Cricket 42: The answer to life, the universe, and the inevitable English batting collapse

Xray the Enforcer

What a start - 3/20 from 11 overs not looking good for England. Brave decision to bat first in overcast conditions and a green-looking pitch but it may yet turn out to be the correct decision as time goes on. Can never really assess the toss until both sides have batted.

They've left out Anderson and Broad, so it will be interesting to see how the English attack goes - I'm sure they would've enjoyed bowling on this first up. 

18 minutes ago, Jeor said:

What a start - 3/20 from 11 overs not looking good for England. Brave decision to bat first in overcast conditions and a green-looking pitch but it may yet turn out to be the correct decision as time goes on. Can never really assess the toss until both sides have batted.

They've left out Anderson and Broad, so it will be interesting to see how the English attack goes - I'm sure they would've enjoyed bowling on this first up. 

In a parallel universe Root chose to bowl, with Anderson and Broad leading the attack to glory. 

Instead we have this shambles. 

11 minutes ago, Paxter said:

In a parallel universe Root chose to bowl, with Anderson and Broad leading the attack to glory. 

Instead we have this shambles. 

Yes, if they were saving Anderson for later in the series I don't see which of the Australian pitches would have suited him more than this one, especially in these conditions. 

Dream first day on the job for Cummins. Get a perfect day for bowling, take a five-for, bowl them out for sub-150, and then rain saves your guys from having to bat themselves. Probably not all days on the job are going to be as perfect as that! Will be interesting to see howEngland bowl on it. 

I don't think this is that bad a pitch and didn't really mind England choosing to bat first on it. Just some great bowling and predictably scratchy batting after a month without competitive cricket. As a point of contrast, Strauss' winning Ashes team played a truckload of warm-up matches on that tour. 

I'd expect Australia to be able to get to around 300 in the first innings but will happily be proved wrong!

It's easy to second-guess Root (and Hussain sending them in at the Gabba in 2001 for Australia to get 2/364 on the first day probably still gives England nightmares) and it was obviously a hard decision to make. But the pitch looked green and the overcast weather held for the whole day (with some rain at the end). It was going to be a good day for bowling and those tend to be few and far between on Australian grounds.

The green-ness will disappear and when the sun comes out, like most Australian pitches, it will be good to bat on. I agree, Australia should make at least 250-300 (in the olden days you would've banked on Australia getting 400+ in the first innings at home every time, but this team is not as good). But everything in hindsight, I guess.

1 hour ago, Jeor said:

It was going to be a good day for bowling and those tend to be few and far between on Australian grounds.

I still don't think it was outright poor decision, as some commentators are suggesting. It's not like it swung around corners yesterday. 

Another failure for Harris, who is averaging 8 in four Ashes matches and 22 across his career. Usman might yet get his chance!

These two days are really showing the gulf between the two sides.

Not only is Australia's pace attack a lot more dangerous (in pretty much any conditions), but with Warner, Marnus and Smith in the line-up, Australia has a far better top order. I think in the middle/lower order Australia's advantage dissipates, but you have to get them three down first!

Poor old Leach is now the most expensive bowler after just three overs...

ETA: And oh dear...is Stokes in trouble injury wise? This could be one of those 400/1 days after all @Jeor!

2 hours ago, Paxter said:

ETA: And oh dear...is Stokes in trouble injury wise? This could be one of those 400/1 days after all @Jeor!

Only my man Marnus gave away his wicket to Leach with a loose cut shot. 2/185 now but with Warner and Smith at the crease, England still can't be feeling too good. That straightforward dropped slips catch off Warner on 48 is going to hurt them even more as he marches towards a century (maybe I'll jinx him!).

It seems that despite his form trouble etc, when he's back on Australian soil Warner appears invincible. Bowled off a no-ball, dropped in the slips, it's a bit of an old-time feel to this England team. They're better than that but they'll have to pick themselves up from this.

38 minutes ago, Jeor said:

Only my man Marnus gave away his wicket to Leach with a loose cut shot. 2/185 now but with Warner and Smith at the crease, England still can't be feeling too good. That straightforward dropped slips catch off Warner on 48 is going to hurt them even more as he marches towards a century (maybe I'll jinx him!).

It seems that despite his form trouble etc, when he's back on Australian soil Warner appears invincible. Bowled off a no-ball, dropped in the slips, it's a bit of an old-time feel to this England team. They're better than that but they'll have to pick themselves up from this.

Are they better than this?

This England team did just lose to NZ at home (first time in 20 years) and India at home (first time in 35 years).*

*ETA: OK technically we don’t know the result of that series yet…

Archived