Weirdest Facebook bans

Ser Scot A Ellison

51 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Wow.  So, someone complained that I noted Tom Bombadil’s pony is called “Fatty Lumpkin”?

Good grief.

Did the ban come fast? In your situation I suspect there may have been an algorithm tied to the word ‘fatty’ as an insult. Because a reading of the post would show it made no sense! Did you appeal?

31 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Did the ban come fast? In your situation I suspect there may have been an algorithm tied to the word ‘fatty’ as an insult. Because a reading of the post would show it made no sense! Did you appeal?

They didn’t let me appeal that one.

I went into Facebook in the late 2000s to keep in touch with people from some international message board. Since 90% of them only knew me under my forum's nickname, it was only logical that I would use that name to register and contact them, since there's no way they would know who "Michael Doe" would be, but they would guess at once who "Richard the Third" actually was. Besides, there's no fucking way I'd use my real name there, it's internet FFS, you have to be mental to widely use your actual name to communicate with other people, specially in open or semi-open settings, way too risky for plenty of reasons (reasons which are even more obvious in 2021 than in 2008). I had a couple dozens of board mates as friends on FB, it grew for a time, and eventually I also added 2-3 real-life friends who had ventured there.

It worked well for 18 months. Then one fine day, my account was fully blocked. Some genius FB employee had a look and finally guessed that "Richard the Third" isn't a genuine name of a real person; guess I should've picked "Hitler Mussolini Pacheco". Bullshit arguments "Facebook needs real names so that other people who knew you can find you; your account is blocked for good and terminated unless you can show us ID with that name" - well, big brain, I'm using it to find other board members, several others relying on their forum nicknames as well, they don't know any other name.

So I said "fuck it" and decided to use a genuine-looking nickname, a fake one for sure, but one these fools had no way of guessing was actually fake. I figured none of the goons working for such a narrow-minded US-centred shit firm would have any knowledge of Fritz Lang movies, and created a new "Karl Michael Lohmann" account. Of course, it was just frustrating to have to tell all my acquaintances and friends either "Actually it's me Michael / Richard the Third" when adding them once again. Though it has worked for more than a decade.

Archived