US Politics: Maniac Manchin

A Horse Named Stranger

Okay....

Regarding the reconciliation bill - any realistic chance that if a big enough slab of pork were waved in front of them, that a Republican Senator or three might possibly vote for this?  Talking serious pork, not trivial stuff.

1 minute ago, ThinkerX said:

Okay....

Regarding the reconciliation bill - any realistic chance that if a big enough slab of pork were waved in front of them, that a Republican Senator or three might possibly vote for this?  Talking serious pork, not trivial stuff.

I doubt it. I think that Republicans are less concerned with constituent services than they are with being Righter Than Thou. If Donald Trump should make a fuss about a defector, not all the pork in the universe will blunt the Trumpanzees' hatred.

1 minute ago, ThinkerX said:

The problem with taking it to a Collins or Murkowski isn't that they'd balk at just about the same spending Manchin is purportedly insisting on - they probably would be all for that.  The problem is they can't support virtually any of the tax hikes on the wealthy that pay for it.

2 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Okay....

Realistically, there is kind of absurd amounts of pork in this deal. Especially for some of the Republican states - the amount of money going to changing to clean energy should be able to absolutely transform a number of states' economies for a generation or more. 

That doesn't matter any more, because a senator's getting re-elected has very little to do with their state's success in getting money or their being able to do so. It is a nationalized, partisan race. That's not perfect, mind you - see Joe Manchin - but the days of a senator doing awesome by a state and getting re-elected over and over because of that are gone. 

5 minutes ago, Kaligator said:

That doesn't matter any more, because a senator's getting re-elected has very little to do with their state's success in getting money or their being able to do so. It is a nationalized, partisan race. That's not perfect, mind you - see Joe Manchin - but the days of a senator doing awesome by a state and getting re-elected over and over because of that are gone. 

Pretty much, yeah.  Mayhew called it "credit claiming" as one of the three prongs of reelection.  Now it's just the other two - position taking and advertising.  That's not to say distributive politics is completely irrelevant or there isn't still pork, but you can't expect to just buy a key vote like that anymore.

1 minute ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

But it's the third day! If this doesn't harken every third day then something something dark side or whatever...

Thank you!  I was beginning to consider this back-and-forth the template of an epistolary for our times, but Karl wants to them to take it to DMs.  Hey Karl, wanna buy me a Hulu subscription?

9 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

We can't even do bribery right anymore.  :(

I'm not sure the old pork system could solve some of today's issues. "Bringing home the bacon" doesn't get you reelected anymore these days. Everything seems to be about creating a fight now, real or imaged.

22 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I don’t think that was a Family Guy Joke. Just a regular Star Wars Joke. Correct me if I’m wrong @Jaxom 1974

Poor Family Guy. Adult Swim will miss you. 

Blue Harvest was the New Hope parody

Something Something Dark Side was the Empire parody...it was born out of, I believe, a Robot Chicken joke...

On Booker's power of persuasion, it's pretty clear Scott played him hard. He's still saying it was a good faith negotiation despite admitting Scott never really agreed with him on anything and while Booker is taking the highroad, Scott is saying Booker just wanted to defund the police despite that not being in the deal at all.

Democrats need to learn Republicans are not here to act in good faith anymore. Just see McConnell saying we have to raise the debt ceiling, but Republicans are going to vote to do so.... 

Archived