Tennis the 9th: Medical times out and teenage superstars

Which Tyler

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

JFC that can't be real, right?

It's real. I'm guessing you're like me and give zero shits about Hollywood gossip, but the stuff surrounding his new movie Don't Worry Darling is wild and he looks miserable in every picture he's in. The hair just makes it that much better.

7 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Why does US open finish so late? Why not just stop at 2200 and go home until tomorrow. Do the fans stay? 

It's in the city that never sleeps. That's part of the charm I guess.

The shirts the players have to wear because of Nike's sponsorship look so odd. 

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's real. I'm guessing you're like me and give zero shits about Hollywood gossip, but the stuff surrounding his new movie Don't Worry Darling is wild and he looks miserable in every picture he's in. The hair just makes it that much better.

If I'd been publicly spat on by Harry Styles I'd look miserable too.

Excited for the women's final. Undoubtly two best female players this season, and the only two who made two grand slam finals this year. I guess Jabeur might be a slight favourite on this surface, and with Iga struggling with her forehand the whole tournament. On the other hand, Iga never loses in the finals. After she lost her first WTA final in Lugano in 2019, all her other nine finals were victorious in straight sets, incluging two at Roland Garros. But if I had to bet, I'd give Ons 55% chance of winning tomorrow. Hope it will be a good match.

On 9/8/2022 at 8:53 AM, Tywin et al. said:

That was just incredible.

Almost half as incredible as I'm going to have to be in a meeting in eight hours. Fuck...

Watched some of that game back and it was an incredible game between Sinner and Alcaraz. Massive.

And then Alcaraz went to 5 sets against Tiafoe again, he's had a tough road to the final for sure.

Casper Ruud was really superb against Khachanov btw. He's playing so well. Its likely to be an incredible final tomorrow.

On 9/8/2022 at 1:14 AM, BigFatCoward said:

Why does US open finish so late? Why not just stop at 2200 and go home until tomorrow. Do the fans stay? 

The US Open switched to night sessions in the mid 70s, so people could watch the tennis after work. Part of the reason tennis gained in popularity back then. Wimbledon doesnt have play past 11 PM because of London council rules/laws, and I presume there is no corresponding barrier here.

As to whether people stay, some do; there is public transport available so late at night but it isnt ideal. Still, better than nothing (London does not have public transport between midnight and 5 AM from what I've read)

6 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

So it's ten consecutive finals in straight sets for Iga now. 

Also, "I'm glad it's not in cash", after presented a check for victory. :D

Iga is easily the best prospect since Osaka and frankly I think she's more talented and her personality suggests the pressure isn't going to get to her. Would not surprise me at all if she ROFLstomped the women's side for the next few seasons. Her game is so complete at such a young age.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Would not surprise me at all if she ROFLstomped the women's side for the next few seasons. Her game is so complete at such a young age.

Yeah, and she apparently acquired this rare ability to be able to win even when she struggles with her own game, when her best weapons don't work as they suppouse to. That's what distinguish champions I guess. 

Yes, Iga does look like the real deal. She has the lightness/brightness of personality to hopefully have some longevity in her career, there hasn't been much of that going around lately in the women's game (which makes Serena's achievements stand out more).

Just read a crazy stat that 71 of the last 72 Men's Grand Slam titles have been won by Europeans (counting Andy Murray at the time!). The one exception being an Argentinian, Del Potro's US Open win in 2009. The streak goes back to 2004 (Gaston Gaudio, another Argentinian, winning the French Open) and in 2003 there was Agassi and Roddick among the Slam winners.

Surprising that for the past 72 Slams the streak has been that strong. The US has historically had a good tradition of Slam champions (Connors, McEnroe, Courier, Sampras, Agassi) but it's been a bit of a dry spell since then. Australia, which had a big tennis-playing culture in the past (Laver, Rosewall, Emerson, Newcombe) that could usually break it up in recent years with a random winner or two (Cash, Rafter, Hewitt) is also in the wilderness, although Kyrgios came close.

Didn't get to see the match, but men's tennis has a new face and it's in good hands with Alcaraz, who could also be a dominate force for at least the next few seasons like Iga. Now we just need each of them to find a true rival. Fitting the season ends just as we hit 20 full pages.

Here's to 2023 being even better :cheers:

Archived