Cricket 42: The answer to life, the universe, and the inevitable English batting collapse

Xray the Enforcer

I actually watched the extended highlights today. It may well be too little to late to even save this test match without some assistance from the weather but good to see England finally offering some resistance with the bat in the form of Bairstow and Stokes. Very good effort from both of them considering conditions looked reasonably tough and both of them had to battle through what looked and fair amount of pain.

I do think Bairstow's going to struggle to start again though after a night for his thumb to swell up so I'm not sure how many more runs England are going to be able to add.

Yeah this is a tough pitch to bat on. It’s one of those wickets where a ball is going to have your name on it - have to stay positive and score quickly. 

I’d expect Australia to win if they can maintain about a 100 run lead. The weather hasn’t been as bad as forecast so far.

3 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I actually watched the extended highlights today. It may well be too little to late to even save this test match without some assistance from the weather but good to see England finally offering some resistance with the bat in the form of Bairstow and Stokes. Very good effort from both of them considering conditions looked reasonably tough and both of them had to battle through what looked and fair amount of pain.

It was a fighting performance, it's a pity the top order couldn't give them any kind of platform to build on.

Stokes did have a massive bit of luck with the ball that hit off-stump significantly but somehow didn't dislodge the bail.

4 hours ago, Paxter said:

Yeah this is a tough pitch to bat on. It’s one of those wickets where a ball is going to have your name on it - have to stay positive and score quickly. 

England definitely seem to be of that view. Leach and now Broad are swinging for the fences and Bairstow isn’t making any effort to protect the tailenders.

Australia will want quick runs so they've still got enough time to bowl at England even with some rain. A lead of 300 should do it? Be interesting to see how aggressive they are. Weather radar looks pretty clear at the moment!

Yeah not an aggressive declaration at all then. Just waiting for Khawaja to get his century then England get to try to salvage the match. Glad for Khawaja and Green though. Both needed the runs. Be interesting to see who we select for Hobart.

Australia still batting on - it's 4:30pm local time here and there is still a lot of sun. The forecast giant storm might not come until the end of the day's play if it comes at all - it's looking very bright out here.

Great innings by Bairstow and England show some fight in their batting. 

So pleased for Khawaja and Green who have put together a quick, aggressive partnership to pile on the lead. Now leading by 360+ Australia have more than enough runs. I've not been a fan of Green but his bowling has kept him in the side and now we're seeing that he's quite the strokeplayer when his batting gets going.

As for Khawaja - what a triumphant return to the team after being left out in the cold for dodgy reasons. He's really taken his chance with both hands.

1 minute ago, Impmk2 said:

Yeah not an aggressive declaration at all then. Just waiting for Khawaja to get his century then England get to try to salvage the match. Glad for Khawaja and Green though. Both needed the runs. Be interesting to see who we select for Hobart.

Well from where I live in Sydney, I can't see any sign of rain nearby at all. I'd be surprised if there was any interruption to play for the rest of today.

The forecast for tomorrow isn't great, but the heavy rain is meant to come tonight and early in the morning so they may not lose that much time then either.

Good effort from Crawley today and very good yorker from Green to bring it to an end. I think that innings has earned Crawley a run at the top of the order for England. When it's going well you can see why the England hierarchy like him but he does need to find a way to more consistently score significant runs.

Hameed's probably played his way out of the team though. He's just dug himself into more an more of a hole as the series has gone on.

Archived