The Matrix Resurrections [SPOILERS]

SpaceChampion

39 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

ok, what...   The movie The Matrix seems to be projected onto a screen I think twice in the trailer.  Like, the 1999 movie exists in whatever world Resurrections is.

Well if this is a new cycle, then Neo, the One , the anomaly, may have retained memories of his previous life.

42 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

ok, what...   The movie The Matrix seems to be projected onto a screen I think twice in the trailer.  Like, the 1999 movie exists in whatever world Resurrections is.

That’s an interestingly meta angle.  Is Keanu going to be playing Keanu?

5 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That’s an interestingly meta angle.  Is Keanu going to be playing Keanu?

I love that idea but he gets referred to as Mr Anderson and Neo, unless he’s playing an actor called Thomas Anderson who played Neo in The Matrix. And he also doesn’t recognise Carrie Anne Moss.

I think people are overthinking it. He does appear to be the same Neo we met in the OG trilogy (we see an out-of-Matrix shot of him and he still has the burned-out eye sockets from Resurrections whilst appearing to be older). My guess is the machines blue-pilled and returned him to the Matrix as thanks - sort of - after he defeated Smith, and maybe because they wanted to keep the reboot code handy in case they ever needed it again.

The images on the movie screen are probably from Jessica Henwick and maybe YoungMorpheus(?) using images from his past to try to reawaken his memories. We saw the Architect had access to all of Neo's memories (and apparently possible futures) on his absurd mega-bank of TVs in Reloaded, so they may have just tapped into that.

34 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I think people are overthinking it. He does appear to be the same Neo we met in the OG trilogy (we see an out-of-Matrix shot of him and he still has the burned-out eye sockets from Resurrections whilst appearing to be older). My guess is the machines blue-pilled and returned him to the Matrix as thanks - sort of - after he defeated Smith, and maybe because they wanted to keep the reboot code handy in case they ever needed it again.

The images on the movie screen are probably from Jessica Henwick and maybe YoungMorpheus(?) using images from his past to try to reawaken his memories. We saw the Architect had access to all of Neo's memories (and apparently possible futures) on his absurd mega-bank of TVs in Reloaded, so they may have just tapped into that.

It’s strange that the image of Neo and his first awakening is interposed over a firefight scene.  Was the empty eye image from early in the trailer when Neo is in the Counselor’s office?

57 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Wow, well spotted. 

I guess they probably rebuilt Trinity and reinserted her as well.

The Neil Patrick Harris character is probably a machine program inserted to keep an eye on Neo and make sure he doesn't reawaken; keep feeding him blue pills.

Just wonder how a young Morpheus enters the picture (and it is apparently Morpheus according to the actor, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II)

• 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Anyone else getting more and more keen on seeing this film.  Going for “Eternal Recurssion” perhaps?

I'm thinking this is gonna be the first film I've seen in theaters since The Revenge of Skywalker

No pressure, Wachowski's

47 minutes ago, Babblebauble said:

I'm thinking this is gonna be the first film I've seen in theaters since The Revenge of Skywalker

No pressure, Wachowski's

I think only one of them is involved with this one. That said, I’m really looking forward to this. I’m considering finding a hallucinogenic to take when I watch it, since I did that the first time I watched each movie in the trilogy. 

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Anyone else getting more and more keen on seeing this film.  Going for “Eternal Recurssion” perhaps?

As I said in the trailers thread, I'm really getting excited for it too. I think at minimum it'll be an interesting failure with neat visuals, and a chance that it'll be really good with some things to say. Possibly about nostalgia and the endless pursuit of the past through reboots and remakes.

There was Keanu quote floating around a little while ago about how the first Matrix movie predicted the next 20 years of technology and society (which I think is overstating things, but it did get right some things; plus itself became iconic and subject to copying) and that this new movie was predicting the next 20 years.

4 hours ago, Fez said:

I think at minimum it'll be an interesting failure with neat visuals, and a chance that it'll be really good with some things to say. 

This is why I'll happily watch anything that either of the Wachowskis put out. I think overall they have more misses than hits, but even their misses always swing for the fences and do something interesting. 

Got to admit I'm keeping my expectations low; I didn't like where the previous two sequels took the story so I'm bound not to like where the fourth one takes it, and sequels that come decades later generally don't work out well.

But that said, it will feel great to be watching a Matrix film in cinema again, it will bring back fond memories, the original came out when I was still young with big dreams, and it really fired up my imagination.

7 hours ago, Fez said:

There was Keanu quote floating around a little while ago about how the first Matrix movie predicted the next 20 years of technology and society (which I think is overstating things, but it did get right some things; plus itself became iconic and subject to copying) and that this new movie was predicting the next 20 years.

Unless I'm thinking of something else entirely, which is quite possible, I thought it was the next 20 years of action film making essentially rather than technology generally. The internet doesn't play a large enough role to claim it predicted technology generally.

3 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

This is what I don't like. I'm sure I'm not alone. Otherwise it looks pretty great. 

I think there looks to be actual plot reason he needed to be played by a new actor, but I'm disappointed that LF wasn't in the loop on it at least - he deserved a phone call explaining that.

I'm also getting pretty excited for it. Given details we know now that we didn't at the time (Lana and Lily's experiences as trans women in the closet and pre any transition activities etc influencing much of the narrative etc) it seems likely to me that the last 20 years has probably given a lot of different perspective to infuse into the new story arc. It's a more substantial change to the creator than would normally be seen in ~20 years.

Archived