Sign in to follow this  
Fragile Bird

Covid-19 #38: As the Worm Turns

My job is pretty uniquely positioned to gauge how bad Covid is in the area since it’s such a wide spread of people and we definitely hear if they’ve had it or not and they can’t come in if they do. We had three clients need to reschedule appointments due to covid. My coworker had a table at a horror convention and his helper had to call out because she caught Covid. I was available to fill in because the person I was supposed to be tattooing also had Covid.

These names are ridiculous, at least it brings a little laughter the pandemic.  

Moderna= Spikevax

Pfizer = Comirnaty (lol wtf)

AztraZeneca= Vaxzevria

please tell me this is all a joke.  

*Comirnaty is apparently a mashup of of "covid 19" "mRNA" and "immunity"

this shit is cracking me up

Edited by larrytheimp
this has to be a joke, right?

5 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:These names are ridiculous, at least it brings a little laughter the pandemic.  

Moderna= Spikevax

AztraZeneca= Vaxzevria

Read about the official Pfizer name a while back, it’s not a joke.

I hope the brand-name bullshit backfires and gets dropped after a few years based on common use, like every other vaccine.  Because none of those are anything anyone would say “yes” to, based on the name.

Comirnaty sounds like a drunk trying to sound sober while saying “community” to an authority figure like a cop or their boss.

SpikeVax is sounds like they’re going to impale you during administration (or it’s made from the mRNA of The Road Warriors from WWF).  

“Ask your doctor if Vaxzevria is right for you - may cause anal leakage”

2 hours ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

Down to 11 Auckland cases today.

Lets hope those Tauranga locations of interest don't end up plunging the North Island back into level 3.

Be sure to do your research before you make a decision about getting vaccinated.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZSJoeq9pY/

Edited by The Anti-Targ

3 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

These names are ridiculous, at least it brings a little laughter the pandemic.  

Moderna= Spikevax

AztraZeneca= Vaxzevria

Vaxxy McVaxface

I know that it is an amusing topic but vaccines do need names(maybe except the Moderna one because it is the only one so far).

A number of names from my international vaccine certificate: Stamaril, Nimenrix, M M RVax Pro, Twinrix, Typhim Vi,  dT-reduct "Sero", boostrix (:rofl:), Engerix and quite a few more. :p

Edited by Luzifer's right hand

On 9/16/2021 at 8:41 AM, RhaenysBee said:

Yes, the curve is definitely becoming less and less flat. I suppose I wouldn’t feel half as anxious if we had any preventative measures in action. But we don’t, we just trust in God or the vaccines or nothing and pretend it all doesn’t exist. 

Winter is the big risk factor now.  Countries don't neccessarily seem to have big spikes due to Delta.  Italy saw a moderate increase but it has seen declining numbers for the last 3 weeks.  It also may have benefited from the devastating COVID year that was 2020 in Italy.  Some countries are still seeing increases of course but i'm more hopeful that it wouldn't necessarily lead to disaster.

Still don't know what is going to happen in a few months though!

What TX (and FL, and AK, and and and and ....) and the propagation that no one has to observe any rules about anything -- and gee whiz, trickle down even has Black people thinking that! --  hath wrought for NYers.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/carmines-hostess-attacked-after-asking-group-from-texas-for-vaccination-proof-to-dine-inside/3277565/

The hostess is in the hospital.  That's how bad the attack was.

Update due to other sources, who say the hostess (22 years old) was treated in an ambulance but not hospitalized.  The restaurant has hired a security guard now.  The attack happened when the hostess believed the vax cards she was shown were bogus. Which, considering the sorts who would attack physically over this issue, the cards surely were bogus. Isn't that something how refusal to vax, the purchase of bogus vax cards, and committing violence when not getting one's way all tend to converge in a personality?

Edited by Zorral

17 minutes ago, Zorral said:

What TX (and FL, and AK, and and and and ....) and the propagation that no one has to observe any rules about anything -- and gee whiz, trickle down even has Black people thinking that! --  hath wrought for NYers.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/carmines-hostess-attacked-after-asking-group-from-texas-for-vaccination-proof-to-dine-inside/3277565/

The hostess is in the hospital.  That's how bad the attack was.

Update due to other sources, who say the hostess (22 years old) was treated in an ambulance but not hospitalized.  The restaurant has hired a security guard now.  The attack happened when the hostess believed the vax cards she was shown were bogus. Which, considering the sorts who would attack physically over this issue, the cards surely were bogus. Isn't that something how refusal to vax, the purchase of bogus vax cards, and committing violence when not getting one's way all tend to converge in a personality?

Who the flying fuck punches a 22-year old doing their job? I’d like to see a story about these three damn Texans. I’d like to see jail sentences for that atrocious crime.

Alas, I think they're merely going to be fined.  But then Bolsanaro has publicly proclaimed his refusal to obey either US or NY regs as to vaccination and masking as he arrives to take his triumphant place at the UN General Assembly.  So, then. :crying:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/09/hospital-staff-must-swear-off-tylenol-tums-to-get-religious-vaccine-exemption/

A hospital system in Arkansas is making it a bit more difficult for staff to receive a religious exemption from its COVID-19 vaccine mandate. The hospital is now requiring staff to also swear off extremely common medicines, such as Tylenol, Tums, and even Preparation H, to get the exemption.

Apparently people are claiming that the fetal cell lines used to develop the Covid vaccines violate their religious beliefs, so the hospital is requiring them to attest that they also avoid other medications developed the same way, including Tylenol, Pepto Bismol, aspirin, Tums, Lipitor, Senokot, Motrin, ibuprofen, Maalox, Ex-Lax, Benadryl, Sudafed, albuterol, Preparation H, MMR vaccine, Claritin, Zoloft, Prilosec OTC, and azithromycin.

The intent of the form is twofold, Troup says. First, the hospital wants to ensure that staff members are sincere in their stated beliefs, he said, and second, it wants to "educate staff who might have requested an exemption without understanding the full scope of how fetal cells are used in testing and development in common medicines."

Why the fuck can anyone get a religious exemption from vaccines? What the fuck is wrong with that bloody country? Unless on purely medical ground, no exemption should be considered acceptable in any self-respecting sensible society.

5 hours ago, Zorral said:

Alas, I think they're merely going to be fined.  But then Bolsanaro has publicly proclaimed his refusal to obey either US or NY regs as to vaccination and masking as he arrives to take his triumphant place at the UN General Assembly.  So, then. :crying:

Bolsonaro isn't that young, unvaccinated, and not in perfect health. I say, there's still hope there.

2 minutes ago, Clueless Northman said:

Why the fuck can anyone get a religious exemption from vaccines? What the fuck is wrong with that bloody country? Unless on purely medical ground, no exemption should be considered acceptable in any self-respecting sensible society.

"God made the virus, man made the vaccine. Clearly God wants me to get the former, not the latter."

It's science. 

From Bro --

This week, after the Biden mandate on COVID vaccinations for government workers and contractors, our company is instituting mandatory vaccinations whether on site or not.  If you can’t prove your vaccinated, the penalty is termination due to the government requirements.  If they are working off site, folks have until mid-November to get vaccinated.  I’m sure this will cause a lot of consternation as there are lot of non-vaccination folks at work.  We could find some folks may walk away due to this issue.  Fortunately, all the folks that work for me are already vaccinated.  The next few months could have a lot turmoil.  Of course, all the folks already vaccinated are all for the requirement.  The non-vaccinated, are very much against the requirement.

And here we are folks.  People who are vaccinated are for being vaccinated. Those who aren't, aren't.  It isn't about education, persuasion, facts or anything else now and hasn't been for a long time.  Send the vax refusniks to a Coventry where they won't infect the rest of us, and take up all the oxygen -- literally.

Edited by Zorral

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

"God made the virus, man made the vaccine. Clearly God wants me to get the former, not the latter."

It's science. 

A young woman I work with won't get the vaccine because of the excuse, "If it's my time to die, then that's God's decision".

Even though I'm an atheist, I can't help but think of that joke I first heard on BoJack Horseman.

I can't remember it word for word, so I'll have to paraphrase a bit.

There was a religious man who lived by the river. One day the religious man hears on his radio, "Get to safety! The river is going to flood!" But the religious man thinks, "No need, God will save me"

The next day the river floods and water rises up to the religious man's knees. Someone comes along in a boat and tells the religious man, "Get on my boat! I will take you to safety!" The religious man says, "No need, God will save me"

The next day the river rises more, forcing the religious man onto his roof. A helicopter comes by and the pilot yells, "Get on, I will take you to safety!" The religious man replies, "No need, God will save me"

The next day the river rises further and the religious man drowns.

At heaven's gate the religious man yells at God, "Why did I drown? I thought you would save me!"

God looks at the religious man in shock and replies, "What the fuck are you doing here? I sent a radio warning, a boat, and a helicopter to save you!"

If you believe there is a God that can decide you will die of a virus, shouldn't you also believe that the same God is behind a vaccine for that virus?

Edited by A True Kaniggit

On 9/16/2021 at 5:12 PM, Fury Resurrected said:

My job is pretty uniquely positioned to gauge how bad Covid is in the area since it’s such a wide spread of people and we definitely hear if they’ve had it or not and they can’t come in if they do…

After everything, I am truly shocked that I haven’t yet caught the virus. I would probably know if I had because my close contacts would be sick, even if I were asymptomatic. I’d like to note that my close contacts all take the same risks I do, because we are right along side each other at the restaurants, the boxing matches, the spa, the airports. (Actually, they knowingly take a higher risk, given their risk profiles.)

My close contacts are “65 with uncontrolled high blood pressure and heart issues” (Peebs) and “obese with possible other health risks” (my best friend). Also, my obese and 60+ year old colleagues, separately.

We are all vaccinated, Peebs has had a third Moderna shot on doctor’s orders, so maybe we have all been asymptomatic? That would be statistically unlikely, though.

ETA - I’m NOT trying to downplay the virus; rather, pointing out the capriciousness of it.

Edited by Chataya de Fleury

10 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

After everything, I am truly shocked that I haven’t yet caught the virus. I would probably know if I had because my close contacts would be sick, even if I were asymptomatic. I’d like to note that my close contacts all take the same risks I do, because we are right along side each other at the restaurants, the boxing matches, the spa, the airports. (Actually, they knowingly take a higher risk, given their risk profiles.)

My close contacts are “65 with uncontrolled high blood pressure and heart issues” (Peebs) and “obese with possible other health risks” (my best friend). Also, my obese and 60+ year old colleagues, separately.

We are all vaccinated, Peebs has had a third Moderna shot on doctor’s orders, so maybe we have all been asymptomatic? That would be statistically unlikely, though.

ETA - I’m NOT trying to downplay the virus; rather, pointing out the capriciousness of it.

Confirmed cases are still about what? 40,000,000? Out of over 300,000,000?

It's very possible you haven't had it yet.

Or if you have had the virus, it's also very possible you were asymptomatic, along with all of your close contacts.

Edited by A True Kaniggit

25 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Confirmed cases are still about what? 40,000,000? Out of over 300,000,000?

It's very possible you haven't had it yet.

Or if you have had the virus, it's also very possible you were asymptomatic, along with all of your close contacts.

Given the health status of my close contacts, I would find it wildly unlikely that they would also be asymptomatic. Frankly, at least one of them (Peebs) would be extremely unlikely to do well if he caught it.

I’m just thinking we’ve all avoided it, so far.