Tennis the 9th: Medical times out and teenage superstars

Which Tyler

Erm... the tennis season still has 2 months to run

Big tournaments still to come on the mens side are Basel, Vienna and Paris, not to mention the season-ending Finals in Turin.
The ladies still have their finals in Texas, and would have had the Kremlin Cup, had things gone differently away from sport.

On 9/11/2022 at 11:04 PM, Jeor said:

Just read a crazy stat that 71 of the last 72 Men's Grand Slam titles have been won by Europeans (counting Andy Murray at the time!). The one exception being an Argentinian, Del Potro's US Open win in 2009. The streak goes back to 2004 (Gaston Gaudio, another Argentinian, winning the French Open) and in 2003 there was Agassi and Roddick among the Slam winners.

Surprising that for the past 72 Slams the streak has been that strong. The US has historically had a good tradition of Slam champions (Connors, McEnroe, Courier, Sampras, Agassi) but it's been a bit of a dry spell since then. Australia, which had a big tennis-playing culture in the past (Laver, Rosewall, Emerson, Newcombe) that could usually break it up in recent years with a random winner or two (Cash, Rafter, Hewitt) is also in the wilderness, although Kyrgios came close.

The US does have a few nice players now, Fritz, Tommy Paul, Tiafoe. These 3 especially and Canadians Shapovalov and FAA are good top 25'ish players. So its not super unlikely that any of these reaches a final in the next 2 years IMO.

There are a lot of arguments as to who the greatest is, but I don't think anyone would argue he wasn't the most graceful and most entertaining to watch. 

My biggest tennis despair was when he couldn't convert those match points v Djokovic in his last SW19 final. 

Greatest of the greats in terms of sheer beauty of his game. I could watch him for hours. And it turned out HuHu has played the last match against him on Tour in last year's Wimbledon.

Everyone knew it had to happen, but it's a blow nonetheless.

Very, very sad. Didnt see this coming, the story since Wimbledon last year has been that he would return and clearly wanted to do 1 or 2 seasons to round off his career. Recovery seemed to be going well this Summer, him also posting encouraging videos. This comes totally out of the blue I have to say, massive disappointment.

Tickets for the Laver Cup this weekend going for 1500 pounds and more per session...

4 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

And now it seems it's not even certain he will be able to play there after all..

Honestly he could just go shake hands and take photos and people would be happy to pay that price (it's not like some poor family is spending their savings to go to this event). England queued up for >12 hours to walk by a corpse for 15 seconds, I'm sure they'd do the same for a living legend who actually did something special beyond being born.

I'd be massively bummed if I had shelled out for the tickets and he didnt't play, thats for fucking sure.

Ive bene reading about the tickets for the Lavercup a bit and apparently there was already outrage when they went up for pre-order in the Spring because even then they were wicked expensive. Obviously now you'd wish that you had paid 300 for a session but still, that would have been tough to swallow at the time as well.

Archived