The Wire rewatch (spoilers for all seasons)

IFR

One believes though that Simon will do a better job with this than he did with Show Me A Hero, that dreadful thing set in Queens with Winona Ryder.  This is one of the most boring things I tried to watch.  I don't know about the Deuce because no way in hell could I watch a series that revolves around the degradation of women, no matter that the message (so said?) was that (some) sex workers can be empowered through their sex work.

19 minutes ago, Zorral said:

One believes though that Simon will do a better job with this than he did with Show Me A Hero, that dreadful thing set in Queens with Winona Ryder.  This is one of the most boring things I tried to watch.  I don't know about the Deuce because no way in hell could I watch a series that revolves around the degradation of women, no matter that the message (so said?) was that (some) sex workers can be empowered through their sex work.

I do not think that was the message of The Deuce at all. Quite the opposite. It's a dark show. 

17 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I do not think that was the message of The Deuce at all. Quite the opposite. It's a dark show. 

I will believe you, as I said, I didn't watch it.  I tried to, and immediately I just couldn't.  Too much violence, corruption and sexual abuse all around as it is.  It's not as though I needed to watch tv to know this, or even know how it operates.  :crying:

• 2 weeks later...

As much flak as the fifth season understandably gets, the scene where the FBI does the profile of the serial killer and it's a spot on description of McNulty is amazing and one of the funniest scenes in the series.

"So, what do you think?"
"They're in the ballpark."  :lol:

On 9/15/2021 at 1:00 PM, sifth said:

. I think they introduce Bunny in season 2 as well, who aside from Lester and Bunk, is my favorite cop character; but sadly do nothing with him. Season 3 Bunny, now that guy is awesome.

Yes, we first see him when the young boy "catches a seeing eye" during the shoot out between crews. His introduction there sets up his entire s3 arc. Season 2 speaks another side of urban decay, and is brilliant, IMHO. 

On 9/14/2021 at 1:06 PM, BigFatCoward said:

S2 is my favourite, but I'm from an old shipbuilding town where every fucker lost their jobs and the drastic poverty that ensued makes it the most real for me

So much this for me as well, only in my situation it was from transitioning out of an old car building town to now a shipbuilding town as the second career.

Theres a culture that you almost need to experience to understand. The Wire was brilliant at bringing us to the projects or the dockside in a way that few who've been there would have believed they'd see portrayed on screen. What they accomplished was not an easy task, they made it real.

I had been meaning to post in this thread for some time as I had completed my first Wire rewatch a few months previous to the recent accidental o.d. of the amazingly talented M.K.Williams. I just wasn't sure what to add to all the posts.

Lester and the Bunk were always interesting. But the one that left a great impression on me after the rewatch was Bunny Colvin.

That whole series of interactions where he went from creating "hamsterdam" to meeting with Namonds dad Wee-Bey to getting pushed out as a fall guy and then finally in the end as mentor and magnanimous role model to Namond. Well that storyline leaves an impression.

Here Wee-Bey explaining to Namonds mom the wisdom in letting go and giving his son a chance to escape the "corner". (by going to live with Bunnies family)

And then in one of the final scenes I remember Bunny, we see a obviously excelling Namond, giving a speech on Aids, while just outside the hall, on the way home for the evening, Carcetti and Colvin bump into each other.

Carcetti makes a hamheaded attempt at apologizing for the way Bunny was the dept. fallguy. Carcetti explaining it was all a bad scene and there was just obviously nothing anyone could do to save the terrible streets of Baltimore.

Bunny refuses to shake Carcetti's hand, looks at Namond and sarcastically agrees with Carcetti, "Yeah.....there was nothing that could be done."

The comment wasn't lost on Colvin who actually took one of the corner kids and turned his life around, while the politician remained willfully ignorant, obtuse and clueless to his own wake.

Deepish shit dat Wire.

On 9/16/2021 at 9:52 PM, RumHam said:

This series is based on the book written by Justin Fenton who is a crime reporter for The Baltimore Sun and who put out a Twitter thread of photos of locations from The Wire. A series of 'this location from episode X and how it looks now'.

He also did a 'beat swap' 12 years ago with a reporter from London which was super interesting.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/mark-hughes-in-baltimore-just-minutes-after-i-arrived-i-was-at-the-scene-of-a-shooting-1816584.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/justin-fenton-in-london-the-sound-of-fireworks-reminds-me-of-home-1816583.html

1 hour ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

So much this for me as well, only in my situation it was from transitioning out of an old car building town to now a shipbuilding town as the second career.

Theres a culture that you almost need to experience to understand. The Wire was brilliant at bringing us to the projects or the dockside in a way that few who've been there would have believed they'd see portrayed on screen. What they accomplished was not an easy task, they made it real.

I had been meaning to post in this thread for some time as I had completed my first Wire rewatch a few months previous to the recent accidental o.d. of the amazingly talented M.K.Williams. I just wasn't sure what to add to all the posts.

Lester and the Bunk were always interesting. But the one that left a great impression on me after the rewatch was Bunny Colvin.

That whole series of interactions where he went from creating "hamsterdam" to meeting with Namonds dad WeeBey to getting pushed out as a fall guy and then finally in the end as mentor and magnanimous role model to Namond. Well that storyline leaves an impression.

Here WeeBey explaining to Namonds mom the wisdom in letting go and giving his son a chance to escape the "corner".( by going to live with Bunnies family)

And then in one of the final scenes I remember Bunny we see a obviously excelling Namond, giving a speech on Aids, while just outside the hall, on the way home for the evening, Carcetti and Colvin bump into each other.

Carcetti makes a hamheaded attempt at apologizing for the way Bunny was the dept. fallguy. Carcetti explaining it was all a bad scene and there was just obviously nothing anyone could do to save the terrible streets of Baltimore. Bunny refuses to shake Carcetti's hand, looks at Namond and sarcastically agrees with Carcetti, "Yeah.....there was nothing that could be done."

The comment wasn't lost on Colvin who actually took one of the corner kids and turned his life around, while the politician remained willfully ignorant, obtuse and clueless to his own wake.

Deepish shit dat Wire.

The scene where Colvin meets with Weebay is fantastic too.

"You're asking too much."
"Yeah, but I'm asking."

What makes this show so good is that even hardened killers like Weebay care about their kids.  They're not one-dimensional characters.  

2 hours ago, briantw said:

The scene where Colvin meets with Weebay is fantastic too.

"You're asking too much."
"Yeah, but I'm asking."

What makes this show so good is that even hardened killers like Weebay care about their kids.  They're not one-dimensional characters.  

Thanks that's an even better clip showing Wee-Bey talking with both Bunny and then Namonds mom.

What I was trying to find was a clip of that exchange between Bunny and Carcetti where Bunny looks him dead in the eyes and refuses to shake his hand.

One of my fave scenes in the series (among dozens).  But I couldn't find the scene on the YouTubes lol.

10 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Learned today that Clark Johnson, who plays Gus in the newsroom plotline, also directed the pilot and series finale (among other episodes) of The Shield. Pretty cool.

He directed the pilot and series finale of The Wire itself as well (also, two additional episodes of Season 1).

Archived