The Matrix Resurrections [SPOILERS]

SpaceChampion

4 minutes ago, unJon said:

I liked it a lot. Lots of meta, call backs and Easter Eggs. 

Meta on top of meta. I'm only a little over half way through, but there was one scene that couldn't help me from thinking about this:

I really really liked it. It isn't game changing like the matrix was, but it combined a lot of the best parts of the first movie and the sequels. It didn't shy away from doing explanations for the most part and did expand the universe without rewriting everything. 

1 hour ago, Kalsandra said:

I really really liked it. It isn't game changing like the matrix was, but it combined a lot of the best parts of the first movie and the sequels. It didn't shy away from doing explanations for the most part and did expand the universe without rewriting everything. 

Agreed.  The first film was unexpected in a way this film couldn’t be.  I like the way it continually acknowledged the recursive nature of this story.  

Better color palette too.

:)

That was pretty good, actually. The focus on the Neo-Trinity relationship as the core of the movie was a pretty good choice since that was the core of the story and it didn't actually end well the last time around ... especially insofar as good dialogue is concerned.

I'd have liked it if they had focused a little bit more on the conflict within the machine society considering that this seems to be a pretty big thing, but they can do that if there are further sequels.

Hmm, 7/10 maybe?

I thought the first act was incredible, and if it had been bold enough to keep that vibe going for the whole runtime I think it would've been a better movie. As is, it kinda turned into a slog for the rest of the movie. Also the action scenes were mostly pretty disappointing, the ending abrupt, and NPH was not a good villain. I do think Jonathan Groff did a good job, but I think Hugo Weaving would've been even better. And I don't understand why Laurence Fishburne wasn't even asked to be involved, he easily could've played that role.

However, it had enough interesting moments in between the slog, and some really neat environmental visuals, to keep me engaged. And I really did like that first act a lot.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

So is this a spoilers thread or clean?

No idea.

16 minutes ago, Fez said:

I thought the first act was incredible, and if it had been bold enough to keep that vibe going for the whole runtime I think it would've been a better movie. As is, it kinda turned into a slog for the rest of the movie. Also the action scenes were mostly pretty disappointing, the ending abrupt, and NPH was not a good villain. I do think Jonathan Groff did a good job, but I think Hugo Weaving would've been even better. And I don't understand why Laurence Fishburne wasn't even asked to be involved, he easily could've played that role.

However, it had enough interesting moments in between the slog, and some really neat environmental visuals, to keep me engaged. And I really did like that first act a lot.

I think if there is a problem with the story then it is that

Spoiler

we didn't get much about the situation with the machines amongst themselves and their relations with the humans. Is the peace treaty accepted which allowed the good guys to take out the people who didn't want to live in the Matrix? Or was that scrapped when the Matrix got an upgrade ... which happened some decades later since our villain didn't got the new Matrix working until he figured out what to do with Trinity and Neo.

How does it work that some machine guys joined the humans ... while the agents still seem to hunt and kill folks who get people out of the Matrix? Or do they only protect Neo/Trinity and things connected to them in this manner?

It is kind of implied that the Analyst got in charge because he increased the energy output of the power plants ... which sort of implies that after the peace too many humans were freed from the plants to keep the machines completely happy.

We also have some good machines having access to Machine City, so how split is the society as such? It would have been interesting to see some machine talk about that stuff. The Analyst does command the Watchers in the city to attack the gang at the Anomaly ... is this something the dude running the entertainment program of a power plant should actually have the authority to do? How many Machine City folk support the ruling order?

The number of times we heard them reference the Oracle (and the Architect at least once without mentioning his name) might imply that she is still out there in some data storage device. And I'd not be surprised if Fishbourne-Morpheus were to return as well. We never hear that he actually died, so perhaps he disappeared and is in cold storage somewhere in Machine City.

The path for Weaving's return in another sequel is also open. The Analyst doesn't want to reboot the earlier Matrix version in the end ... but that could change quickly, and we can assume that, if that were done, Smith would return wearing his old skin ... just as the Oracle and the Architect might be back.

I agree that the movie slows down in the second half, but I think it still works pretty well as a personal story. They should have hinted at some more ... making it clear that the personal story might have larger consequences. Especially it would have been good to know what the hell Smith was about this time. It being the same procedure as every year didn't seem to lead anywhere.

But in a certain sense the ending very much mirrors the ending of part 1 where they also start to mess with the status quo.

It is a pity that the Kid guy from 2 & 3 didn't show up. He was young enough to be somewhat younger than Niobe in the movie, and his interactions with Neo could have been fun.

I thought it was a lotta fun.  The only thing missing from the original was a sense of humor, and boy did the make up for that.  I agree I'd prolly give it a 7/10.  I also agree I did not like the new Smith.  Didn't work for me - give me Weaving!

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Hmm, 7/10 maybe?

I thought the first act was incredible, and if it had been bold enough to keep that vibe going for the whole runtime I think it would've been a better movie.

This was my reaction. I went in skeptical because The Matrix is the only movie of Lana Wachoski's oeuvre that I like, and the rest I find to be interesting ideas that were poorly executed.

But the first half of Resurrections was sufficiently intriguing that I was ready to credit her with another good movie. Then the second half occurred, and the movie fell precipitously in quality for me.

7/10 is a fair rating. I think I personally would go with 6/10. I really disliked the ending.

34 minutes ago, DMC said:

give me Weaving!

Clarity please, because his niece....

But in all seriousness, Smith was probably the weakest part. I get why they did it, but I would have loved if Hugo showed up at the end just for a cameo suggesting the real Smith was back in this world. 

ETA: As far as rating it goes, I have to give it a 5 or 6/10. The first act is excellent, but after that it's just kind of there with a lot of mediocre fan service. I never cared about the second or third films, so maybe that's partially why I lost interest, and SPOILERS

Spoiler

NPH was not who I wanted to be the main baddy, but I thought he might be after seeing the trailers. Nothing against him, but I just don't think his humor fit.

Jessica Henwick was awesome though. She's come a long way from being one of the shitty Sand Snakes.

2 minutes ago, sifth said:

So I have a question about the beginning of the film.

[/spoiler] So the opening scene of this movie was Bugs hacking into Neo's video game of the Matrix right? In which she freed the agent Smith of the game, who just so happened to also be Morpheus as well. Did I get that right

Partially (or entirely, if I misunderstanding something you're saying)

Spoiler

Bugs did hack Neo's game, or maybe a test portion of it, and released the new Morpheus. And that guy was based on Neo's memories of both Morpheus and Smith. However, the real Smith was Jonathan Groff's character, who Neo's business partner and who was being controlled by NPH's character. He was apparently being used as another facet of making Neo's life miserable, but he wasn't free to do what he wanted (possibly he wasn't even aware of his own nature or memories). Something about the illusion of Neo's life as a video game developer breaking down, combined with picking up a gun, freed Smith to become independent again.

Awesome for about two hours, then the love child showed up and the entire third act went to shit. 

But I've seen nonsense third acts before. At least this movie was about stuff, and I was excited to see what happened. More than can be said for most Marvel efforts.

1 minute ago, Babblebauble said:

Awesome for about two hours, then the love child showed up and the entire third act went to shit. 

But I've seen nonsense third acts before. At least this movie was about stuff, and I was excited to see what happened. More than can be said for most Marvel efforts.

The “Love Child”?

Archived