Cricket 42: The answer to life, the universe, and the inevitable English batting collapse

Xray the Enforcer

Jason Roy retires hurt with what might be a hamstring injury, which is a blow for England for the final stages of the tournament. 

28 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:

Bravo and Gayle, take a bow legends... say what you want about t20 being inferior to test (true!) but these guys knew how to entertain, give a show

I went to see West Indies Vs Australia at the T20 World Cup in 2009 and Gayle dominated the game, hitting sixes at will, some out of the Oval. Definitely the best limited overs innings I have seen. 

Amazing how good Mo’s form has been since the test retirement call. He is one of the most screwed around players I can think of. A wasted talent for which Smith, Silverwood, Root and others should be criticised more.

ETA: And let’s not forget that the UB was also a fantastic test player. Averaged an excellent 42.

On 11/6/2021 at 5:47 PM, Paxter said:

Unfortunate for SA to be eliminated with just one loss. NRR was always likely to come into the equation given this format. They never have any luck in WCs!

They did seem to have a decent tournament overall and at least it's a less embarrassing way to exit a tournament than some of their previous World Cups.

With England's loss it looks like Pakistan will end up the only unbeaten team of this stage, assuming they don't self-destruct tomorrow.

On 11/6/2021 at 4:26 PM, williamjm said:

Jason Roy retires hurt with what might be a hamstring injury, which is a blow for England for the final stages of the tournament. 

It was his calf apparently but it didn’t look like a mild strain so you’d have to think his World Cup is done. It was quite impressive how fast he was able to hop down the other end.

A bit of a blow for England, they’ve got several decent replacements but Roy is generally excellent at setting the tone with the bat. I’d guess probably Bairstow back to opening and Billings into the middle order is what they’ll do.

Afghanistan choose to bat first again in their key game against New Zealand.

England and Pakistan should be clear favourites heading into these semis…but I still see them as 50:50 matches. So much rides on the toss in these games that it almost feels like a bit of a lottery.

Both Australia and NZ have very suspect batting line-ups but that hasn’t yet been exploited much in this tournament. Let’s see what happens.

Great effort from Neesham and Mitchell to dig New Zealand out of a hole and get them to the final.

From England’s perspective it did feel like the injuries to their bowling options finally hurt them. They really could have done with Archer at the death.

Again, batting first was a major disadvantage.

But still a good effort for NZ to score 109 from the last ten overs, with quite a few balls to spare. Mitchell an unexpected revelation in this tournament.

Great for NZ to get revenge for the 2019 tie!

ETA: Funnily enough the worst thing for England was getting Conway out. Neesham is such an X Factor in T20 and there isn't much you can do once he gets going. 

10 minutes ago, Raja said:

We're at the final already? oof

T20 doesn't hang around.

The Pakistan vs Australia semi is tomorrow. On current form Pakistan should be the favourites, although wouldn't be a huge surprise to see it go the other way.

2 hours ago, williamjm said:

T20 doesn't hang around.

The Pakistan vs Australia semi is tomorrow. On current form Pakistan should be the favourites, although wouldn't be a huge surprise to see it go the other way.

An intriguing contest: Pakistan have been totally dominant but are perhaps due a bad game, Australia have been scratchy but have a habit of winning elimination games in ICC events…

I’m going to say that the toss will decide it!!

T20 really is fickle. This tournament underlines its junk food status next to the degustation that is long-form cricket.

I’m not sure I see the point of Steve Smith coming in at four in T20s for Australia. Surely they have better options than that.

Big wicket for Pakistan. Australia need a significant contribution from Maxwell now.

ETA: Er, doesn’t look like Warner hit that.

Archived