Cricket 42: The answer to life, the universe, and the inevitable English batting collapse

Xray the Enforcer

Not great, is it?

At least one Yorkshire player admitted to regularly using the term 'P**i' when talking to Azeem Rafiq, according to the report into racism at the club. But he was cleared of wrongdoing on the basis that it was perceived as, what the report says was, friendly, good-natured "banter" between the two players.

The player also admitted to telling other people "don't talk to him [Rafiq], he's a P**i", asking "is that your uncle?" when they saw bearded Asian men and saying "does your dad own those?" in reference to corner shops.

Despite admitting recalling that Rafiq broke down in tears at one point, the player insisted he had no idea he was causing offence and would have stopped if Rafiq had asked.

The individual concerned, who ESPNcricinfo have chosen not to name, is a current senior player at the club.

WOW. The article is so much worse than even that excerpt: 

While the investigating team (the lawyers who were charged with gathering evidence for the report) found such comments to be "capable of creating an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment…" and accepted Rafiq's "evidence that he was offended, degraded or humiliated and that this amounted to harassment under the Equality Act and the Club's Equal Opportunities policy", the panel (who were charged with making conclusions and recommendations and which included a non-executive member of the Yorkshire board) disagreed.

Their conclusions state "The Panel does not accept that Azeem was offended by [the other player's] comments, either at the time they were made or subsequently."

So this panel heard Rafiq tell them that he was offended by the racist abuse, and they just decided "nah, you weren't." And ESPN chooses to perpetuate the racism by not naming the racist piece of shit, either. 

2 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

So this panel heard Rafiq tell them that he was offended by the racist abuse, and they just decided "nah, you weren't." And ESPN chooses to perpetuate the racism by not naming the racist piece of shit, either. 

The more I read of the article the worse it seemed to get. Trying to say the abuse Rafiq received was comparable to referring to another player as being from Zimbabwe was particularly ridiculous. 

My mischievous side wonders whether England won’t try very hard in their last group game to ensure that Australia is knocked out.

Overall, this group phase has been fairly dull. England and Pakistan have swept all before them to seal the top spots. Aus, SA, NZ and Afghanistan are scrapping for the remaining semi-final berths. If I had to guess I’d say it will be Aus and NZ to just go through. Technically I think India and West Indies can still qualify but it’s only a mathematical possibility, not really a practical one.

On 11/1/2021 at 8:00 AM, Raja said:

On 11/1/2021 at 10:38 AM, Xray the Enforcer said:

On 11/1/2021 at 3:08 PM, The Winged Shadow said:

Wow. Who the fuck are in that Panel?

Lots of naming and shaming required. Must be a popular senior cricketer if they are going that far to protect their identity.

Turns out it was Gary Ballance

Gary Ballance says he 'regrets' using racial slur against Azeem Rafiq during time together at Yorkshire https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59155576

On 11/2/2021 at 6:36 PM, Paxter said:

My mischievous side wonders whether England won’t try very hard in their last group game to ensure that Australia is knocked out.

I think they'd be happy to leave open the possibility of a rematch in the final.

1 hour ago, Maltaran said:

Turns out it was Gary Ballance

Gary Ballance says he 'regrets' using racial slur against Azeem Rafiq during time together at Yorkshire https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59155576

I did wonder if that was why they were bringing up Rafiq referring to another players being from Zimbabwe.

I suspect Ballance may have mostly started regretting it once other people found out about it.

While it is good to see criticism of the inadequacy of Yorkshire's response from some cabinet ministers it does feel somewhat hypocritical for them to be criticising an organisation finding one of their own to be innocent of wrong-doing in defiance of the evidence.

The condemnation of Yorkshire has been fairly universal, which is nice to see. 

Australia steamrolled Bangladesh tonight, giving their semi-finals chances a decent boost. 

The Windies keep falling to new lows. Not sure they will be able to overhaul this score from Sri Lanka. 

4 hours ago, Paxter said:

Australia steamrolled Bangladesh tonight, giving their semi-finals chances a decent boost. 

The Windies keep falling to new lows. Not sure they will be able to overhaul this score from Sri Lanka. 

Sri Lanka may not be going any further in the competition but they've probably been better than many people expected in advance given how few recognisable names they had.

38 minutes ago, williamjm said:

Sri Lanka may not be going any further in the competition but they've probably been better than many people expected in advance given how few recognisable names they had.

Yeah I liked their tournament. Unearthed some new stars and restored pride. Who knows, that night out in Durham for Gunathilika and co might have actually been a positive turning point, with new talent now emerging.

Looks like Vaughn has been dragged into the Yorkshire saga, and the CCC chairman has resigned. As they say, sunlight is the best disinfectant, so lets have things aired out rather than swept under the table.

Anyway, in terms of actual cricket I think India would have rued their schedule, since the tougher matches happened first. An upside down schedule may have taken away a lot of the pressure on them.

2 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Looks like Vaughn has been dragged into the Yorkshire saga, and the CCC chairman has resigned. As they say, sunlight is the best disinfectant, so lets have things aired out rather than swept under the table.

Anyway, in terms of actual cricket I think India would have rued their schedule, since the tougher matches happened first. An upside down schedule may have taken away a lot of the pressure on them.

Pakistan also had their hardest matches up front and it didn’t seem to bother them - no excuses India!

But it does seem like India is in with a fighting chance still if Afghanistan can upset NZ by the right margin…

13 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Looks like Vaughn has been dragged into the Yorkshire saga,

Absolutely zero people should be surprised by this. Look at the stuff he's said about Moeen previously

And this stuff is *everywhere* in the UK, comments like the one Vaughan made are a common occurrence by white people who have zero self-awareness - as a brown man, it's much easier to say nothing at all and move on. I'm glad Azeem Rafiq did not.

And institutions like the YCCC will try and look way until they're forced not to.

It's nice to see YCCC get roundly dumped on because of all this.

Archived