Cricket 42: The answer to life, the universe, and the inevitable English batting collapse

Xray the Enforcer

On 12/1/2021 at 5:21 AM, ithanos said:

The drawn first test between India and NZ turned out a fantastic match, with highs and lows all round. Who'd have thought that India would have difficulty getting out the NZ Indians to win the match. Last wicket stand between Ajaz Patel and Rachin Ravindra, holding out 52 deliveries. For 22yr old debutant Ravindra, born in Wellington and named after Rahul Dravid and Sachin Tendulkar (Ra/chin) it was, as he put it "the stuff of dreams". You couldn't make this stuff up ...unless you were Rachin's parents.

What I love most about any test played in Sri Lanka is SLC's highlights package available on their Youtube channel. Most other nations barely tease 5min hightlights for a Test match day which is equivalent to a teaser trailer and is essentially a thumbnail, but the SLC typically provide a well curated 20mins of action and commentary per day, amounting to up to an hour 1/2 hrs for a five day test. Generous stuff SLC, well done.

The other funny part about that match was watching Patel and Ravindra bowl to…Ravindra and Patel.

A memorable match! Big guns back for India in the decider though…

2 hours ago, Raja said:

I thought he died or something when I first read this lol

Haha.

Worse! Being omitted for the Ashes!

ETA: Kudos to Patel for his six-for (so far). I have a feeling India will win this match but NZ staying in the contest again.

40 minutes ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Wow, all 10 by Patel. That is incredible. Shaping up to be a good test so far.

Yes, just wow! Only the third time in all Test history following Laker and Kumble. Realistically only spinners have a shot at doing it (because of the long spells) but even so, it's quite the freak achievement. He did bowl very well.

I'm back in business! I stopped my Foxtel subscription while moving house and my newborn put a spanner in the works. But now he's 3 months and I have set up a Kayo Sports subscription...watching the 2nd test as we speak.

NZ up against it for now. They're a very good team but without Williamson and Boult, they've lost their two world-class matchwinners.

On 12/4/2021 at 8:12 AM, Jeor said:

Yes, just wow! Only the third time in all Test history following Laker and Kumble. Realistically only spinners have a shot at doing it (because of the long spells) but even so, it's quite the freak achievement. He did bowl very well.

It's definitely something that's going to go down in the history books. Spinners definitely have an advantage, although Devon Malcolm was only one wicket away from being in the 10 wicket club.

On 12/4/2021 at 7:57 PM, ljkeane said:

So this isn’t going well for the Black Caps.

You’ve really jinxed them Jeor.

I like the Kiwis. Stands to reason that the first time I can actually watch them in a match ball-by-ball it turns out to be a horrendous showing. My powers are strong!

Alex Carey is the Australian wicketkeeper for the Ashes. He'll be an upgrade over Paine in the batting department. Khawaja doesn't get a go, which is tough on him, I think.

My (unsolicited!) player predictions for the series:

England

1. Hameed - 2/10. I think he'll struggle with the faster wickets.
  2. Burns - 6/10. Solid batter and should score runs if he can get past the first 30 mins of his innings.
  3. Malan - 5/10. Has experience in Australia and plays well in these conditions. But short of recent test form. 
  4. Root - 7/10. Amazing player in career form. May get found out a few times against the skill of Cummins and Haze.
  5. Stoke - 6/10. Will undoubtedly play at least one amazing innings, but I don't think he'll start the series strongly.
  6. Pope - 8/10. I think this could be his career-defining series. I will be irate if Bairstow gets to play ahead of him. 
  7. Buttler - 5/10. Really depends how the top order plays. If he is coming in at 250/5, he'll be fine. Not so well at 100/5.
  8. Woakes - 6/10. Great player but unsuited to the conditions. 
  9. Robinson - 7/10. Might get found out on the flatter wickets but should do well in the first two tests. 
  10. Broad/Anderson - 7/10. Highly economical but unlikely to get truckloads of wickets.
  11. Leach - 5/10. I think he will take a lot of workload pressure off the quicks and I would select him. But I don't think he will get many top-order wickets.

England team score: 5.8/10

Australia

1. Warner - 6/10. Will probably score a hundred somewhere in the series but I think will also pick up some low scores.
  2. Harris - 5/10. Had a great County stint and will be keen to seal this spot. But tends to throw away his wicket.
  3. Labuschagne - 8/10. Scored plenty of runs in the last Ashes. Is very consistent at this level.
  4. Smith - 8/10. Won't repeat his form from the last Ashes but is good for at least one hundred.
  5. Head - 5/10. I think this could be the prediction I am most wrong about. He is due a breakout season but I just hate the laziness outside off stump. 
  6. Green - 7/10. Will make his first test century in this series. 
  7. Carey - 5/10. Not in the best form with the bat, but should do enough to nullify Buttler. 
  8. Cummins - 8/10. A little less than his best but still better than all the English quicks. 
  9. Starc - 5/10. Meh. Will probably get a 5-for at Adelaide under lights and that's it. 
  10. Hazlewood - 9/10. Will dominate.
  11. Lyon - 6/10. Another tricky one. I think he will get more top-order wickets than Leach but England might be able to block him out. 

Australia team score: 7.2/10

Overall prediction: 3-0 Australia. Draw at Brisbane and the 'G, Australia to win the remaining tests. If Hobart gets the last test it might be 2-1. 

Getting excited for this now, after all the kerfuffles, distractions and scandals for both teams over the past few months/years - not to mention the possibility that this series might not happen at all.

Definitely Advantage Australia: formidable bowling line-up, playing at home, no Barmy Army.

But there is a quiet determination emanating from England, so maybe ...?

10 hours ago, Paxter said:

Anderson out of the first test. Not great but not a fatal blow I don’t think.

In the end he was omitted. Saving him for Adelaide. I think it’s a fair enough decision (and Ed Smith is smiling smugly somewhere as Silverwood emulates his old selection policy).

The usual dilemma for watching cricket in Australia is do you stay up late or get up early but since I'm having to get up stupidly early for work at the moment anyway there's no question on that front this time. 4 o'clock start it is! Hopefully England haven't already lost the test by the time I get up.

I don't have BT Sport and I'm not feeling like subscribing to yet another streaming service for live coverage I mostly won't be able to watch due to the timing. I also thought they did a poor job of the coverage for the last Ashes in Australia when I did subscribe. Apparently BBC iPlayer are going to have a highlights show the next day from 5pm.

Archived