Covid-19 #38: As the Worm Turns

Fragile Bird

9 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I have just such a plan to ask this of any endtimers, convinced their hour has came.

I was living in Milwaukee back when Harold Camping and the family radio network followers were preaching about the end of the world. I came out to my car one morning and saw a pamphlet from them under the windshield wiper. "My boarding pass to the afterlife", I thought. I was so happy. I still have it. 

Then the end of the world didn't happen. Sigh.

On 9/16/2021 at 9:36 PM, The Marquis de Leech said:

Down to 11 Auckland cases today.

2 hours ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

24 Auckland cases today. This is turning into one hell of a long tail.

I think I'm beating a dead  horse here, but either the vaccines are effective, or NZ is going to eventually have covid spread through the population at large regardless.  

Best thing for most of us is to lose 10-30 pounds.  (or more, or less, depending)  Either way, while Covid doesnt ignore slimmer folks entirely, it does seem to focus elsewhere.

3 hours ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

24 Auckland cases today. This is turning into one hell of a long tail.

Holy shit I just looked up New Zealand's vaccination rate. Fully vaccinated is at 31.6%. Is it a logistical problem or vaccine hesitancy or...? Australia isn't much better. 

Keep up the lockdown. Don't be like the idiots was have running things out here. 

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/ive-never-seen-a-government-this-incompetent-nenshi-blasts-province-on-covid

1 hour ago, mcbigski said:

I think I'm beating a dead  horse here, but either the vaccines are effective, or NZ is going to eventually have covid spread through the population at large regardless.  

See above.

2 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Holy shit I just looked up New Zealand's vaccination rate. Fully vaccinated is at 31.6%. Is it a logistical problem or vaccine hesitancy or...? Australia isn't much better.

NZ (& Aus) are inoculating around 1.5% of the population per day. Both getting towards 60% on first shots. Set to overtake the US and be on par with much of Europe towards the end of October.

Like much of the rest of Asia we didn't really get much vaccine here until a couple months ago. Here in Australia we only just opened eligibility to below 40s at the start of this month.

A closer look at the new cases... they're moving away from Pasifika towards Maori. That's a mixed sign (suggests it isn't widely circulating in South Auckland, but Maori arguably have fewer social-reach mechanisms than Pacific Islanders). It's also turned up in Mount Eden Prison.

The medical authorities are still confident that we're dealing with the dregs of the outbreak, and most importantly, it's still confined to a handful of Auckland suburbs. Every Wellington case has now recovered.

13 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Keep up the lockdown. Don't be like the idiots was have running things out here. 

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/ive-never-seen-a-government-this-incompetent-nenshi-blasts-province-on-covid

See above.

Most people here are still waiting for their second dose. It's not hesitancy, just that we were at the back of the queue - we don't have any community transmission outside Auckland.

3 hours ago, Impmk2 said:

NZ (& Aus) are inoculating around 1.5% of the population per day. Both getting towards 60% on first shots. Set to overtake the US and be on par with much of Europe towards the end of October.

Like much of the rest of Asia we didn't really get much vaccine here until a couple months ago. Here in Australia we only just opened eligibility to below 40s at the start of this month.

Oof. That sucks. The vaccination trajectory looks really good though.

3 hours ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

Most people here are still waiting for their second dose. It's not hesitancy, just that we were at the back of the queue - we don't have any community transmission outside Auckland.

Yeah, it looks like you guys are in the steep part of the curve. Looking at your public health website, 72% of eligible Kiwis have at least one dose. You only cracked 10% at the beginning of June. 68% of those eligible have either had their second dose or have it booked. Damn impressive, New Zealand. 

And I see that your health minister has said publicly that a 90% vaccination rate is necessary to end level 4 lockdowns forever. Our guy would probably have assholes protesting outside his house if he said that. I'm a little jealous. 

Now that's a headache.

A dude from a small town on the Auckland-Waikato border was on parole. He decided to head into Auckland, got himself infected, and came back home. He was picked up for breaking parole, tested positive... and now they've discovered his family is infected.

Aforementioned small town doesn't have any significant connections with the rest of the Waikato, so it could be worse. I'd suspect it does mean Auckland's Level 4 gets extended, the small-town gets Level 4, and the rest of the Waikato gets a few days at Level 3, to be safe. 

Very sucky. Parole violation aside, how the hell did the guy wind up mixing with people who are infected but not in isolation? Also one of the kids in the family was symptomatic while at school. And YAY! the govt in its infinite wisdumb decided not to make masks mandatory in schools.

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Very sucky. Parole violation aside, how the hell did the guy wind up mixing with people who are infected but not in isolation? Also one of the kids in the family was symptomatic while at school. And YAY! the govt in its infinite wisdumb decided not to make masks mandatory in schools.

At the risk of hypothesising on some... sensitive... matters, the fact that the guy was on parole to start with, and somehow managed to contact the small number of infected people in Auckland, possibly suggests that the remaining cases are disproportionately among gang members. That would answer the question of why the outbreak tail is so stubborn - gang members are less likely to comply with state directives.

13 minutes ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

At the risk of touching on some... sensitive... matters, the fact that the guy was on parole to start with, and somehow managed to contact the small number of infected people in Auckland, possibly suggests that the remaining cases are disproportionately among gang members. That would answer the question of why the outbreak tail is so stubborn - gang members are less likely to comply with state directives.

If it really does start to circulate in the criminal community we're munted. Might as well give up on elimination, if that becomes the case. Or, optimistically, gang leaders will actually lay the smackdown on people who are spreading COVID-19 and they will save us all.

US health insurance and covid.  Long, detailed piece, which it has to be as there is no uniformity as to what health insurance will cover and won't, and how much throughout the US insurance industry. The only uniformity is that hundreds of thousands of citz are going to $EFFED$ for life by both bills and long haul.  Or their families will.  It seems a lot of people don't realize though the insurance companies waived the co-pays, deductibles etc. at the start of the pandemic, all of that has returned since already in January of 2021.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/09/18/covid-hospital-bills-insurance-deductible/

Also the triage / rationing of health care here, including kidney dialysis, due to covid.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/09/17/hospitals-ration-care-covid/

Double post in order to contrast nationl covid despair and the determination to find body joy despite this -- focused, because it has to be -- on the local experience.  

This is our New York City in covid and out of covid.  I particularly appreciate the author's insight in connecting this summer's dancing with last summer's massive, constant BLM walking demonstrations (as well as the dancing during Europe's long 14th century ravishing by Bubonic Plague).

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/15/magazine/dancing-new-york-summer.html

....For Andrew Avilá, the dancer I met at A Party Called Rosie Perez, one form of movement galvanized the other: Initially paralyzed by pandemic despair, he recovered his desire to dance last summer, when he “marched the whole city” to protest police violence. It was a relief “to scream in the street and sweat” with strangers, to tune in to the pulse that precedes any choreography. Around the same time, D.J.s dropped beats below a viral video of a woman named Johnniqua Charles, popping her hip at a security guard who had her in handcuffs and wouldn’t let her back inside the club to collect her purse. She freestyled, half talking and half rapping through the injustice of her predicament, until she locked into a persuasive rhythm, a hook worth repeating: “You about to lose yo job.” In response to the nationwide protests, a few authorities were in fact placed on administrative leave. But the energy embodied by Charles aimed far beyond modest reforms. Her song-and-dance asserted a fundamental claim to freedom of movement: Even if she was not permitted to move from here to there, she would keep moving, ingeniously, right where she was....

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

It seems a lot of people don't realize though the insurance companies waived the co-pays, deductibles etc. at the start of the pandemic, all of that has returned since already in January of 2021.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/09/18/covid-hospital-bills-insurance-deductible/

So this is quite an important fact that should be noted. 

There is no longer any fee waiving for covid treatment in this pandemic. Afaik they are still making the shots and boosters available as a free public health measure.........for now.

One can just imagine the medical and insurance lobbyists that are chomping at the bit to start charging for those measures asap. This despite I'm sure getting generous compensation from the govt already. 

They probably feel entitled to get paid by the govt and then further compensated from insurance and patients if they have their way.

15 hours ago, mcbigski said:

Best thing for most of us is to lose 10-30 pounds.  (or more, or less, depending)  Either way, while Covid doesnt ignore slimmer folks entirely, it does seem to focus elsewhere.

No ivermectin or hydroxychloroquine?? 

I feel like we need to include the FDA's warning in case there are any conservatives reading at home.

"You are not a horse. You are not a cow. Seriously, y'all. Stop it," the tweet reads, before linking to a page about why people shouldn't use the animal deworming medication ivermectin to treat COVID-19.

Small study but good to see some results from the Moderna booster testing.  Interesting that the Beta specific boosters on their own didn't do as well as other options.

In the small study of 79 people, some received a third dose of the same two-dose vaccine they already received, some got a dose of a vaccine developed specifically against the Beta variant, some received a lower dose of this Beta variant vaccine, and a final group received a combination of the original and Beta variant shots. The data confirmed that about six months after people are fully vaccinated with two doses, levels of antibodies that can neutralize the original version of SARS-CoV-2 dropped by about six- to seven-fold. But boosting with an additional dose of any of the four vaccines the researchers tested increased levels of antibodies about a month later. The combination dose was the most effective, increasing antibody levels by 46-fold, compared to a 16.7-fold increase with a third dose of existing vaccine, an 11.3-fold increase with the Beta-specific booster, and a 9.2-fold increase with the lower dose Beta-specific booster.

https://time.com/6098479/moderna-covid-19-booster-shot/

Archived