Tennis the 9th: Medical times out and teenage superstars

Which Tyler

I hope most people can see it all smells very badly, but on the other hand he is also quickly becoming a hero and a martyr for antivaxxers, partly because of the way it was all handled by Australian authorities. It would be so much better for everyone involved if was just never let into the country in the first place.

28 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Don't let the door hit you on your way out. You paranoid prick. 

And he gets to foot the bill for the government's court costs. I wonder if the three year ban will stick. 

Moral of the story, don't be an anti-vax shithead who also won't take the health of others into consideration.

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

And he gets to foot the bill for the government's court costs. I wonder if the three year ban will stick. 

Moral of the story, don't be an anti-vax shithead who also won't take the health of others into consideration.

Or if you are, don't try to get into countries that require vaccination, despite being publicly and avowedly anti-vaccination

26 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Currently I assume he would also be barred from the US open in NY, if Kylie can't play basketball, or are outdoor sports different?

5 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Currently I assume he would also be barred from the US open in NY, if Kylie can't play basketball, or are outdoor sports different?

Outdoor sports are treated differently, and interestingly there is a loophole that would have allowed Kyrie to play if the Nets paid a small fine each time. 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

The sport doesn't matter if he can't enter the country. And from what I have read you can't enter the US unvaccinated.

OK, if you can prove that you have recently recovered you may enter without vaccination, so he could try that trick again. The question is if the US would accept his "proof." 

10 hours ago, Loge said:

The sport doesn't matter if he can't enter the country. And from what I have read you can't enter the US unvaccinated.

OK, if you can prove that you have recently recovered you may enter without vaccination, so he could try that trick again. The question is if the US would accept his "proof." 

Has that changed recently? I know quite a few unvaccinated people who went to the US in December for a competition. Had to get an exemption but were allowed in.

5 hours ago, lessthanluke said:

Has that changed recently? I know quite a few unvaccinated people who went to the US in December for a competition. Had to get an exemption but were allowed in.

Well, if they needed an exemption there must have been some regulation already. Info on the CDC's web site suggests that exceptions are rather limited. I don't know if that has changed recently but  it looks like the rules were tightened recently as the info was lasst updated on 21 December. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/proof-of-vaccination.html

“Atrociously” is a bit harsh. Certainly there was a lack of communication, in thought or in deed, between the various bodies involved. What should have happened is his visa being refused initially on the same public order grounds he was eventually deported under.

The court didn’t discuss whether he gamed the system for his own benefit, which seems very significant as to how people are viewing it, especially in a country that’s had stringent rules most people have fully complied with, and that’s the part that makes him the bad guy in this situation.

There is not a single party in this whole fiasco that covered themselves in glory.

Djokovic is an idiot for being so openly anti-vaccination and trying to find all the loopholes that would allow him to get in the country, but Australia has given him visa, then revoked it, then gave it back, then revoked it again. Sure, they are within their rights, but they could've just denied him a visa in the first place and avoided all the hassle. Plus, I got an impression that even if Djokovic won the second appeal, they would've tried to find another way to get him deported and would've just kept coming.

An extremely stupid situation which could've been easily avoided and no one needed to lose any face. Alas, everyone involved decided to take a different path.

Back to business at last. I wonder if Rafa will be able to benefit from Djokovic's absense and grab the 21st title. Doubt it though.

On the women's side, surprisingly fast defeat of Cori Gauff, but I don't see any player who could really stand against Ash Barty here anyway.

On 1/16/2022 at 10:10 AM, Tywin et al. said:

Outdoor sports are treated differently, and interestingly there is a loophole that would have allowed Kyrie to play if the Nets paid a small fine each time. 

Are you sure about that? Cause Ive been reading the Kyrie-Nets stuff for months and Ive never heard it brought up that the Nets could have evaded this drama by paying a small fine for him each time he plays.

Archived