The Matrix Resurrections [SPOILERS]

SpaceChampion

And it appears the teasers have some gimmick linking them to your local time, unless it's pure coincidence that the narrator called out the exact time on my computer for each of the teasers. Top notch marketing! Or is it a GLITCH IN THE MATRIX? ;)

Man, I was a teen and just discovering the wild world of the late 90s internet when the Matrix marketing campaign rolled out that website, secret codes in the html, cryptic messages in video game and promotional tie-ins, the works. I spent so much damn time trying to be the one to figure out the next secret message. I'd love if this little website teaser is the beginning of another similar marketing campaign, this time with another 20 years advancement in online tech, the emergence of social media, and a huge range of online entertainment sources. 

5 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

And it appears the teasers have some gimmick linking them to your local time, unless it's pure coincidence that the narrator called out the exact time on my computer for each of the teasers. Top notch marketing! Or is it a GLITCH IN THE MATRIX? ;)

It builds the local time into the trailers.  That is pretty damn cool.

Most speculation is almost impossible until/unless we get an answer to this question: Is the plot of The Matrix Online still canon or not?

That game's plot was written in collaboration with the Wachowskis and was advertised as the direct continuation of the story from the original movie trilogy. If this new movie is picking up from where that game left off (presumably with some hopefully well written info dump at some point to catch up everyone who never played the game), the starting point of this movie is very different from if it's picking up from the end of the trilogy.

Either way though, I think the trailer looks pretty dope. And, I suspect, the central plot will somehow tie into cycles and this being the latest iteration of the Matrix (it was the 6th cycle IIRC in the original trilogy). How Neo and Trinity tie into that will depend on The Matrix Online question, but that would explain why "Morpheus" is so different and there's so many callbacks to the original film.

16 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Looks cool an all, but quite what it’s about I have no idea. Plot of the first one with some deja vu mixed in I guess?

Why does it look visually worse than the original, like the effects are no so completely unimpressive to me. I guess I'm not surprised, Cloud Atlas and Jupiter Ascending were garish nightmares.. this feels closer to that.. not quite as bad but it's lost that drained out colourised look that I thought was actually very cool before.

Also.. it all feels a bit rebooty... and just.. worse.

18 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Looks cool an all, but quite what it’s about I have no idea. Plot of the first one with some deja vu mixed in I guess?

The trailer at least seems to focus on life in the Matrix and the impressions of wrongness you can get when you're in it.

4 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

So they recast Morpheus? 

And I suppose this a new cycle. I know nothing about the online game Fez mentioned above.

The game was an MMO, meaning there was a crazy amount of plot but a lot of it seemed like filler or never got properly resolved. However, the key points IMO that would influence this movie if it's still canon are:

• It ended up being a truce between the machines and people, rather than a peace (whereas the third movie ending suggests that it is a true peace); and there are members on both sides that want the war to come back
  • The Merovingian (who is confirmed to be in the new movie) gained a ton of power as a truly independent third party
  • Morpheus gets killed while trying to recovery Neo's body
  • Neo's body is never found, but the machines claim they didn't recycle his remains. This plot point didn't get resolved before the game got shut down, but near the end there were rumors that the machines had created a Neo program in the Matrix for some reason

So they retrieved Neo and Trinity's corpses, and then revived or cloned them before reinserting them into the Matrix?

For those unimpressed by the visuals, I think it's more of a fact that in 1999 the visuals were all cutting edge. Now you can see ILM quality every week on Disney+. Not to say there isn't some palette carry over from Jupiter Rising and Cloud Atlas. Older film makers tend to evolve their styles. Look at the style difference between New Hope and Phantom Menace.

40 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

So they retrieved Neo and Trinity's corpses, and then revived or cloned them before reinserting them into the Matrix?

For those unimpressed by the visuals, I think it's more of a fact that in 1999 the visuals were all cutting edge. Now you can see ILM quality every week on Disney+. Not to say there isn't some palette carry over from Jupiter Rising and Cloud Atlas. Older film makers tend to evolve their styles. Look at the style difference between New Hope and Phantom Menace.

Yeah I think part of it was that the Matrix 1999 has a unique look, and sure that is also a product of the way things looked at the time but it had a cold quality that really worked well with the Matrix itself. Felt a lot like their previous movie, Bound.

Im sure there is a justification for why the Matrix now looks so colourful, probably this Matrix is even better at making life feel more comfortable and enjoyable ( even if that was a flaw of earlier versions)

But to me it just looks like a lot of the recent Wachowski productions, colourful to the point of just feeling like a cartoon. 
It’s also not great that this aesthetic is pretty much everywhere these days. 

Eh, might check it out on HBO Max if I’m bored. The sequels are wildly terrible (fuck the recent online attempts to reevaluate them as “masterpieces actually”, dummies did the same with the Star Wars prequels), and the Wachowski track record is pretty poor in general, so even if there weren’t a plague and the trailer were more exciting, I don’t think I could get myself out the door to see this.

9 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

But to me it just looks like a lot of the recent Wachowski productions, colourful to the point of just feeling like a cartoon. 

It’s also not great that this aesthetic is pretty much everywhere these days. 

I feel like that hypercolor aesthetic is very good for previews, but bad for a full movie.  So we can hope that the rest of the film won't be quite so overwhelming. 

Archived