Sign in to follow this  
Fragile Bird

Covid-19 #38: As the Worm Turns

8 minutes ago, Zorral said:

First though is prisons aren't included in you list, though a couple of them in our own city are so infamous they are being shut down, including the one in my neighborhood where Epstein 'hanged himself.'

Also convents, friaries and other religious communities, fire departments (a shift literally does live together in professional departments across the country), orphanages, hospitals > nursing homes, community homes of various sorts to transition people from one state to one in which they can function in the so -called 'real world.'

These and the ones you mentioned, seem to indicate all 'forced communities" are "public good communities," except the workplace?  (We can and will, doubtless argue over whether prisons and schools are public good institutions.)

Group travel such as cruise ships and buses also?

Prisons are a good (but sad) example.  I agree (sort of) with religious communities (and church communities in general) but think there is a bit more self-selection.  And I agree a bit with cruise ships, and nursing homes, etc.  All are being radically affected by COVID.

My four year old nephew got covid at his preschool in CT, kind of concerned as he spent a few hours last weekend with my grandmother, who is 89 and having a double masectomy next week.  Shes getting tested this evening or tomorrow.  She's fully vaccinated, but she got the shot back in Feb, so not sure how effective it is at this time. Trying not to worry too much till we know more.

Edited by larrytheimp

hang on- do the vaccinated in NYC really need masks in the street?  honestly asking if there's been research that led to such a recommendation.

22 hours ago, Zorral said:

Calling up my journals from March -- here in NYC, as I recalled, we were highly recommended to wear masks if we could already. 

I got curious after reading your earlier post about last March, so I looked at photos on my phone. I took a selfie of myself wearing a mask on the way to the grocery store on March 31, which is most likely the first time I went out of the house wearing a mask. There's another photo from the next day of Xray trying on one of the cloth masks my mom made and sent us.

And I think you mentioned this too, but one of the weirdest things about living here at that time was how quiet things got. There was a stretch where almost the only sound was ambulances.

22 hours ago, kairparavel said:

Re: TP hoarding 

My theory all along is that most adults had no idea how much they might need for a 4 week stay at home order or whatever because many do their business at work or school etc 5 days a week. :dunno:

This checks out. It did come up in conversation at Casa X that we were going through a lot more TP than usual since we were pretty much homebound.

1 hour ago, butterbumps! said:

hang on- do the vaccinated in NYC really need masks in the street?  honestly asking if there's been research that led to such a recommendation.

If you're asking whether there's a mandate for vaccinated folks to wear masks outdoors, the answer is no. I often do out of convenience as much as anything, as I find it simpler to just wear the mask for the 5-10 minute walk to the store or the subway rather than waiting to put it on when I get there.

Here's what the NYC Health page has to say about it: 

Masks are required for everyone in public transit, health care settings, schools and congregate settings, such as nursing homes and homeless shelters.

People who are unvaccinated must wear a mask in all public settings, indoors and outdoors.

People who are vaccinated are urged to wear masks in all public indoor settings, as well as in any setting when they do not know the vaccination status of those around them.

Some meh news and bad news from Alberta.

The 15-19 age cohort has crossed 70% with at least one dose. 12-14 are right behind them.

The bad news is that the $100 bribe doesn't seem to have much of an effect. We crossed 10K doses on the first day of the program (September 3) but September 4-6 have settled back down to more or less the previous rate. It's early days so we'll see what happens once the week is out.

I am again usually wearing  mask on the streets of my neighborhood because I can be stuck for blocks of closely packed unmasked sitting in covid sheds that cover everything, plus all the tables on the sidewalks that aren't covered or partitioned.  This condition begins the moment I walk outside our building -- and then all the other pedestrians going from place to another like myself, and the choke points at the corners.  It's quite miserable. I have respiratory troubles due to being so close to 9/11 Ground Zero. Breakthrough would not be pleasant, even if I don't have to hospitalized.  Me wearing a mask doesn't do any harm to anyone or inconvenience anyone.  And maybe I'm doing myself a favor of added protection.  ya, 1 in 5000 are likely to have a breakthrough.  But you, know? how old? how young? how healthy? etc. etc. etc.  If partner and I have a table Outside where the path is wide enough to be distanced from other diners and pedestrians, we chance it -- maybe once every 10 days of so.

I do remove the mask(s) once I get out of that kind of density of people laughing, yelling, etc.  And when I find a quiet outdoors place to sit, and then talk to friends on the fone from there -- until bikers or sirens or screaming becomes too intrusive -- which doesn't happen every time, but too often.  Sigh.

But as of now one isn't allowed into a museum etc., and many, many stores without a mask.  Still I see people going into TJ's and Morton Williams without, and belligerently swaggering as if demanding the rest of us DO SOMETHING so they have a reason to pull that concealed weapon.

14 minutes ago, Mr. X said:

And I think you mentioned this too, but one of the weirdest things about living here at that time was how quiet things got. There was a stretch where almost the only sound was ambulances.

And then, in April > people standing on balconies and at windows at 7 PM. banging on pots in honor of the frontline workers.

The other thing though, about where we're located, we didn't get anywhere near the relentless, multiple, endless ambulance sirens as our friends uptown and parts of Brooklyn did -- for day and night after day and night.

Edited by Zorral

4 minutes ago, Zorral said:

And then, in April > people standing on balconies and at windows at 7 PM. banging on pots in honor of the frontline workers.

The other thing though, about where we're located, we didn't get anywhere near the relentless, multiple, endless ambulance sirens as our friends uptown and parts of Brooklyn did -- for day and night after day and night.

I had forgotten about the 7pm salute and fast-forwarded mentally to June (?) when there were fireworks all the time.

We live right between two fairly large hospitals in Brooklyn. I don't know that I'd call the ambulances relentless, but they certainly stood out due to the lack of all the other noise we usually get.

Coworker went to Pax West, was vaccinated and wore masks. 93% of attendees were vaccinated. Masks indoors were enforced. 

Got Covid. Dunno how serious it is, but it's enough to knock him off of work since pax ended.

I went to a Grateful Dead concert a couple weeks ago.  Proof of vax required.  My NYS Excelsior pass app needed an update and couldn't get it loaded when I was supposed to show it at the gate.  I had taken a screenshot of it, they let me use that, but they didn't even cross check it with my ID to see that it was mine.  They weren't cross checking anyone's ID with their proof of vac. 

I'm skeptical of the actual veracity of "proof of vax" if someone wants to get around it, but maybe that threat is enough to keep people away.  I had a lawn ticket and was outside the whole time, but I was so sketched out being near so many people I could hardly even enjoy the show.  Didn't take any hallucinogens because I didn't think I could handle it.  

Maybe the threat of having to show vax proof is enough to keep unvaxxed people out, but I later learned they also we're allowing a negative covid test within 48 hrs as good enough to enter. 

Since then I've been completely isolating and masking.  This shit is just gonna keep going for awhile, none of the measures that are mandated are actually anything other than the most they can do without triggering more outrage.

Edited by larrytheimp
spelling

1 hour ago, Mr. X said:

I had forgotten about the 7pm salute and fast-forwarded mentally to June (?) when there were fireworks all the time.

We live right between two fairly large hospitals in Brooklyn. I don't know that I'd call the ambulances relentless, but they certainly stood out due to the lack of all the other noise we usually get.

;Our uptown friends -- they live in the zips that are predominately Black and Latino and immigrants of all nations.

Forgetting the beating on pots and pans at 7 PM -- indeed, how quickly we forget. So quickly. Even what we experienced personally, at least if we -- me -- are among the privileged, who got masks and gloves, were able to WFH, who were able to order online everything from our groceries to new tech to help us Zoom better, improve our work stations, not have to ride the subways.  Our zip is that pretty much.

And now our vaccination rate is way up there, our new infections, positivity tests and hospitalization are below %.  So far.  Our zip is also Destination Travel from zips where vax isn't at that level, from outside the City, from other states and countries -- and many of whom won't / don't mask, and surely many aren't vaccinated.

So we are still trying to be as careful as we can. No parties, no concerts, no movies, just -- No. Very small gatherings outdoors of very old friends who we know are vaccinated too.

Not about the above anymore either, as we've got to be in classrooms once a week.  Vaccination and mask mandatory, but it takes only one.  It's, well, yah, scary.

And this last week, we lost six friends, in New Orleans, here, and Texas, with a single exception, all of them to covid, and in NO, exacerbated by Ida. The one here was from cancer. He's two year younger than I am, but his cancer has been ongoing, with remission, etc. since 2019.  2020 - 2021 put a halt to a lot of appointments and procedures he should have had.

Edited by Zorral

All of this.  I keep a pretty close watch on our numbers, and will be VERY curious what it looks like at the end of September (2 weeks after schools open, albeit masked).  That said, I’m living my life.  Kids are going to school (masked) and will get vaccinated as soon as eligible.  I go into the office sometimes.  I go out to dinner with friends (we eat outside).  I have some auto immune issues, so it’s definitely a risk, but I’m not willing to live my life in solitude anymore.  I am an extrovert, and my mental health was really really dire last March (of 2021).  Two weeks after vaccination, my mental state improved a lot because it was safe(r) to see people, and I did.  This is the new normal, sort of.  After delta will come mu, and after mu, maybe omicron will arise and be an issue.  Who knows.  At some point you get a shot, mask up, and carry on with life.  I’m at that point.

I called the convent in Nairobi (Kenya) where they are taking care of my grand-aunt (she is a nun, 80+ and recovering from a broken femur) and the topic of Covid-19 came up as I talked with the nun in charge of communications. Seems the situation is much more dire than official case numbers suggest especially on the medical supply side of things. :(

She said vaccinated family members are welcome to visit but she does not recommended it at this point even if it is legally possible because of the pandemic situation. They are an island of the vaccinated from what I gathered (they got 1,5 % fully vaccinated in the country).

Edited by Luzifer's right hand

4 hours ago, butterbumps! said:

It depends on the neighborhood. In some places, you really don't need it as you might not encounter anyone during a walk at all and if you do, it's easy to avoid them. Other places are pretty much packed -- yes, it's outdoors, but it's still too many people too close to each other so many people choose to mask. Also, if one is going to the store or work or public transportation, masks are required so it's often easier to just wear it from the beginning to the end of the trip and not fuss with it at the entrance.

Air Canada is running a hilarious ad campaign on Facebook: “The U.S.is calling!”

And readers are posting things like, fly Air Canada to the US, come home with Delta!

Edited by Fragile Bird

6 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

Didn't take any hallucinogens because I didn't think I could handle it.  

We're gonna need you to go back and do it correctly then.

10 hours ago, Mr. X said:

If you're asking whether there's a mandate for vaccinated folks to wear masks outdoors, the answer is no. I often do out of convenience as much as anything, as I find it simpler to just wear the mask for the 5-10 minute walk to the store or the subway rather than waiting to put it on when I get there.

Here's what the NYC Health page has to say about it: 

Yea, a little bit of this, though I had a strong suspicion there wasn't any kind of mandate for street masking for the vaccinated - as of last month City employees don't have to wear a mask with proof of vaccination in the office, so I couldn't imagine there being an outdoor directive to mask simultaneously.  But just because there's no mandate doesn't mean that it's not the better course of action -- most people I see in the office still wear masks despite being allowed not to because I think a lot of us are still squeamish about the ease of transmission in indoor spaces.  So that's a situation where I think keeping the masks on is a good idea backed by research.

Basically, I really, really do not want to have to wear a mask again on the street, the park or my bike commute.  But I also don't want to be an asshole, and if something had come out saying that it was considerably safer for everyone to mask on the sidewalk I would alter my behavior accordingly.

7 hours ago, Altherion said:

It depends on the neighborhood. In some places, you really don't need it as you might not encounter anyone during a walk at all and if you do, it's easy to avoid them. Other places are pretty much packed -- yes, it's outdoors, but it's still too many people too close to each other so many people choose to mask. Also, if one is going to the store or work or public transportation, masks are required so it's often easier to just wear it from the beginning to the end of the trip and not fuss with it at the entrance.

Yea, I was wondering if that was a factor.   I started seconded guessing it because @Zorral had brought up masking in the street several times, but their explanation above looks like that was largely due to very congested conditions.   I guess I haven't really found myself on too many cheek to jowl sidewalks.

I went to the Alanis concert last Tuesday at Merriweather Post Pavillion. All I.M.P. venues required proof of vaccination or negative Covid test within 72 hours and they were checking IDs as well. Even though we were on the lawn it was a sold out show and we masked up the whole time (except for a few minutes of eating). We were even masked up in the car for the drive to and from. Had the show, which was rescheduled from last summer, been indoors I think we would have passed on it.

*we being my friend and I. The thought of MC at an Alanis concert...:lol:

Starting yesterday I'm back in the office (though if you were hired in the pandemic and it's all been WFH are you really back?) 2 days a week. It felt pretty chaotic to be around a dozen+ people in our section of cubicles, most of whom I was meeting for the first time. We have a mask requirement in all our buildings and a vaccination or weekly testing mandate. I don't think it will move to vaccination only but I guess we'll see how this plays out.

I only ride two Metro stops to work but there were significantly more people on the train yesterday than have been during my occasional trips to the office in spring/ early summer. But nothing like pre-pandemic times. Every 2 seat had 1 occupant and a few people standing throughout the car I was in. 

Edited by kairparavel

1 hour ago, kairparavel said:

I went to the Alanis concert last Tuesday at Merriweather Post Pavillion. All I.M.P. venues required proof of vaccination or negative Covid test within 72 hours and they were checking IDs as well. Even though we were on the lawn it was a sold out show and we masked up the whole time (except for a few minutes of eating). We were even masked up in the car for the drive to and from. Had the show, which was rescheduled from last summer, been indoors I think we would have passed on it.

Starting yesterday I'm back in the office (though if you were hired in the pandemic and it's all been WFH are you really back?) 2 days a week. It felt pretty chaotic to be around a dozen+ people in our section of cubicles, most of whom I was meeting for the first time. We have a mask requirement in all our buildings and a vaccination or weekly testing mandate. I don't think it will move to vaccination only but I guess we'll see how this plays out.

I only ride two Metro stops to work but there were significantly more people on the train yesterday than have been during my occasional trips to the office in spring/ early summer. But nothing like pre-pandemic times. Every 2 seat had 1 occupant and a few people standing throughout the car I was in. 

I dropped the girls off at school today (yes, masks required and vaccines required for 12+).  That’s not the point of the story.  We walked up there no problem, but then it started to POUR.  So, I decided “have mask will subway” because I didn’t want to get super duper soaked even with an umbrella.  Subway was crowded.  Maybe not like it was pre pandemic, but every seat taken and lots of standees.  Glad I had my KN95. 

3 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Glad I had my KN95.

Attempting to organize my course tote bag -- I was rather astonished at how many masks, and the variety of them, were in there.  All of them fresh and unused, as I dispose of whatever I've been wearing during the day into the garbage, not back into the bag.