Cricket 42: The answer to life, the universe, and the inevitable English batting collapse

Xray the Enforcer

6 hours ago, Raja said:

Feels bad missing the SA and India series, sounds like an excellent test match

I managed to catch most of Day 4 last night. India were a bit wasteful in their second innings - they probably could have done more to bat South Africa out of the match but gave away a few wickets, e.g. Pant with his half-hearted pull shot. As it is, it looks like they have enough runs with South Africa 4 down (albeit one nightwatchman) and still over 200 runs to go. Will be a good day's play though. Typically stubborn knock from Elgar to hold the team together, Bavuma and de Kock are going to have to help him if they're going to get close.

I see Ross Taylor also announced his retirement. A real stalwart of the New Zealand batting lineup, and its main man before Williamson came to the fore, he forged a good career.

19 hours ago, Paxter said:

The Black Caps are in deep shit at the moment. This could be Bangladesh’s best (and most unlikely) test win?

It does seem a great victory for them. I haven't seen any of it but beating the current New Zealand side (even with Williamson missing) is always a big achievement.

21 hours ago, Paxter said:

The Black Caps are in deep shit at the moment. This could be Bangladesh’s best (and most unlikely) test win?

Definitely. I was surprised at their composure to grind out a first innings lead, it's usually where they fail. Very impressed. Not sure how much of a 'B' team that was from NZ, a few new names i don't recognize.

12 hours ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Definitely. I was surprised at their composure to grind out a first innings lead, it's usually where they fail. Very impressed. Not sure how much of a 'B' team that was from NZ, a few new names i don't recognize.

It looks like there's only three changes compared to the side that won the World Test Championship final against India. Admittedly, one of them is Williamson even if he isn't quite as crucial to New Zealand's batting as Joe Root is to England.

Great win by Bangladesh, I'm sorry to say I missed the end of it. The NZ side really was basically full strength minus Williamson, so a really big achievement.

And Usman Khawaja has brought up his century. Australia have really struck gold with all their bench player call-ups. Jhye Richardson got a five-for, Scott Boland got his six-for, Khawaja now has a century.

I hoped Khawaja would do well. As a Test batsman with a 40+ average and 8 centuries in 40-odd matches, it seems weird to have had him out of the Test team for so long. For a while he was the only player other than Smith/Warner who could score hundreds and I think he still has something to offer as a senior player, even though he's 35. Will be interesting to see how the selectors manage this situation with Head due back - Khawaja did used to bat at 3 and has been a makeshift opener, so I wonder if they'll retain him and drop Harris instead if Harris doesn't make a score.

England have bowled well - Broad and Wood in particular - but though they have taken wickets in couples, they haven't managed to break open the lineup. Green still struggling with the bat, too - England have really got the wood on him, his bowling (and the solid performances of the other batsmen) is all that's keeping him in the side.

Great win for SA. That series has really come alive and is kicking ass compared to the Ashes.

@Jeor: The Khawaja thing is a tad ridiculous. One day I want to do a deeper dive on the data, but I never thought his omission was justified and he should have had more opportunities to redeem himself since then (how many chances have Head and Harris had?) I guess his age has been a major factor against him but I really question how he has been handled.

11 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Our batting didn't collapse!

They were just waiting for the morning session...Boland with ridiculous figures of 2 wickets for no runs again. And he's not bowling unplayable stuff - just putting it on a decent line and length and England keep on getting out when he bowls.

Apparently the morning session ended with a period of 53 straight dot balls and 3 wickets.

I appear to have reverse-jinxed the English batsmen. Stokes and Bairstow putting together a big hundred partnership with both getting fifties. Likely still a draw written all over this (some more rain interruptions forecast) though.

Archived