least one non-Covid bug is going around fast. Masses of the students seem to have coughs and colds; staff are off sick. The lack of resistance after more than a year of reduced social contact is going to make the usual winter viruses nastier than usual. 

Hope your relatives recover soon @S John

25 minutes ago, Starkess said:

I suppose in your milieu there is a dearth of idiocy. Be thankful.

16 minutes ago, dog-days said:

The lack of resistance after more than a year of reduced social contact is going to make the usual winter viruses nastier than usual. 

It has already begun. Several co-workers had nasty bouts of cold, coughing and the like - all tested a couple of times, all negatives. One actually had her entire household down with nastily stuffy noses and were stuck at home for 5 days. There's definitely more than covid around right now, all the viruses that couldn't propagate in the last 10 months are back.

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

Also paying for it.

This and Luzifer's points. Both should be widely done across N. America and Europe. Unvaccinated decided to be selfish and not give a damn about the rest of society, they chose their fate, society has a moral imperative to cast them out until the see the light - or stupidly, painlessly and needlessly die from covid.

2 hours ago, Padraig said:

Its certainly is a concern.  Especially since its vaccination rate isn't great.  Of course, the amount of infections last winter may be helping them now, given increased immunity.

Poland, Czechia and Hungary were hit later in the winter wave, and had it far worse than any other European country at the time. Hopefully, this will delay the next wave, and blunt it - until enough people have been vaccinated.

3 hours ago, S John said:

My 85 year old (thankfully vaccinated) grandfather tested positive for Covid after having cold like symptoms. So far, and it has been several days now, he has not felt too much worse for wear. I hope that continues, even though vaxxed he’s getting up there in years and even a moderate case would probably not be great.

Meanwhile, on the other side of my family, I have an aunt, uncle, and two cousins all from the same branch of the fam, all unvaccinated, and all have Covid. My mom can’t report any details other than that, at the very least, they are all actually sick because they are being pretty tight lipped. Had to come home early from a vacation and are all home in bed is all I know. I suspect information is not forthcoming due in part to the fact that my uncle is among the relatives that basically made my mom feel like she had made a terrible mistake by getting the vaccine, and a certain amount of crow is going to be served up for dinner if it leaks out that after a bout with covid they may have been the ones in the wrong about the shot. I do sincerely hope they all recover swiftly, but this is not exactly a shocking outcome. Much of that side of the fam has been preaching against this vaccine. I knew something like this was just a matter of time. 

I just hope the Candace Owens approach doesn't start catching on among the anti-vaxxers. Get sick, but just don't get tested so that you can claim you didn't have COVID.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Illuminating information as to who and why are those 1 in 500 so far:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/interactive/2021/1-in-500-covid-deaths/?itid=hp-top-table-main

That is rather telling as a raw statistic. 0.2% of American's have died of COVID, yet a lot less than 100% of Americans have had the infection. 

I'm watching the Alberta governments September 15 Covid-19 update on youtube. They're not exactly announcing a lockdown but it sounds a hell of a lot like we're going back into lockdown. I'm happy to hear they are stressing the importance of the stuff they should have been stressing for the last 19 months.

Today:

18,421 active cases, 877 hospitalizations, 218 in the ICU. (the Premier said 269 patients in his speech tonight. He might have meant "beds")

6 days ago it was:

15,997 active cases, 679 hospitalizations and 154 in the ICU.

Update: A Provincial health official spoke afterward and confirmed the 269 ICU patients number. The website must not have been updated yet. That's it for ICU beds in this province. I hope no one gets into a car accident. 

13 cases today, down by 1 again. So a slow crawl to zero. 1 Truck driver making deliveries across the lockdown boundary, I understand. They worked according to the rules so no fault on their part, but these things keep us on our toes. Things are looking hopeful for a slightly more relaxed lockdown for Auckland next week, and hopefully all going well just one further week to ending the lockdown entirely.

Archived