Covid-19 #38: As the Worm Turns

Fragile Bird

1 hour ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Nope. The German articles read the same and that is how the more extreme anti-measures people tend to think.

Was the prosecutor saying the victim was responsible, or that in the accused’s eyea the victim was responsible, I think is what we’re wondering.

23 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Was the prosecutor saying the victim was responsible, or that in the accused’s eyea the victim was responsible, I think is what we’re wondering.

In the accused's eye from what I gathered. The prosecutor wanted to highlight the irrational nature of the crime unless I'm mistaken.  

I was a bit confused by the original posting thinking that the person wearing the mask wrong was shot by an overzealous mask enthusiast, which rang very strange. Not the clarified situation makes much more sense.

I am mostly mad at the shooter, of course, but I am a little bit mad at the govt for putting people in situations where they have neither the standing nor means to enforce mask wearing and thus they are potentially put in harm's way. Talking to my train conducter, she said that even though mask wearing on the commuter trains is mandatory, there is no expectation that conductors will enforce it or throw people off the train, they are only expected to inform. On the other hand we have ordinary supermarket staff, without any back up near by who are not trained security personnel standing at the door of supermarkets enforcing the mask mandate for entry, thus they are potentially in harm's way and no one with authority or means to protect will get there before someone gets hurt. Citizens enforcing the law on citizens is not how things are supposed to work, at least not safely with minimised risk of injury.

6 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

They have seized weapons from people that are against covid-19 measures before and there have been other violent events. It was just question of time until someone got murdered I feel. 

It is really sad but unsurprising.

I'm sure the justice system will work but I also feel that police forces are doing not enough to combat these people. No surprise as they tend to be far right and police forces tend to be far right too. Zero tolerance enforced by the police and extra security at stores from day one would have been the way to go imho.

I don't know the numbers of police in the rest of the world. But we would have no capacity at all for the type of work you are talking about. 

We don't even have the capacity to do the work we should already be doing. 

28 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Talking to my train conducter, she said that even though mask wearing on the commuter trains is mandatory, there is no expectation that conductors will enforce it or throw people off the train, they are only expected to inform.

Do we know whether that person was trying to enforce it?

I doubt we know the psychological health of that shooter either.

Tragic events leads to lots of speculation.

1 minute ago, Padraig said:

Do we know whether that person was trying to enforce it?

I doubt we know the psychological health of that shooter either.

Tragic events leads to lots of speculation.

from this line:

The cashier at the gas station was shot dead as a result of a dispute over wearing a mask to protect against coronavirus, according to DPA, citing a statement from the German prosecutor’s office.

It would appear that the cashier was trying to get the person to wear their mask properly. Though perhaps the cashier just made a comment, and it set the person off.

15 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I don't know the numbers of police in the rest of the world. But we would have no capacity at all for the type of work you are talking about. 

They can focus on victimless crimes and act against climate protests and pro migration protests with excessive force.

In Austria more than a thousand police were used to get 30 punks out of a condemned building at one point and I know that a friend who is a policeman and his spent all his times one trains(puplic transport needs enforcement the most I feel) during the migration crisis.

Resources can be focused if it is in the interest of the police but at least in Germany and Austria the focus is clearly far right.

13 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

There's always the army - which wouldn't present any problems at all, I'm sure :rolleyes:

Archived