US Politics: Maniac Manchin

A Horse Named Stranger

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Disregarding the fact "Wednesday morning voters" is a complete and utter falsehood, Buttigieg and Klobuchar dropped out AFTER the South Carolina primary, not before.  If you're going to propagate ludicrously stupid conspiracy theories, at least get the timing right.

Please note he is not an ignorant man.

He simply makes outlandish statements and sits back comfortably as his opposition treats him as some authority that must convinced.

A shocking result. I guess Senator Feinstein does not need to retire now?

Newsom beats California recall
The governor will remain in office after crushing a conservative-driven effort in the blue state.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/09/14/california-recall-election-newsom-511858

OAKLAND — Gov. Gavin Newsom will remain California’s governor after voters decisively rejected an effort to recall him in Tuesday's election.

The conservative-driven effort to topple Newsom always faced long odds in a state where Democrats outnumber Republicans by some five million voters and Newsom cruised to a 24-point landslide in 2018. Democrats relied on a drumbeat of catastrophic warnings about a conservative Republican governor to motivate their base after fearing that lackluster turnout could cost them the election.

With 8.1 million votes counted, Newsom was crushing the recall by a 2-to-1 margin, according to results updated at 9:10 p.m. Pacific Time. That difference is expected to tighten as Election Day votes come in, but Republican ballots aren't expected to come close to bridging the gap.

"I'm humbled and I'm grateful to the millions and millions of Californians that exercised their fundamental right to vote and express themselves so overwhelmingly by rejecting the division, by rejecting the cynicism," Newsom said Tuesday night in a 5-minute victory speech in Sacramento. "By rejecting so much of the negativity that's defined our politics in this country over the course of so many years."

The governor will now enter the final year of his first term in a position of strength. He is expected to stand for reelection in 2022, and Republicans’ failure to oust him in an off-year special election fueled by conservative grievances suggests they face a steep fight to defeat Newsom next year.

58 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

It's possible that a guy running for President on his third or fourth try who finally wins his first primary after almost every other opponent drops out in Carolina prior to voting, gets the highest number of votes for President in history.  But hey, millions of Wednesday morning voters in exactly the close states controlled by Democrat Secretaries of State needed can't be wrong. 

Also, it's possible that the Sultan of Brunei will name me his sole heir and beneficiary.

Gavin will win convincingly.  Sure a majority of voters wanted him out to force the recall election.  But an even larger majority is going to vote that he should stay.  Trust the process.

You should personally stop voting if you don’t like the outcomes - if you don’t trust the process, your time could be better used elsewhere. Like drinking and watching sports - or are those highly-scrutinized spectacles rigged too?  Maybe everything you don’t like should just be met with “fake news” and whataboutism - it’s probably just best to sit back and moan about masks and refuse any information provided by anyone.

4 hours ago, mcbigski said:

Sure a majority of voters wanted him out to force the recall election. 

The recall election was predicated on a collection of signatures, not a majority vote. For the executive position, only 12% of the total votes for that office need to be collected as signatures. The 1.7 million valid signatures was not event remotely a majority of registered voters in California (there are 22 million as of October last year). 

You may be mixing up polling that shows Californians like the option of recalling officials by a strong majority, which is true, but that's not the same as saying a majority of Californians supported recalling Newsom. Other than a brief point in early August where the poll aggregates narrowed on the question, Newsom was always comfortably supported by a majority.

ETA: I think decoupling from social media, cable news, political podcasts and talk radio for a couple of months and sticking solely to something like the Christian Science Monitor -- a highly ethical nonpartisan journalism outlet that has good in-depth coverage of a lot of issues -- would be really useful to a lot of people in our present moment. For example, their coverage when the recall effort gained enough signatures.

7 hours ago, mcbigski said:

It's possible that a guy running for President on his third or fourth try who finally wins his first primary after almost every other opponent drops out in Carolina prior to voting, gets the highest number of votes for President in history.  But hey, millions of Wednesday morning voters in exactly the close states controlled by Democrat Secretaries of State needed can't be wrong. 

Also, it's possible that the Sultan of Brunei will name me his sole heir and beneficiary.

Gavin will win convincingly.  Sure a majority of voters wanted him out to force the recall election.  But an even larger majority is going to vote that he should stay.  Trust the process.

60 courts in 7 states (at least 6 of which were presided over by Judges appointed by Trump) reviewed the evidence the Trump Campaign presented and found no reason to grant the relief they requested.

Please note that the Trump Campaign never actually alleged “electoral fraud” in any of the cases it filed.  

The US Supreme Court rejected cases brought by Trump or his allies twice; none of the Justices appointed by Trump voted in favor of hearing these cases either time.  The former (Trump appointed) Attorney General William Barr said there is no evidence of widespread electoral fraud.  The Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said on 12/14/2020 this was over.  

Trump lost.

Man California is slow counting votes.  Wake up this morning and they're still only at 70% of the expected vote.

Alexander Vindman - Ukranian-born NSC staffer that Trump viciously attacked for testifying against him during his first impeachment - has called on Mark Milley to resign due to the revelations reported in the new Woodward/Costa book (mentioned upthread):

"If this is true GEN Milley must resign. He usurped civilian authority, broke Chain of Command, and violated the sacrosanct principle of civilian control over the military," Vindman tweeted on Tuesday. "It’s an extremely dangerous precedent. You can’t simply walk away from that." [...]

Others have called for Milley's resignation, including Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), who suggested on Fox News Tuesday night the general was involved in "the essence of a military coup." 

The Woodward stuff is being wildly blown out of proportion, I suspect. The breathless reporting makes it sound like he went rogue and took it upon himself to make this call, but as Jennifer Grififin reports, there was a State Department rep on hand for all communications, plus a bunch of other staff, and full transcripts and so on that were properly shared out to the intelligence community and so on.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JenGriffinFNC/status/1437994304849514498

9 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

If you were a Seattle sports fan, you would assume this at all times. I mean I witnessed the Utah Jazz fans throwing fing ice at the noble and heroic Supersonics, huge bricks of the stuff. And the refs refused to see it.

Still better than having bags of piss thrown at you at Estadio Azteca. 

11 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

And I am an irrational pessimist who assumes the worst case scenario must be the most likely one.

Well, at least you have good self-insight. :)

P.S. Sorry I didn't see DMC had said the same thing before I posted this. This thread just moves too quickly for me. :)

10 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

A shocking result. I guess Senator Feinstein does not need to retire now?

Newsom beats California recall
The governor will remain in office after crushing a conservative-driven effort in the blue state.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/09/14/california-recall-election-newsom-511858

I think she likely should. These conversations have been happening behind the scenes since long before the recall. Now, it's about her health and ability to perform as opposed to the ocllective fear that Republicans can be put in a position to take advantage of this. Ever since the climate debacle with the kids, I've thought her understanding of the moment in which we live had passed her by. I don't care if she's a 100 or if she's 50--people like her can't be in power anymore when we are on a 9 to 10 year countdown.

21 minutes ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

I think she likely should. These conversations have been happening behind the scenes since long before the recall. Now, it's about her health and ability to perform as opposed to the ocllective fear that Republicans can be put in a position to take advantage of this. Ever since the climate debacle with the kids, I've thought her understanding of the moment in which we live had passed her by. I don't care if she's a 100 or if she's 50--people like her can't be in power anymore when we are on a 9 to 10 year countdown.

“People like her”?

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What do you mean when you say “people like her”?  People from California, older people, women with brown hair?  

I thought it was pretty clear from the context of my post that it doesn't matter if someone is 50 or 100 (so age is not the point), that it is people who are not seeing climate change as a problem that needs drastic action now. Where you came up with the rest of your list is beyond me.

Personally I'd rather see Feinstein serve out her term so the voters can choose her replacement rather than Gavin Newsom.  She is very unlikely to be the pivotal vote on, well, much of anything, and she has been removed from any leadership positions committee-wise, so it's hard to see what damage she's actually going to do.

Archived