The Matrix Resurrections [SPOILERS]

SpaceChampion

10 minutes ago, Werthead said:

(hence why she glows green with Matrix code in one shot),

To be fair, in Neo-vision everything and everyone glows green with Matrix code. It might be a clue to her true nature, or it might be a 'Neo rediscovering his powers with Trinity's help leading to the code-vision breaking through' sequence.

3 hours ago, Toth said:

I guess the Wachowskis have to be treated similarly to George Lucas as idea guys and visual directors, but in dire need of having a great writer who will focus their settings on a tight script. I second the notion that Sense8 was absolutely fantastic, visually mesmerizing and with very strong protagonists, even if it sometimes veered into too bizarrely cartoonish territory despite taking itself so seriously. I have a feeling that the tightness of the script was in large part thanks to J. Michael Straczynski reigning them in.

I see in the credits that David Mitchell and Aleksandar Hemon as cowriters. Is that a hint for something good or bad?

It doesn't look like either of them have much screenwriting experience. I think David Mitchell is a great novelist, whether that translates into being a good co-writer on a script remains to be seen.

I think Inception has primed us for no less than 4 layers of reality (dream within dream within...you get the picture), and if I recall correctly from the original Matrix everyone was in a dreamlike fugue state while their bioenergy was being harvested. So I think audiences are mature enough to accept (now at least) the notion of everything around us just being another Matrix. Of course, the weakness still would be what one level above us would look like, and if its just turtles all the way up, that would be majorly anticlimatic.

14 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I think Inception has primed us for no less than 4 layers of reality (dream within dream within...you get the picture), and if I recall correctly from the original Matrix everyone was in a dreamlike fugue state while their bioenergy was being harvested. So I think audiences are mature enough to accept (now at least) the notion of everything around us just being another Matrix. Of course, the weakness still would be what one level above us would look like, and if its just turtles all the way up, that would be majorly anticlimatic.

I mean, Inception ended with the spinning top … I don’t see why they couldn’t have pulled off the same trick. 

4 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Agreed, Reloaded wasn't perfect, but it had some good action (the highway scene was very well done) and some interesting ideas they were introducing.  At the end, they are outside of the Matrix and about to get killed by the HKs, and then Neo holds up his hand and shorts them out with his mind.  The clear implication is that even after being unplugged that they were still in the matrix. 

My theory was that what the Architect said was somewhat true, that The One was an anomaly that the machines could not remove, and thus their solution was to bury him deeper in a matrix within a matrix to better control the situation.  Neo's ability to manipulate the Upper Matrix would be a new phase of the same war.  Which has real potential. 

Yeah, the Architect's discussion was the best part (and only worthy part?) of Reloaded, it opened a lot of possibilities, Inception-like. Revolutions did like it didn't really happen.

But then Reloaded had done the same with the real Matrix movie. The one which ends with neo being close to all-powerful inside the Matrix, able to fly and stuff. All forgotten or retconned stupidly in Reloaded, in a way that's not credible at all, so that they can make their sorry excuse of sequels with Neo not being all-powerful at the end of the day, but being arguably less powerful than in 1.

As for layers of Matrix, like IheartTesla said, it shouldn't be too outlandish to people nowadays. After all, we've seen wide and public debate about the possibility of we all being just NPCs in a giant simulation.

I've always absolutely hated the idea of the real world being just another layer of the matrix, because it renders literal what was already established thematically. 

Zion, the One, the war between freed humans and agents, was all a system of control. The freed humans thought they were a resistance, but in fact Zion was built by the machines to put all the troublemakers in a relatively controllable environment, and the One was the method by which they re-set everything when it started getting to the point of being uncontrollable. 

I.e. the real world was just another extension of the matrix, but it was a false ideology, rather than a literal simulation.

This was an interesting thematic counterpoint to the first film, essentially comparing the machines' manipulation and management of human resistance to the way the real-life establishment will co-opt the imagery of anti-establishment movements and turn them into brands, or try to turn social movements into empty lifestyle expressions. You thought you were a rebel? We'll come down to the mall and get your entire look from Hot Topic.

I have to say, it just looks like a rehash of the first film. Not sure where they're going with this.

Is it going to be the start of a new trilogy? Sees like there could potentially be a lot of story to fit in just one new film.

The original trilogy did feel like an incomplete story, there was no real progress. Humans remain trapped in the Matrix at the end. Going through all of that just for it to end with some truce between man and machine was not a satisfactory resolution to a trilogy and I think the majority of the audience felt that.

But I feel like the 2nd film ruined the story irreparably anyway. To make 'The One' a creation of the machines ruins the first film, completely taking away from the elation of Neo's awakening at the end, to the point where I have to pretend the sequels don't exist in order to enjoy re-watching the first film. 

13 hours ago, Liffguard said:

I've always absolutely hated the idea of the real world being just another layer of the matrix, because it renders literal what was already established thematically. 

Zion, the One, the war between freed humans and agents, was all a system of control. The freed humans thought they were a resistance, but in fact Zion was built by the machines to put all the troublemakers in a relatively controllable environment, and the One was the method by which they re-set everything when it started getting to the point of being uncontrollable. 

I.e. the real world was just another extension of the matrix, but it was a false ideology, rather than a literal simulation.

This was an interesting thematic counterpoint to the first film, essentially comparing the machines' manipulation and management of human resistance to the way the real-life establishment will co-opt the imagery of anti-establishment movements and turn them into brands, or try to turn social movements into empty lifestyle expressions. You thought you were a rebel? We'll come down to the mall and get your entire look from Hot Topic.

I did like that idea, of the resistance being "controlled" without realising it. But I still think 'The One' should have been something that naturally occurs within The Matrix that the machines can't prevent, rather than being an actual creation of the machines.

Like maybe they can't prevent The One from being born, but they know The One is going to be born so they've created this rabbit hole narrative to try manipulate him and lead him down a desired path. That's a story direction I would've liked.

1 hour ago, Darryk said:

I did like that idea, of the resistance being "controlled" without realising it. But I still think 'The One' should have been something that naturally occurs within The Matrix that the machines can't prevent, rather than being an actual creation of the machines.

Like maybe they can't prevent The One from being born, but they know The One is going to be born so they've created this rabbit hole narrative to try manipulate him and lead him down a desired path. That's a story direction I would've liked.

I thought that was what the Architect said.  That the One was an anomaly that the machines could not eliminate, they could only seek to control. 

34 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I thought that was what the Architect said.  That the One was an anomaly that the machines could not eliminate, they could only seek to control. 

That was my take too.  “The One” always emerged as the Matrix grew.  The reset was the Machines method of managing a bug they could not prevent from arising.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That was my take too.  “The One” always emerged as the Matrix grew.  The reset was the Machines method of managing a bug they could not prevent from arising.

That was what I thought as well when I first watched it, then years later I watched a YouTube video discussing the story of The Matrix and they mentioned The One was created by the machines, and I was like "what? that's not how I remember it" so I went to the Wiki and it says this:

From the Matrix Wiki:

The mechanisms by which The One appears are rather simple and arranged in the Prime Program process: when the anomalies in the Matrix reach a certain threshold and begin to pose serious problems, a random human is selected by the machines to be born with a special code (the Integral Anomaly) that, as said before, ties and attaches all of the anomalies within the Matrix to the programming of this human. 

The part I hate the most is this:

The One is given special abilities by the Machines in order to enhance the idea of them being a "Saviour" to mankind so that they themselves will then believe it is their duty to save humanity.

The part where Neo stops the bullets and then sees the Matrix as code is one of my favorite scenes in film history so the idea that his powers are deliberately given to him by the machines in order to deceive him really negates the power of that scene for me.

But if the Wiki is wrong then I stand happily corrected.

1 hour ago, Kaligator said:

I am happy that people are complaining about the plot of the matrix and making a suggestion that it would be better if it had the plot of the matrix 

The sequels unfortunately were poorly made films in general, with plodding, pretentious dialogue and disorganized structure; versus the slick dialogue and perfect structure of the first film. So even if my issues with the story were negated, they would still not be satisfactory films for me. 

Archived