NFL 2021 Week 2: Is that Jeopardy! gig still available?

Rhom

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

To be fair that Raiders pass rush is for real. He was running for his life all evening. 

The joke was because he legit had to run to the bathroom last year on Monday Night Football to drop a deuce.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

The joke was because he legit had to run to the bathroom last year on Monday Night Football to drop a deuce.

I know. Jokes don’t hit the same when you’ve heard it 500 times before though. :P

22 hours ago, Maithanet said:

It's a real shame that Heineke is not actually good.  He looked decent (not great) in the playoff game vs TB, but that was because Tampa had clearly been prepping for Fitzpatrick all week, and they are very different players.  Once teams know what to expect with Heineke, I fully expect some really ugly performances. 

Tampa had been prepping for a QB that wasn't on the team at that point?  Fascinating gameplan.  No wonder Heinecke looked like the best qb vs the Tampa D in the playoffs.  If you meant prepping for the corpse of Alex Smith well that would just be on Tampa coaches being idiots as he clearly was not going to play in the week leading up to it. So which was it?

14 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I've been digging listening to the Mannings break the game down, but Peyton just said the Raiders are missing him because he's a calming presence. This is the guy who just a few years ago was throwing weights at people in a gym claiming the government was spying on him.

Not defending him as I don't know him but weirdly people are allowed to change, Maybe he had a kid.

2 hours ago, Slurktan said:

Tampa had been prepping for a QB that wasn't on the team at that point?  Fascinating gameplan.  No wonder Heinecke looked like the best qb vs the Tampa D in the playoffs.  If you meant prepping for the corpse of Alex Smith well that would just be on Tampa coaches being idiots as he clearly was not going to play in the week leading up to it. So which was it?

That's right, last year the old broken down qb was Smith not Fitz.  But you are definitely wrong that he was clearly not going to play in the week leading up to it, virtually all of the reporters and talking heads said that Smith would find a way to go for a playoff game.  I don't know where you're getting the idea that it was obvious he wasn't going to go in the week before.  Perhaps by Friday/Saturday it was getting to be fairly clear, but for most of the week (when prep was actually occurring) the assumption was that it would be Smith. 

3 hours ago, Slurktan said:

Not defending him as I don't know him but weirdly people are allowed to change, Maybe he had a kid.

Sure, people can change, but if you read his track record there's a ton he would have to change to be considered a leader and calming presence. 

12 minutes ago, DMC said:

So now the Niners have lost Mostert and Verrett for the entire year.  This is getting depressingly familiar...

I knew Verrett was out.  Didn't know about Mostert.

As great as Mostert is, I'm not worried about him.  Eli Mitchell looked good and the Shanahan system has been making hall of famers out of undrafted running backs for 20 years now.

The defensive backfield though?  Shit...  is it too late to call Richard Sherman?  :stunned:

21 minutes ago, Rhom said:

As great as Mostert is, I'm not worried about him.  Eli Mitchell looked good and the Shanahan system has been making hall of famers out of undrafted running backs for 20 years now.

What's most concerning to me is Sermon was inactive on Sunday.  While Mitchell had a great performance, it seems quite obvious they shouldn't be relying solely on him until Wilson gets back, and Hasty doesn't inspire much confidence either.

ETA:  The Mostert injury is also more depressing for him.  If he could just stay healthy I really think he could put up very special numbers in the Shanahan system.  Also saw his wife got "he should kill himself" dms on social media, which is gross.

21 minutes ago, Rhom said:

The defensive backfield though?  Shit...  is it too late to call Richard Sherman?  :stunned:

Shanahan seemed to intimate they were indeed in contact in the post-game presser, but after the Dre Kirkpatrick signing it seem unlikely...at least until another CB goes down (their safety depth is, comparatively, in much better shape).

32 minutes ago, briantw said:

It’s certainly possible that Sermon just isn’t good, as he was nothing special in college and routinely got beat out by nobodies, but from the way that both he and Aiyuk were handled, I think it was disciplinary.  

Yes - to be clear that's the concerning part.  Shanahan flat out said he wasn't one of their three best backs, which is pretty fucked up considering they traded up to draft him in the third round.  He seems to be trying to light a fire under Aiyuk as well, but that's a little different.  First, because he is still recovering from an injury, and second because he still basically split snaps with Sherfield.

37 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yes - to be clear that's the concerning part.  Shanahan flat out said he wasn't one of their three best backs, which is pretty fucked up considering they traded up to draft him in the third round.  He seems to be trying to light a fire under Aiyuk as well, but that's a little different.  First, because he is still recovering from an injury, and second because he still basically split snaps with Sherfield.

I read a rumor that Aiyuk and Sermon violated curfew, and rather than put that out there, Shanny benched Sermon and barely played Aiyuk. 

I’m more worried about Sermon than Aiyuk, though.  We know Aiyuk is an NFL caliber player.

1 minute ago, briantw said:

I read a rumor that Aiyuk and Sermon violated curfew, and rather than put that out there, Shanny benched Sermon and barely played Aiyuk. 

I dunno, maybe that's the case with Sermon but it seems pretty clear that Aiyuk only getting half the snaps is more a reflection of his camp performance, or lack thereof.

7 hours ago, Rhom said:

I knew Verrett was out.  Didn't know about Mostert.

I thought Mostert was an 8 week or so injury, not season ending.  But starting Mostert and Aiyuk plus Davonte Adams in my big money league could have been a disaster.  Instead I won both match ups with 2nd highest point total.  Thanks Kyler, Dak, and Amari.  I'm especially glad they don't know how to draft in superflex.

That clarifies my rosters some.  Bah.  Was already dropping him in non IR leagues, but other than one keeper league possibly, I guess that's that.

On a non fantasy note, if any of you are living in New England, and aren't Patriots fans, I heartily recommend listening to Scott Zolak on the Patriots radio network for the post game when the Patriots lose.  He said something along the lines that Tua is shit compared to Mack Jones and that the Dolphins D is nothing special on Sunday's postgame.  Apologizes if I posted this already, but if both of those are true, how bad is New England?  

Archived