US Politics: Maniac Manchin

A Horse Named Stranger

4 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I'll just leave it at I think the degree to which his political enemies think Trump is insane is greater than his actual mental deficiency. I may be wrong and, inshallah, we will never be in a position to find out who is right.

We have long ago found out that you are wrong.

BTW, DMC, don't know if you saw this or not, but it may be of interest, whether you agree with analyst or not.

No paywall for a single article, I think.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/09/why-a-troubled-polling-industry-whiffed-on-california-recall.html

34 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Yes, this is the UK's shortages of supply and labor being described, but the causes and conditions are pretty much the same across the board here in the US too. We need to think about this in connection with current shortages in the supply chains, well into into the future.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/sep/17/empty-shelves-covid-brexit-britain-lorry-drivers

Telling graphs:

Nothing ever changes either, unless truly forced.  Because the jerkwaddies in charge of employment always think the only solution to employment problems is forcing the employees into ever more miserable conditions, coercion and disrespect, and ever less compensation.  I.e. only slavery will do!

Good observations.

Also a few weeks ago there was a report out over flawed algorithms that many major employers were incorrectly relying on to screen applicants. The result, millions and millions of employee applicants needlessly passed over and deemed unqualified.

The myth that there is an employee shortage is really just an ignorant cover for management's lack of creativity in finding workers, not to mention cover for atrocious pay and work conditions unfit for a civilized society.

Workers will generally gravitate towards their best opportunities, businesses need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and compete for them, no-one ever guaranteed them a employee.

27 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

businesses need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and compete for them, no-one ever guaranteed them a employee.

My dear, my dear, you have it backwards. The right way round is that nobody's entitled to or guaranteed a job!  (Unless white, male and well-connected, yanno.) That's why we can station our own armed goons at every train depot and station to keep Our Folks from leaving our sharecropped cotton fields and go North to work in a factory!

The level of stupidity is off the charts here:

The legal architect of the Texas abortion ban has argued in a supreme court brief that overturning Roe v Wade, the landmark decision which guarantees a right to abortion in the US, could cause women to practice abstinence from sexual intercourse as a way to “control their reproductive lives”.

Former Texas solicitor general Jonathan Mitchell, who played a pivotal role in designing the legal framework of the state’s near-total abortion ban, also argued on behalf of anti-abortion group Texas Right to Life that women would still be able to terminate pregnancies if Roe was overturned by traveling to “wealthy pro-abortion” states like California and New York with the help of “taxpayer subsidies”.

“Women can ‘control their reproductive lives’ without access to abortion; they can do so by refraining from sexual intercourse,” Mitchell wrote in the brief. “One can imagine a scenario in which a woman has chosen to engage in unprotected (or insufficiently protected) sexual intercourse on the assumption that an abortion will be available to her later. But when this court announces the overruling of Roe, that individual can simply change their behavior in response to the court’s decision if she no longer wants to take the risk of an unwanted pregnancy.”

And it gets even better:

In the same brief, which calls for Roe to be overturned, Mitchell and co-counsel Adam Mortara, an anti-abortion activist and lawyer who clerked for the supreme court justice Clarence Thomas, said such a decision could open the door for other “lawless” rights and protections to be reversed, including the right to have gay sex and the right to same-sex marriage.

The lawyers argued that while it was not necessary for the high court to immediately overrule the legal cases that enshrine those rights, “neither should the court hesitate to write an opinion that leaves those decisions hanging by a thread”.

Those cases (Lawrence, which outlawed criminal sanctions against people who engaged in gay sex, and Obergefell, which legalized same-sex marriage) were “far less hazardous to human life”, they said, but just “as lawless as Roe”.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/sep/17/texas-abortion-ban-jonathan-mitchell-supreme-court-brief

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

BTW, DMC, don't know if you saw this or not, but it may be of interest, whether you agree with analyst or not.

No paywall for a single article, I think.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/09/why-a-troubled-polling-industry-whiffed-on-california-recall.html

Thanks.  I do agree, btw - as I've mentioned before, getting a handle on the composition of the electorate of such a rare contest is inherently difficult.

France is outside the norm of the EU for having any Pacific territories to speak of. I can kind of understand their annoyance, but the reality is that their involvement in the EU would greatly complicate any defense pact that included France precisely because it would potentially entail questions of EU involvement if hostilities took place. Especially as this Anglosphere pact has a distinctly different view of China than the general EU body does.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

The level of stupidity is off the charts here:

And it gets even better:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/sep/17/texas-abortion-ban-jonathan-mitchell-supreme-court-brief

You'd think the barbaric anti-abortion crowd, logically, should be advocating, hard-as-rocks, for same sex marriage.  

18 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

You'd think the barbaric anti-abortion crowd, logically, should be advocating, hard-as-rocks, for same sex marriage.  

Logic has never been their strongest suit.

4 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Logic has never been their strongest suit.

But ignorance of reproduction and the female body is!  This jerkwaddie is saying that only unmarried women have unwanted pregnancy.  Also then, that rape doesn't produce pregnancy -- unless she wants it.  Or something additionally equally ignorant and -- well -- WRONG!

Liberals get ready to grab wheel of Dem agenda
The Congressional Progressive Caucus' chief says more than half her 96-member group is willing to block the Senate-passed infrastructure bill later this month without a separate party-line measure.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/09/17/liberals-progressives-democrat-agenda-512621

Progressives have waited months for their turn to exert control over the Democratic agenda. Now it's here, and liberal leaders are weighing just how far to go.

Speaker Nancy Pelosi's left flank is quietly mulling whether to mobilize its roughly 100-member bloc to tank the centrist-crafted Senate infrastructure bill when it reaches the House floor within a week — unless they're assured that a mammoth Democrats-only social spending bill will also make it to President Joe Biden’s desk.

Progressive leaders see the coming House infrastructure vote as perhaps their most influential moment so far in Biden’s Washington. They were largely sidelined when Pelosi negotiated her way out of a standoff with centrist Democrats last month, and many are eager to demonstrate that the power of an emboldened left can match that of moderates who've repeatedly flexed on leadership over the multitrillion-dollar party-line spending plan.

“Even if there were Republicans that come along" to help the Senate infrastructure bill pass the House this month, said Congressional Progressive Caucus Chair Pramila Jayapal (D-Wash.), "we will have more individuals, more Democrats who are going to vote it down without the reconciliation bill."

Jayapal said more than half of her 96-member caucus has privately indicated they’re willing to block the bipartisan Senate bill without their party-line bill in tow — far more than the roughly two dozen liberals who have gone public with their threat.

“I feel very confident in our numbers, and it is far beyond 20,” the Washington Democrat said.

49 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

The Congressional Progressive Caucus' chief says more than half her 96-member group is willing to block the Senate-passed infrastructure bill later this month without a separate party-line measure.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/09/17/liberals-progressives-democrat-agenda-512621

Likelihood of this ending well continues to dwindle.... 

2 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

I'm starting to think people like Manchin never really cared about this bipartisan bill either. They're happy to let it tank. It was all theater to distract from where their money comes from.

I think the progressives are smart to tank the bipartisan bill. After November, when all these "wise moderates" like Manchin claimed progressives were bad, we're seeing more than ever that it's that these moderates seek to build capital by taking money from corporations and shit on most people in this country. Of course, I thought this was obvious 6 years ago, so, who knows, maybe the moderates will win more than ever.

5 minutes ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

True--the fact that the infrastructure bill is unlikely to pass is bad for the vast majority of Americans.

The likelihood of both bills failing is bad for basically every American and terrible for party politics. Like I said from the jump, they should have never separated the two bills, but Biden and the moderates had to have their vanity project. Sigh, hopefully both sides can compromise and avoid this looming disaster. 

I don't think it's any surprise a sitdown in the Oval Office didn't change Manchin's position - nor that he leaked it, again, to Axios.  This isn't West Wing where the power of a good argument miraculously changes minds.  Like most legislative battles over the past decade or so, it's a game of chicken.

9 minutes ago, DMC said:

I don't think it's any surprise a sitdown in the Oval Office didn't change Manchin's position - nor that he leaked it, again, to Axios.  This isn't West Wing where the power of a good argument miraculously changes minds.  Like most legislative battles over the past decade or so, it's a game of chicken.

Truly hope you're right because if it comes down to chicken, Manchin backs down (imo).

Archived