Cricket 42: The answer to life, the universe, and the inevitable English batting collapse

Xray the Enforcer

On 11/16/2021 at 10:32 PM, Paxter said:

Not to excuse Yorkshire at all, but I’m sure there are similar stories of discrimination, bullying and harassment in professional leagues across the UK, Australia, India, South Africa etc. You only need to look at the abuse Shami has copped from “fans” in the last couple of weeks. Then you have the Ollie Robinson tweets, the De Kock incident and the list goes on.

Cricket has a systemic problem with racism and it’s time to deal with it.

I totally agree. There is specifically a lot of anti black sentiment and racism amongst my own community of South Asians, and as you rightly say lots of Islamophobic stuff from Indian fans in particular.

With regards to England and the UK in general, I think it's important to see the context in which these things are coming out - the context being a push from the current government to commission reports gaslighting people of colour in this country by coming out with reports like the Sewell Race Report published a few months ago that concluded that there is 'no evidence of institutional racism in the UK', which is an absurd position to take and pure gaslighting of the lived experience of people in this country.

1 minute ago, Paxter said:

Tim Paine is done over some historical sexts. Just another day in cricket.

Will be interesting to see if Cummins gets the nod as captain. He seemed to be the next in line.

Was about to post this. The Australian men's test squad can't let others hog the cricket scandals!

5 minutes ago, Impmk2 said:

Was about to post this. The Australian men's test squad can't let others hog the cricket scandals!

That’s elite honesty for you. Be part of a workplace sexting scandal and then sweep it under the carpet for four years.

Obvious captaincy choices are Cummins or going back to Steve Smith.

Given that Paine's captaincy has ended in scandal, I doubt they'd go back to Smith (replacing one scandal with another).

So Cummins it seems like it will be. Australia haven't had a bowling captain for a very long time (I don't even know who the last one would have been - Warne as a stand-in a few times, I guess). 

1 hour ago, Jeor said:

So Cummins it seems like it will be. Australia haven't had a bowling captain for a very long time (I don't even know who the last one would have been - Warne as a stand-in a few times, I guess). 

Warne stood in during ODIs, but did he ever captain a test match?

Watson definitely did but he was an all rounder, though some might put Cummins in that category. Really you have to go back to Richie for a genuine bowling all rounder.

Also, I have to agree with Kim Hughes that CA erred by retaining Paine as captain knowing that this powder keg could explode at any time. Regardless of his exoneration, this news was always going to be scandalous when it came out, which had the potential to jeopardize any tour. It should have been dealt with transparently at the time.

After the Alex Hales blackface incident, and Rafiq himself having to deal with some old antisemitic tweets of his, the Paine controversy seems almost quaint. Not to excuse his conduct, but the Guardian wasnt very clear about what happened except to say they were explicit texts sent to a colleague. Were they considered harassment or was it part of an exchange regarded as consensual?

2 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

After the Alex Hales blackface incident, and Rafiq himself having to deal with some old antisemitic tweets of his, the Paine controversy seems almost quaint. Not to excuse his conduct, but the Guardian wasnt very clear about what happened except to say they were explicit texts sent to a colleague. Were they considered harassment or was it part of an exchange regarded as consensual?

There is some weird stuff going on with the Paine incident. On the one hand, he was cleared of all wrongdoing and it was deemed a consensual interaction. On the other hand the conduct is seen by Cricket Australia as unbecoming of a test captain and “does not condone this type of language or behaviours”. Which is it? And why did the whole thing turn on secrecy/public knowledge rather than the substance of the conduct?

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised about CA’s hypocrisy at this point. But something about this particular shitstorm stinks even more than usual.

2 hours ago, Paxter said:

There is some weird stuff going on with the Paine incident. On the one hand, he was cleared of all wrongdoing and it was deemed a consensual interaction. On the other hand the conduct is seen by Cricket Australia as unbecoming of a test captain and “does not condone this type of language or behaviours”. Which is it? And why did the whole thing turn on secrecy/public knowledge rather than the substance of the conduct?

As there was reportedly at least one image sent I'm assuming there's a dick pic out there. That probably wouldn't look great (in more ways than one) if / when it came out.

But yes. You do have to wonder how consensual this all was, but without the other party's side it's all a bit speculative.

ETA: If it was indeed consensual I feel a bit sorry for him. Isn't great for anyone concerned when personal laundry is aired in public like this.

11 minutes ago, Impmk2 said:

ETA: If it was indeed consensual I feel a bit sorry for him. Isn't great for anyone concerned when personal laundry is aired in public like this.

There was a work investigation though, so I’m not sure this qualifies as entirely personal. If it had just been cheating or sexting outside of a work context than I’d be more likely to share your view.

What are the odds of a Smith reappointment at this point? Conventional wisdom says no chance but I wonder whether they’ll be tempted…

55 minutes ago, Paxter said:

There was a work investigation though, so I’m not sure this qualifies as entirely personal. If it had just been cheating or sexting outside of a work context than I’d be more likely to share your view.

I think we're more or less on the same page, but I don't think we've got enough info at this point. If it wasn't someone who he had power over, and it wasn't sexual harrassment then personally I'm in the it's not really anyone else's business camp.

However that yes that there was an investigation, that it is Cricket Australia who likes a good old fashioned boys club cover up, and that he resigned so quickly does indictate that there might be more there than just personal embarrassment. But we'll have to wait to see what comes out.

Edit: Hmm yeah I missed the Cricket Tasmania statement last night and didn't see it on the news this morning. Complaint by a sacked former employee. Indeed it doesn't sound great.

Archived