Tennis the 9th: Medical times out and teenage superstars

Which Tyler

https://www.itftennis.com/media/2495/grand-slam-rulebook-2020-f.pdf

3(f) of the rule book meant Umpire had to stop play because it was a blood injury (it's a health hazard).

Equally, when the blood couldn't be staunched during "diagnosis" a medical time-out had to be called - no choice in that matter either.

The time out lasts 3 minutes. Whether treatment takes 10 seconds or 10 minutes, the time-out is 180 seconds. I don't think they're technically allowed to treat without calling a time-out either (except during change of ends etc).

As I said in the last thread, I don’t follow tennis at all. I saw the story about two Canadians in the semi-finals but when @Tywin et al. linked me in the other thread I was very surprised. Especially when I turned on the tv and saw a Brit and a Canadian were playing.

Werthead posted congratulations on Facebook and I started off by saying I was disappointed, but when I looked her up and saw she was born in Toronto I had to laugh. I honestly didn’t realize she was the other Canadian. I did notice that none of the British stories that I saw mentioned the fact that Raducanu is a dual citizen, nor that it was the first time two Canadians (technically!) ever made it to the US Open finals.

Well, she was playing for GB after all, and frankly speaking, I don’t care where an athlete was born, where they were raised and trained is more important. I always find it weird when an athlete plays under a flag of convenience at the Olympics or a world championship, and even golf these days. But still, two Canadians in the finals!

But, I’m still disappointed that Raducanu won. Great job and all, but I am disappoint!

What a match! I knew Daniil was gonna win it in three or loose it in five. 

Djoker played poorly, he made loads of unforced errors, bu he still could come back. 

I wonder if it's the end of The Big Three. 

It would be great if it stayed 20 slams each forever. 

The Big 3 has been done and dusted for a while now, with Federer doing just enough to keep earning that sponsorships money and Nadal being very careful about picking and choosing his tournaments to try and prolong his career as much as possible, but Djokovic won 3 GS titles this year and lost in the final of the fourth. As much as I'd like to see younger players take over and build their own legacy, I don't think it's fair to dismiss Djokovic jut yet. Sure, he's feeling his age or will start to soon enough but younger players still need to step up their game, at least when it comes to consistency, if they want to take over.

I don't like guessing who'll win how many GS before the end of their career, just because 10-15 years ago everyone thought Sampras' count of 14 will never be equaled. What would be great is if Djokovic and Nadal (I think Federer is finished at that level, unfortunately) could give us a year or two more of their rivalry at the top level and I for one would enjoy watching their matches very much, regardless of who gets to win in the end.

Let me rephrase: I wonder if it's the end of the last of The Big Three. 

Of course, baxus is right it seems ridiculous to write off a player who has just won three slams and almost won a fourth in the same year only because he has lost a single match. As a matter of fact he has just completed one of the best seasons of his entire career at 34. And yet everyone knows how much he cared to win a calendar grand slam, how important it was to him. He couldn't make it after all (even if barely) and I think it would be a real challenge to find similar motivation in him for the next season. At the same time, players like Medvedev, Zverev, Tsitsipas, Berrettini and few others are making a steady progress and I feel any of them is finally ready to challenge an old champ, who is not getting any younger. Also, what he really craved for, apart from the trophies, as he himself admitted, was the love of the crowd. He finally got that in NYC and has the right to feel fulfilled at last. If I had to guess, I would say he would probably make it to another slam or two, just to make sure he's ahead of the pack, perhaps even as soon as in Australia, but I don't see him dominating the sport like he was so far. Tennis is not about muscles after all, it's about the head.

5 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I think he has maybe one more at RG in him. I agree Joker never makes 25. 

I'd favor him in the next two RGs, and maybe he wins a random one like Feds did a couple times. Joker will be the favorite in the other three for the next two years, so he should pick up several more.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'd favor him in the next two RGs, and maybe he wins a random one like Feds did a couple times. Joker will be the favorite in the other three for the next two years, so he should pick up several more.

He should have picked up an Olympic gold and a US open but he didn't. I'd make him favourite for Aus again though. 

22 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

He should have picked up an Olympic gold and a US open but he didn't. I'd make him favourite for Aus again though. 

Eh, Joker doesn't have a big advantage at the Olympics, and yeah, he should have won yesterday, but the pressure got to him and Medvedev played great. I'd still favor him in every non-clay tournament next year simply because the field isn't that strong.

I think you underestimate the amount of confidence such a win can give Medvedev, as well as quite a few others, who were already able to beat Medvedev on a regular basis, so why not Djoker, if he could do it, and seemingly so easily at that? Not counting Paris 2020, this is the first straight sets loss Djoker suffered in a grand slam final since 2013 Wimbledon after all. And only his third straight sets final loss overall.

Archived