Tennis the 9th: Medical times out and teenage superstars

Which Tyler

I was pretty sure Rafa was gonna announce his retirement after winning RG, with all this talk about how he would prefer a new foot to winning in Paris again, but it seems I was spectacularly wrong once again. I wonder if the ease of winning the final contributed to it. 

Also, I'm very curious to see the starting list for Wimbledon, without ranking points. But points or no points, it's still a grand slam, right?

2 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

Also, I'm very curious to see the starting list for Wimbledon, without ranking points. But points or no points, it's still a grand slam, right?

I suspect it'll be a fairly normal lineup. For the big names, it's still a chance to shine on one of the biggest stages in world tennis and the fact it's in London doesn't hurt (I suspect if the Australian Open didn't have ranking points, there would be a few players who wouldn't mind skipping the long travel to get there).

The odd player will miss it - probably those that aren't great on grass - but most of the field will stay in, if it weakens too much I reckon that paradoxically encourages people to stay in. For the journeymen players, it's still a tournament with rich prizemoney, ranking points or not.

I'm hopeful they'll have a change of heart, as I've had. I'm still all for banning Russian national teams from various events, but it's unfair to target individual athletes, especially if they haven't expressed any pro-war sentiments. 

• 4 weeks later...

The Kyrgios show rolls on. I have a love/hate relationship with him as I find his antics really annoying, pouty and petulant and yet there's no doubting that he can also be smiling, generous and funny. He's certainly not bland, that's for sure. Sets up a possible all-Aussie quarterfinal with De Minaur.

Swiatek's shock loss opens up the top half of the draw, Halep has got to like her chances, though it could be Jabeur or Badosa's turn to make a breakthrough Grand Slam performance.

I am indifferent to Kyrgios, and some of the takes on him have been a bit much. Sometimes tennis journos and the powers-that-be can be a stuffy lot stuck in a bygone era.

However, I was surprised to learn he is facing charges for assaulting an ex back in Australia. One, that it didnt receive much attention and two, it would dramatically change my opinion of him if it turns out to be true.

I'm glued to the Djokovic - Sinner match right now. What initially looked like a quick and boring Djokovic walk to the semis turned in to an Incredible comeback from Sinner in the first set (accompanied by somewhat of a mental collapse by Djokovic it must be said) and has become quite the competitive match at this stage with Sinner looking extremely strong.

Archived