Drunk Thread II: The Drunkening

mcbigski

19 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Lazy Europeans.

:P

You have to earn holidays off. 

If you are too stupid to work at a place that does not give paid holidays, then you do not deserve a paid holiday.

Hear hear! 

Noooo :( everybody deserves paid holidays whatever work they do. Only because some don’t have the opportunity/character/luck to work in a place that gives  paid holidays, doesn’t mean they aren’t hard workers fully deserving that paid holiday. Also, why can a workplace even do that? My European brain cannot conceive the labor law that allows this. 

hmm, isn’t it bad luck to kill spiders? I keep my spiders because they eat my other insect intruders. I only “cut back” the web when it gets too visible. 

Edited by RhaenysBee

26 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

hmm, isn’t it bad luck to kill spiders? I keep my spiders because they eat my other insect intruders. I only “cut back” the web when it gets too visible. 

I usually let spiders live as well, but this one has decided to make it’s web across my back door for two weeks now, making it unusable.

With any luck the events of last night will have convinced it to move on.

We shall see this evening.

I'm not sure how this otherwise perfectly respectable thread turned into weird stomp arachnoid fetish, but I'm here to put an end to that.  

I put in a relatively full body of work tonight.  Couple of beers after golf, then a birthday party, then home and some Basil Hayden.  

I personally have no problems with spiders that are smaller than the last knuckle on my pinkie.

9 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

I personally have no problems with spiders that are smaller than the last knuckle on my pinkie.

Can only speak for myself, but I definitely was not referring to relatively small spiders - which are generally welcome by me to kill off less desirable pests.

3 hours ago, mcbigski said:

I'm not sure how this otherwise perfectly respectable thread turned into weird stomp arachnoid fetish, but I'm here to put an end to that.  

I put in a relatively full body of work tonight.  Couple of beers after golf, then a birthday party, then home and some Basil Hayden.  

The spider in question was quite formidable.

Luckily for humanity I stopped it before it could become an existential threat to the species. 

Edited by A True Kaniggit

7 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Bad, bad, BAD News for Drunkening!  Beer -- less of it, and more expensive.

https://www.npr.org/2022/09/22/1124491808/beer-carbon-dioxide-shortage

If only if there was a surplus of carbon dioxide just waiting to be used somewhere easily accessible...

5 hours ago, Zorral said:

Bad, bad, BAD News for Drunkening!  Beer -- less of it, and more expensive.

https://www.npr.org/2022/09/22/1124491808/beer-carbon-dioxide-shortage

Yeah, I remember reading about this in July because I follow Night Shift (one of the breweries quoted in the article).

Hope it doesn't hit my local brewery. If so, I suppose I'm gonna have to bust out the homebrew kit more regularly. Thanks to the magic of bottle conditioning, I am not reliant on external CO2 supplies.

Well, I have a golf tournament tomorrow morning and I tend to play best with a moderate hangover.  I think it keeps me from giving too much of a shit and from over swinging.  So after getting back from a friend's pre-wedding celebration, I'm having 3 fingers or so of Basil Hayden.  Alas, autumn has arrived in New England.  Tomorrow won't be awful, but I probably will wear pants on the course for the first time since early April.  I also put up my worst round in about 2 months this afternoon, so I should be blazing tomorrow.

A question regarding Scotland's whiskey which I guess is what the alcoholic beverage we all fondly knows as Scotch evolved from.  For reasons I was going through the Samuel Johnson's and James Boswell's books from their journey together in Scotland. This takes place about 40 years after Culloden.  Johnson tastes for the first -- and last time -- the national drink about which Boswell and others have spoken so much.  He calls it whiskey. There's a conversation around this experience that tells us 'whiskey'  is something the English didn't drink and was unknown in London.

So when did Scotch become Scotch, and when the English turn to whiskey as what gentlemen were always drinking it seems in the 19th C and thereafter?  Is this an effect of Victorian and Albert loving the Scottish estate Balmoral, and after Albert's death Queen Victoria immuring herself there, for long periods, so those who wished to discuss anything with her had to go to Scotland?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2022 at 8:34 PM, LongRider said:

@A True Kaniggit well, has the spider moved on, or does the battle still rage?

Oh. After my failed assassination attempt the spider never came back.

I suppose it was smart enough to know I would not possibly miss twice. 

(Sorry, I’ve been out of town. 
Had to go North into the mountains to worship a buckwheat.)

4 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Oh. After my failed assassination attempt the spider never came back.

I suppose it was smart enough to know I would not possibly miss twice. 

(Sorry, I’ve been out of town. 
Had to go North into the mountains to worship a buckwheat.)

Hopefully the spider told all its friends and neighbors to stay away from the Penguin!   

• 2 weeks later...