Weirdest Facebook bans

Ser Scot A Ellison

So, I received a 48 Hour ban from Facebook for correcting someone on the Name of Tom Bombadil’s pony, “Fatty Lumpkin”.

I just received a 72 hour ban because someone posted a photo of a disgusting toilet and asked “What would you do if you found this?”.  My comment was “Nuke the site from orbit, it’s the only way to be sure.”  Referencing Riply from Aliens.

I’ve appealed this one.  Anyone else get any random Facebook bans because its algorithm can’t parse context or sarcasm?

Nothing on bans, but I used "nuke it from orbit, its only only way to be sure" in a technical IT meeting a couple of years back and got blank looks. It turned out, to my surprise, that none of the other half a dozen people present knew the quote (though I was the oldest there by about 10 years). So it might not be as widely known these days as you might think.

12 minutes ago, A wilding said:

Nothing on bans, but I used "nuke it from orbit, its only only way to be sure" in a technical IT meeting a couple of years back and got blank looks. It turned out, to my surprise, that none of the other half a dozen people present knew the quote (though I was the oldest there by about 10 years). So it might not be as widely known these days as you might think.

Wow.  I thought “Aliens” was a seminal work.

4 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

It’s an easy way to keep up with various people I don’t Live near.

I can only imagine how difficult non-misanthropic life must be for some of you. 

Nope. Altho, I don't have a facebook account, so I wouldn't know.

But I got a warning point on this board once over a silly fat joke involving Chris Christie. The Peter Griffin of American Politics. Not sure whether that counts.

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

So, I received a 48 Hour ban from Facebook for correcting someone on the Name of Tom Bombadil’s pony, “Fatty Lumpkin”.

I just received a 72 hour ban because someone posted a photo of a disgusting toilet and asked “What would you do if you found this?”.  My comment was “Nuke the site from orbit, it’s the only way to be sure.”  Referencing Riply from Aliens.

I’ve appealed this one.  Anyone else get any random Facebook bans because its algorithm can’t parse context or sarcasm?

Scot, sarcasm and satire are never understood by those at whom it is aimed.

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I've never had a Facebook ban and I'm so rude and obnoxious on there. 

I don't engage people on FB much anymore because those I want to talk to I can just text or call, but when I do I've said some wildly offensive shit to people and never once been banned.

23 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I don't engage people on FB much anymore because those I want to talk to I can just text or call, but when I do I've said some wildly offensive shit to people and never once been banned.

They have to complain. Unless it’s about something they have rigged as an automatic ban. I posted a picture of the infamous fly-on-a-Pence event with a comment about it being a sign of Satan (or something, I can’t remember) and someone commented, oh ffs, hasn’t a fly ever landed on you? And I said, it’s not me, it’s the crazy Christians. Bam! Within seconds!

7 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

They have to complain. Unless it’s about something they have rigged as an automatic ban. I posted a picture of the infamous fly-on-a-Pence event with a comment about it being a sign of Satan (or something, I can’t remember) and someone commented, oh ffs, hasn’t a fly ever landed on you? And I said, it’s not me, it’s the crazy Christians. Bam! Within seconds!

I somewhat recently told an ex-teammate from HS football who joined the group that he was lucky coach threw him off the team and got him expelled because half the team was ready to jump his ass at the time. The comments were for the most part far worse. Nothing happened to anyone other than the dude who quickly left the group. 

Scot just kicks it with snowflakes, I guess. :P

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Wow.  So, someone complained that I noted Tom Bombadil’s pony is called “Fatty Lumpkin”?

Good grief.

Archived