US Politics: Maniac Manchin

A Horse Named Stranger

Old thread past the 20 page threshold. Yes, it's a pun on an old Commodore 64 game and our most beloved US Senator's name.

Should the DOJ look into Manchin's daughter, yes, but they should also look into McConnel's wife. IIRC there was some conflict of interest there.

But that's indepedent of either man's voting record.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Dafuq is a Commodore 64?

:P

An ancient computer from from days long gone, with mythical things like bipartisanship and stuff. Ask some of the elders, I think somebody like Scot might have had one at home, or a friends home, when he was young :leaving:

Shoggoth met today in NYC with NYC police and fire departments.  9/11, yano.  In case anyone wondered about his 2024 plans; I'm not going to give a link.  It can be googled all so easily.  See my rant about noose coverage and 9/11 etc. close to the end of the previous US politics thread.  This is exactly how he happened.

When asked if he was planning to run again for the Oval Office in 2024, Trump responded by saying it was “an easy question.”

“I know what I’m going to do,” he told police officers, adding, “I think you’re going to be happy.” 

Trump, who told Fox News’s Sean Hannity in July that he had made a decision on whether to run again, explained Saturday that he could not yet reveal his plans, citing restrictions from campaign finance laws. 

Videos and photos circulated on social media also showed Trump greeting a group of cheering firefighters at a New York City Fire Department station, with some gathering around the former president to pose for pictures. 

The visits, which were not previously announced to the public, come after Trump released a two-minute video Saturday marking the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks in which he blasted the Biden administration for its handling of the withdrawal from Afghanistan. 

27 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

@Tywin et al.

I want results, and if two corrupt shitbags like Joe Manchin & his daughter have to go through the ringer to get it to happen, why should I care?

I want results too. But what you're calling for could establish a dangerous precedent, and in the process if you got your wish the Senate would then be controlled by one Mitch McConnell as a Republican would happily fill Manchin's seat. 

Think that will lead to good results? 

If they don’t want to win stupid prizes, they should stop playing stupid games - and why shouldn’t an investigation be conducted anyway? THAT’S how I really want things to work, but then I get told that’s naive; so realpolitik it is - and if Manchin wants to hold up the spending that will help millions of Americans, then I don’t give a flying fuck if Biden steamrolls his ass - Manchin certainly deserves it.

I agree, and again, I've said this from the start, Manchin is wrong. But at the same time people had to know he wouldn't accept what was proposed. To then dig in and demand he accept it or else is not a wise way to get anything accomplished.

Results are what you want, right? 

Is Larry Elder a gift to Gavin Newsom?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/11/opinions/larry-elders-a-gift-to-gavin-newsom-recall-election-mitchell/index.html

Elder was precisely what Newsom needed to make the fear of Trumpism real in the eyes of California's substantial Democratic majority. Elder, a long-time conservative talk radio host, is well known among right-wing Californians, but many other voters have only gotten to know him in more recent weeks.

With Elder's ascent, Newsom and the Democrats supporting him could now put a name and a face to the danger of a recall, which requires a majority of votes to oust Newsom but only a plurality to elect a replacement. Elder's extreme positions made this easy for Newsom. Elder for example, has said, "The ideal minimum wage is $0.00." He once called climate change "a crock," argued slave owners should receive reparations and opposed mandating masks or vaccines during the Covid-19 pandemic. He has also written women "know less than men" about the issues voters face and said they "exaggerate the problem of sexism."

Faced with the choice between Newsom and Elder, engagement among Democrats -- likely driven more by a fear of Elder than excitement over Newsom -- began to grow.

Some might say the emergence of Elder was a lucky break for Newsom, which allowed him to inject some life into an otherwise moribund campaign. Of course, anything can happen on Election Day. But given the strength of the Democratic Party in California, Newsom has always had a pretty decent chance of beating the recall.

45 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

@Tywin et al.

I want results, and if two corrupt shitbags like Joe Manchin & his daughter have to go through the ringer to get it to happen, why should I care?

If they don’t want to win stupid prizes, they should stop playing stupid games - and why shouldn’t an investigation be conducted anyway? THAT’S how I really want things to work, but then I get told that’s naive; so realpolitik it is - and if Manchin wants to hold up the spending that will help millions of Americans, then I don’t give a flying fuck if Biden steamrolls his ass - Manchin certainly deserves it.

If Manchin goes, he resigns due to scandal or is expelled due to scandal, you realize the Democratic Party, in all likelihood, loses control of the US Senate, don’t you?

10 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

At this point, I’m not really sure it matters all that much. People like Manchin and Sinema are killing the Democratic Party, but they’re never afforded any of the blame, so no one ever asks if Democrats should maybe quit playing the same tired old playbook that doesn’t work.

I do hear what you are saying.  However, would we be better off with McConnell in charge of the Senate calendar again?

38 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

From the perspective of many of the activists I’ve been working with the past year, Manchin & McConnell control the gavel right now, so it doesn’t seem to make that much of a difference to them.

I’m starting to see why.

If we lose a Supreme Court Justice is having McConnell and the Republicans in charge of the Senate a more significant negative than the current situation?

1 hour ago, The Great Unwashed said:

What about the precedent that Manchin is setting? Why are progressives the only ones ever getting called out for setting dangerous precedents?

I'm pretty sure everyone is calling out Manchin for his B.S. Just this morning he said he's a firm no on the $3.5T reconciliation bill. To be clear, he shouldn't be doing this, but he is and thus you have to play ball with him. It sucks, but it is what it is.

Yes, I want results. More of the same bullshit where literally the most important stuff that helps the most people gets cut isn’t getting results. Progressives should tank both deals and force moderates to bargain fairly.

Tanking both deals literally means people don't get what they need.

I do not get progressives who claim they want to achieve things, but then are willing to kill a good deal because it's not perfect. Especially when killing it means there's likely no deal with a side of giving power to Republicans.

14 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

If Manchin goes, he resigns due to scandal or is expelled due to scandal, you realize the Democratic Party, in all likelihood, loses control of the US Senate, don’t you?

I mean, I understand the Dems hold the senate right now, but with people like Manchin and Sinema, what's really getting done? They've blocked Biden's agenda. Anything Biden might do to help move his policies forward, to help people vote without restrictions, etc., will always be blocked by these two. I understand there is the issue of the courts if McConnell were to get the Senate back, but there's a strong likelihood this happens next year anyway, and unless Biden were to expand the courts now, pack them, and make sure McConnell couldn't use Bryer's pending empty seat for another partisan judge--then it really doesn't matter. Biden, even if he wanted to do this, can't do it because of obstruction in his own party.

All we're doing right now is holding on for another year when it's likely the Dems lose control of at least the house, if not the senate. 

I'm not saying I have an answer to all this, but to do nothing because we hold the senate right now seems to be just sticking your finger into a dam that's breaking with no plans to stop the dam from breaking.

19 hours ago, DMC said:

I think Biden should threaten send Jack Bauer to deal with Heather Bresch if Manchin doesn't comply.

Read the post in its entirety. I explicitly said, that those investigation should be indepedent on the person's voting record. That Manchin is a dickhead just makes it a bit more sweeter.

4 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

First, you deliberately seem to be ignoring the part where I say progressives should tank the deals as part of a legislative strategy to force moderates back to the bargaining table, and forcing them to stay honest.

Moderates are the ones on the chopping block next year, anyway, is what seems to be the consensus, so moderates should be the ones most concerned with making a deal. 

The whole thing has been predicted for months on a two-track solution. Progressives held up their end of the bargain; if moderates can’t be arsed to do the same, why should progressives work with them at all?

Second, I don’t get anyone who says: “Okay so this strategy we’ve been employing for 40 years has barely worked, and the only times it has are when Republicans have fucked things up so badly when they were in power people finally got fed up for a very short amount of time, so let’s keep doing the exact same thing that hasn’t been working, but do it harder.”

It’s insanity.

Losing control of the Senate helps… how?

28 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Why don’t you instead explain to me how Manchin’s actions are supposed to help Democrats retain the Senate? Being a progressive in the Democratic Party is like being in an abusive relationship - your partner fucks everything up, and then gaslights all of your friends so they’re asking you to explain why you haven’t fixed things yet.

By being a member of the Democratic Party.  It give Democrats a majority in the Senate.  It denies McConnell the ability to stall legislation and to deny Biden the ability to have anyone he nominates to the SCOTUS a confirmation vote.

Is Manchin a pain in the ass, yes, is it better to have control of the Senate than not via that pain in the ass, yes.  The solution to the problem is to win another Senate seat and hold the existing Senate seats.  They, guess what, you realy can put some leverage on Manchin.  Until that happens he has way more power than he should.

53 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

First, you deliberately seem to be ignoring the part where I say progressives should tank the deals as part of a legislative strategy to force moderates back to the bargaining table, and forcing them to stay honest.

And that's going to happen exactly how? It's magical thinking dude.

Moderates are the ones on the chopping block next year, anyway, is what seems to be the consensus, so moderates should be the ones most concerned with making a deal. 

Yeah, about this, it's equally fucked up that loud far left progressives in safe seats want people in toss up races to act......like they're also safe. 

The whole thing has been predicted for months on a two-track solution. Progressives held up their end of the bargain; if moderates can’t be arsed to do the same, why should progressives work with them at all?

Because again, they don't face any consequences for their actions if they tank things. In fact, they're encouraged to tank things because of that reason, assuming results don't matter and this is all poustering, which it very clearly is.

Second, I don’t get anyone who says: “Okay so this strategy we’ve been employing for 40 years has barely worked, and the only times it has are when Republicans have fucked things up so badly when they were in power people finally got fed up for a very short amount of time, so let’s keep doing the exact same thing that hasn’t been working, but do it harder.”

There's no evidence for this. Progressives have made a number of gains over that timeframe. But the problem is too many people feel like not getting everything they want means they really didn't get anything at all. Grow up and enjoy the small victories. That's what politics is all about. 

It’s insanity.

No, insanity is pursuing an obviously losing strategy just so you can claim you didn't compromise. Do you want Democrats to sound like Republicans? 

42 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

So…let me get this straight. Manchin gets to keep making more and more unreasonable demands, and we keep going further right, and this isn’t exactly the same strategy Republicans have been pulling on Democrats…how, again?

You would maybe have a point if you’re negotiating with people you can trust. How can progressives trust Manchin? Progressives have already negotiated their beginning offers down considerably. A deal was struck and now Manchin is reneging on the deal.

And everyone keeps saying that, “Manchin’s the problem, just elect more Democrats”, but do the people saying that expect progressives to forget all those articles that get trotted out by those same people saying how Manchin is the top of the iceberg for moderate Democrat Senate policy?

It’s just a big, long con to ensure nothing ever changes so the right people keep getting rich and apparently everyone is going to keep playing Charlie Brown to their Lucy forever.

Until another seat is taken by a Democrat in the US Senate without any lost seats for the Democratic Party… what is the alternative?  How do you push Manchin to toe a progressive line without that leverage?

Archived