Tennis the 9th: Medical times out and teenage superstars

Which Tyler

1 hour ago, Calibandar said:

Are you sure about that? Cause Ive been reading the Kyrie-Nets stuff for months and Ive never heard it brought up that the Nets could have evaded this drama by paying a small fine for him each time he plays.

NYC's enforcement mechanism is a $5,000 fine each time an unvaccinated person enters an indoor public space. In theory the Nets could just pay the fine each time he plays. Right now the NBA isn't allowing it, but a team could challenge them. 

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Raducanu match is weird. She won first set 6-0, lost second 6-2, now is steamrolling Stephens again in the 3rd 4-0. 

Apparently Sloane Stephens got married on New Years Day so I suspect she didn't have the ideal preparation to hit peak physical fitness for this tournament.

8 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Murray wins, good for him. He is a bit cantankerous but he seems like a decent human being.

And without his injuries he was clear world number one in his last proper season (when he pretty much won the Davis cup). 

Took him 5 full sets but then again Basilashvili is a very tough opponent. Its been interestnig watching Murray's comeback the last 6 months, he's played a great deal of matches and started to get better last year. He just got very tough draws all the time due to the ranking.

Comfortable wins for Zverev , Tsitsipas and Medvedev. Players to watch: Monfils. Korda. Sinner. Alcaraz.

Alcaraz looking superb so far, 18 years old.

Zverev also very good.

Medvedev just survived a tough match against Kyrgios.

Taylor fritz continues his run, easily dismissing Tiafoe in straight sets.

A player I really like to watch is American Maxime Cressy, he went to the final against Nadal last week and plays old style serve and volley. Its just so rare and its a joy to see him to do it, really. He's now through to round 3 as well.

30 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

How can a proffesional tennis player get blisters on their dominant hand? 

I agree it is kinda weird, though not entirely unheard of. Even Nadal had problems with blisters I remember. Anyway, favourites fall down like flies in the women's part of the draw. Muguruza, Kontaveit, Rybakina and Raducanu only today.

Yeah women's tennis has always been... either much more competitive or much less consistent depending on what spin you want to put on it, Williams dominance aside. Personally while I enjoyed watching Raducanu win the US Open last year I rolled my eyes at her instant ascent to megastardom and the trappings that come with it because of this stuff - there've been so many zero-to-hero and then back to... if not zero then certainly just "mixing it up in the majors but maybe not even making it consistently to the second week" stories in women's tennis that it always seemed absurd to pin so much on her so soon.

100M is probably way too excessive, but it isn't that unusual for companies to take a chance on potential. Venus Williams, as the movie King Richard showed, got her $12 million deal with Reebok before she won even a single Grand Slam.

I think its tough for Raducanu to be in the spotlight and have all these weights of expectation on her. Might also be a uniquely British problem since they have a tendency to do this to their (future) champions.

18 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I think its tough for Raducanu to be in the spotlight and have all these weights of expectation on her. Might also be a uniquely British problem since they have a tendency to do this to their (future) champions.

In fairness expectation in tennis is very much Wimbledon focused in the UK, everything else is a bit of an afterthought. I'm sure there's always going to be a reasonable amount of pressure to do well having won the US Open at such a young age but the sort of football equivalent unrelenting press attention doesn't really happen outside of Wimbledon.

Big clash between Berrettini and Alcaraz, someone had to win in a 5 set face off. I rooted for Alcaraz because he's more interesting to me and has a higher ceiling.

Monfils, Zverev and Medvedev continues to breeze through. Shapovalov once again the single most entertaining player to watch. I like Opelka too but was glad to see Shapo advance, but now he faces Zverev in round 4, thats gonna be a superb match. And the winner of that probably plays Nadal, so that means Zverev is having a much tougher schedule than Medvedev who's got a really easy draw.

Some big clashes due on the other side of the draw with Sinner vs De Minaur, Sinner just beat Taro Daniel who eliminated Murray in sraight sets ( remarkably). Tsitsipas vs Fritz looks like it will be very close to me.

Which players do you guys love watching the most in absence of Federer? For me its Shapovalov at 1, and then Zverev as well the last year, he's been on a tear and he is just playing such great tennis with hardly any weaknesses. Also in my top 5 would be Sinner, Alcaraz and Cressy.

Marin Cilic turning back the clock with a win over Rublev last night. He was his usual self slapping the ball around the court with authority - could be a dangerous sleeper in the draw. If they both get through their next matches, a matchup between Cilic/Medvedev would be interesting to see.

Shapovalov beats Zverev in 3, wow. These two have played some beautiful matches in the past. Zverev not having a great day today though and I had actually picked him to win this tournament.

Hopefully Shapovalov will beat Nadal.

Archived