Tennis the 9th: Medical times out and teenage superstars

Which Tyler

I was shocked when I heard this, but now that I think of it, Ash Barty was the tennis player most likely to make such a decision. She achieved almost everything the sport has to offer and probably feel fulfilled. She sounds genuine when she claims she has other challenges in her life now. I will miss her, she played unbelievably smart tennis. And I also feel Iga Świątek should have earned her #1 spot on court, not like this.

6 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

I was shocked when I heard this, but now that I think of it, Ash Barty was the tennis player most likely to make such a decision.

Definitely. She's a very down-to-earth personality, no fuss, and seems comfortable in herself and what she's achieved. And yet someone like Federer keeps on playing at 40. I admire both of them. Barty, for being able to get off the rat race gracefully and on her own terms. And Federer, for - despite being 40 years old, having four kids, not being No. 1 anymore and realistically not really having a chance at another Slam - still playing on because one can only assume that he loves the sport so much. Not many people could be such a dominant force, and then have essentially a second career after that as a second fiddle. It would be like Barack Obama becoming a Senator again and loving it.

I love it when athletes come out and say - this is a job, and I think now I need to change the job.

It could be hard for some of us to imagine giving up the game, the fame, the lifestyle etc. but it's good to see these examples of "it's not as great as you think it is" to remind us.

Regarding Federer, if he loves it so much to struggle with all the healing and rehab after injuries for so long, I'm glad for him and a little bit envious that I have never found anything I'd love so much.

17 hours ago, Jeor said:

Definitely. She's a very down-to-earth personality, no fuss, and seems comfortable in herself and what she's achieved. And yet someone like Federer keeps on playing at 40. I admire both of them. Barty, for being able to get off the rat race gracefully and on her own terms. And Federer, for - despite being 40 years old, having four kids, not being No. 1 anymore and realistically not really having a chance at another Slam - still playing on because one can only assume that he loves the sport so much. Not many people could be such a dominant force, and then have essentially a second career after that as a second fiddle. It would be like Barack Obama becoming a Senator again and loving it.

Well it remains to be seen what level Federer returns at right, its not said yet that he would play second fiddle and not compete anymore. I dont think he sees it that way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Indeed.

Alcaraz is currently demolishing Chatchanov so we have Zverev vs Alcaraz lined up as well, another cracker.

Sinner also through in the other half, and this is Tstitipas'  best surface.

Well, Zverev also took out Alcaraz. Feels like the champion is going to come from the top half of the draw (Nadal/Zverev).

Nadal's victory was quite amazing. While he was playing on clay (and now owns a ridiculous 110-3 record at Roland Garros, the fourth time he didn't win it being a walkover before the match was played), I don't think many people, myself included, gave him much of a chance against Djokovic. Especially after the almost 36 year-old Nadal's five-setter against Felix and the fact he was playing Djoker at his less-favoured nighttime.

But with Rafa, there must be something about the French Open clay that has magical reinvigorating qualities. No one in history has so single-handedly dominated a specific tournament for so long, and he's held it against all-comers.

Yeah, I guess it's Rafa all the way to the 14th title now, I don't believe Zverev has it in him to stop the king on his own turf, even if he played a really great match against Carlitos (who I admit I was pretty sure would win). Not to mention solid, but without a touch of genius Ruud or Cilic, who may live through the second youth now, but it will not be enough.

On the women's side the only remaining question seems to be if inspired Coco Gauff is already mature enough to stop the incredible run of Iga Świątek (just three years older), who would level Venus's 35 match winning streak from 2000 if she won here for the second time. Wouldn't be shocked if she were, though Iga's record at WTA finals is a stunning 8-1.

Nadal onto the Finals after Zverev injures his ankle in the second set (Nadal had won the first set).  Unfortunate for the match to end like that, hopefully the injury isn't serious. 

9 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Shelves a few more years to compete with Swiatek, who looks like she is going to own the next few years. 

Curious to see how she does at the next two slams. If she can take it home on all three surfaces, good luck to the field for a while.

ETA: She's also really likable on the mic. Hard not to root for her.

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Curious to see how she does at the next two slams. If she can take it home on all three surfaces, good luck to the field for a while.

Wimbledon will still be tricky I guess (though her coach promised she will be competitive there too, and even last year she made fourth round there), but she had already proved this year she can easily win on hard court, so I guess she will be a great favourite for at least three slams a year, for at least couple of years. And she's just 21, she's probably not even at her prime yet.

I just hope great success will not spoil her. She is a very bright, sensitive and compassionate young woman, I would love her to stay that way, and I'm not saying this only because I'm a Pole. I think tennis and sport in general needs more such characters as role models.

Archived