Sign in to follow this  
NickGOT456

Why were the early 2010s so vapid?

I remember in the early 2010s things weren't as crazy as they are now but looking back it was vapid. The "Syfy", "History", and "Discovery" Channels replaced their programming with reality TV. Even at the beginning of the MCU's success "Geek" culture wasn't as accepted as much as it is now. There was little to no interest for sci fi and space travel.

I also remembering watching a video with a speech by Neil Degrasse Tyson lamenting how American society has lost it's drive to explore and advance.

Why was society more conformist and vapid in the early 2010s?

Did the retirement of the Space Shuttle contribute? Or did science and technology stopped being inspiring long before?

Did the American education system do a good job of killing imagination and intellectual curiosity in youth?

Did technological advancement make society comfortable enough to people to go "Hey society is good enough already so why should we aspire to a "Star Trek" like society?"

Thanks to advancements in CGI tech we are seeing a boom in fantasy and a resurgence in sci fi.

O wait, this is that poster.  :rofl:  NMIND then.

Edited by Zorral

On 9/9/2021 at 12:54 PM, NickGOT456 said:

There was little to no interest for sci fi and space travel.

Why is this a sign of vapidity to you?

I know you're not gonna answer but still

On 9/9/2021 at 8:58 PM, Starkess said:

I'm not up to date enough on my logical fallacies to remember which one this is, but baking a very subjective premise into your question is a terrible way to start a discussion.

I think this is just good ol' fashioned question begging.

I can agree it was a bummer when some of the educational type shows all fell away and were replaced by reality type stuff.  Some of it worse than others for sure. 

On 9/9/2021 at 6:17 PM, larrytheimp said:

If you thought the 2010s were vapid you should have seen every other decade of consumerism/capitalism on the western world.  It's all the same shit.

I do not think it was any better before the industrial era. There's no punk rock in the Holy Roman Empire (and the vicinity)