Hand & Kingsguard

Davosluckyfingers

This has probably been done to death but it’s a topic that interests me.

at the beginning of winds of winter your anointed king, most of the notable warriors are dead or dying at this point and you need to choose a hand of the king and a kings guard… so who do you choose?

For me I want loyal and honourable people first & foremost, being skilled with a sword/ able commanders is also an added bonus, people like Bronn or Robert Strong wouldn’t get into my KG because they lack either honour or loyalty (or both). I think the people I’ve selected are all honourable, capable and seasoned in battle but the only downside is me is a lack of diversity (region wise).

so the rules are:

they have to be ALIVE (people who’s fates are uncertain such as Loras are allowed).

No lords in the KG, why would they forsake there lands to become glorified bodyguards…

Nobody from the nights watch

bastards ARE allowed 

without further ado, my picks would be 

Hand:

Lord Mathis Rowan - described as “sensible, well liked, prudent, able and loyal” by Kevan Lannister, he’s fought and commanded in battles (a hero of black water), worked with arguably the greatest battle commander alive in Randyll Tarly and  Jamie Lannister believes he would make an able hand of the king.

Kingsguard:

LC, Ser Barristan Selmy (Stormlands) - this really needs no explanation, he’s the greatest living knight and one of the GOATS

Ser Jorah Mormont (North) - this may split opinion as his loyalty to anyone other than Dany is questionable but we know he is seasoned in battle, a capable warrior and good person.

Ser Balon Swann (Stormlands) - described as “courtly, modest, obedient and valiant” Balon has so far depicted himself as a man of honour, him and Mandon Moore were brilliant fighting at black water so we know he is a respected warrior who is according to GRRM “good with a Lance, better with a Morningstar and exceptional with a bow”… we may get to see him against Areo Hotah in single combat in the next book.

Ser Addam Marbrand (Westerlands) - one of Jamie’s best friends, growing up sparring with one of the most exceptional swordsmen is Westeros can’t be a bad thing and he is described as an “excellent horseman and sword fighter” but another thing for me is he’s honourable and well liked .. being described as “a daring commander who other would willingly follow into battle”.

Ser Garlan Tyrell (the Reach) - exceptionally skilled fighter proven in combat, not hungry for glory like his brother and no ego despite his heroics at the battle of blackwater.

Ser Brienne of Tarth (Stormlands) - loyal to a fault, brilliant warrior, genuinely good person. That’s someone you would want in your seven surely.

Ser Rolland Storm (Stormlands) - this last spot was difficult, I thought about Daemon Sand to bring a dornishman into the fold and also Lothor Brune of the Vale but to me Rolland Storm is just badass! A fierce warrior who Cersei thinks of as a “seasoned killer”. He’s incredibly loyal to first Renly and then Stannis and is probably the only reason Stannis is alive after blackwater.

Minus points for refusing to fight Loras in single combat BUT I believe this was down to him trying to hold storms end for as long as possible on Stannis orders rather than cowardice.

SO, how do they match up to previous kingsguards? What do they lack if anything?  would you have picked better choices for the white cloaks and hand of the king?

I guess my answer changes based on who is king/queen. besides skill I'd want someone loyal.

If king Jon I want Olyvar Frey. (he was loyal to Robb so why not)

If king fAeg I want a duck.

If Queen Dany I want at least one of her Kos.

If King Stannis... oh no... wait... no one good enough is very loyal to Stannis.

I'm not so sure that Jorah Mormont deserves a place in the Kingsguard. He seems to be a man who will abandon his honor when things get tough.

His love for Lynesse Hightower led him into the slave trade. His desire to get out of exile led him to spy on Daenerys, but his love for Daenerys led him to turn his cloak. And when she called him on the spying, he made excuses and denied responsibility for his actions.

I actually kind of like the guy; I hope he comes to a good end. But not in the Kingsguard; I don't think he's quite the caliber for that.

6 hours ago, Targaryeninkingslanding said:

I guess my answer changes based on who is king/queen. besides skill I'd want someone loyal.

If King Stannis... oh no... wait... no one good enough is very loyal to Stannis.

The OP said you are the king in this scenario.

7 hours ago, Davosluckyfingers said:

Ser Garlan Tyrell (the Reach) - exceptionally skilled fighter proven in combat, not hungry for glory like his brother and no ego despite his heroics at the battle of blackwater.

Ser Addam Marbrand (Westerlands) - one of Jamie’s best friends, growing up sparring with one of the most exceptional swordsmen is Westeros can’t be a bad thing and he is described as an “excellent horseman and sword fighter” but another thing for me is he’s honourable and well liked .. being described as “a daring commander who other would willingly follow into battle”.

Ser Brienne of Tarth (Stormlands) - loyal to a fault, brilliant warrior, genuinely good person. That’s someone you would want in your seven surely.

Ser Rolland Storm (Stormlands) - this last spot was difficult, I thought about Daemon Sand to bring a dornishman into the fold and also Lothor Brune of the Vale but to me Rolland Storm is just badass! A fierce warrior who Cersei thinks of as a “seasoned killer”. He’s incredibly loyal to first Renly and then Stannis and is probably the only reason Stannis is alive after blackwater.

I'm pretty sure that all four of these characters aren't eligible for your scenario; Garlan is has Brightwater Keep and his own cadet branch, while the others are all heirs to their houses (assuming that House Caron is restored to their lands with Rolland at the head). 

As for my own choices: 

Hand:

Davos Seaworth. This is a man who will speak truth to power, and stand by his convictions and morals. He's also determined to improve himself and be the best Hand to his king that he can be. Any king should count themselves lucky to have such a man at their side.

Kingsguard: 

Balon Swann

Richard Horpe

Lyle Crakehall

Olyvar Frey

Donnel Waynwood

Elyas Willum

Andrew Estermont

I was thinking of Daemon Sand, but he probably wouldn't want that honour. 

6 hours ago, James Steller said:

The OP said you are the king in this scenario.

I'm pretty sure that all four of these characters aren't eligible for your scenario; Garlan is has Brightwater Keep and his own cadet branch, while the others are all heirs to their houses (assuming that House Caron is restored to their lands with Rolland at the head). 

As for my own choices: 

Hand:

Davos Seaworth. This is a man who will speak truth to power, and stand by his convictions and morals. He's also determined to improve himself and be the best Hand to his king that he can be. Any king should count themselves lucky to have such a man at their side.

Kingsguard: 

Balon Swann

Richard Horpe

Lyle Crakehall

Olyvar Frey

Donnel Waynwood

Elyas Willum

Andrew Estermont

I was thinking of Daemon Sand, but he probably wouldn't want that honour. 

I completely forgot about Davos (despite my username!) he would make a fantastic hand of the king.

I agree about the 4 you mentioned being long shots, I believe Brienne would absolutely join the kingsguard and others have been known to forsake their claims/lands (most notably Jamie Lannister) to serve.

Richard Horpe I did think of but to me he seems another Mandon Moore.. I can’t remember who in the canon but somebody says it was right that Robert overlooked him for the kingsguard as he is too fond of killing.

Lyle Crakehall is an excellent shout as well, I would maybe swap him for Jorah as the other poster pointed out his loyalty is questionable.

22 hours ago, Targaryeninkingslanding said:

"Which would you have... the smiler or the slayer?"

Yeah Stannis would be hooped to build a KG.

10 hours ago, Davosluckyfingers said:

Richard Horpe I did think of but to me he seems another Mandon Moore.. I can’t remember who in the canon but somebody says it was right that Robert overlooked him for the kingsguard as he is too fond of killing.

To be honest, I don't get that vibe from him. Godry Farring is far more willing to pick a fight, and Clayton Suggs is clearly turned on by violence and torture, and Richard seems like a perfectly average guy beside them. He's also valued enough that he's basically the second-in-command of Stannis' forces, or so it seems to me. Stannis always has him by his side, and this is also after Horpe stayed loyal to him through thick and thin. I'd consider Horpe a worthy addition to the Kingsguard.

Ser Addam is heir to his father's lands. Good man, but scratch him. 

Jorah is a slave pedophile who fled his land to avoid a death sentence. Never.

Garlan Tyrell is Lord of Brightwater Keep. Scratch him.

Brienne is heir to Tarth. Scratch her.

Rolland Storm is awesome, but the last descendant of House Caron. He would, under the best circumstances, be legitimized and have his home restored from Ser Philip Foote.

Ser Barristan is awesome. Ser Balon is awesome. I'd keep those two. 

All Pates, always.

Pate the Plowman
Pate the Woodcock
Pate of the Blue Fork
Pate of Fairmarket
Pate of Lancewood
Pate of Longleaf
Pate of Mory
Pate of Shermer's Grove
Old Pate

(This is not a topic, it is nonsense, please try to talk about the books (there should be a separate section of the forum for this).)

Archived