NFL 2021 Week 2: Is that Jeopardy! gig still available?

Rhom

38 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

down 50 to @Bronn Stone, with only Lamar and Hollywood Brown left. Won comfortably by nearly 25 points. 5-1 this week. 

That was Keeper.  In Dynasty Jace came back to beat me by 15, having also been down 50.  She had Taylor, Andrews and the Ravens Defense.

1 hour ago, Bronn Stone said:

That was Keeper.  In Dynasty Jace came back to beat me by 15, having also been down 50.  She had Taylor, Andrews and the Ravens Defense.

*Further checks notes* 

8-0 in those two leagues, beating the ever living fuck out of all of you.

MNF was a weird game.  The Ravens played bad and had some bad luck (the goal line fumble when no Colts player touched the ball, the extremely strange sequence at the end of the half that gifted the Colts 3 points), and it looked like they were finished.  But they kept fighting and when luck turned the other way, they were there to capitalize.  Colts offense played great and the defense shut down the Ravens for the first three quarters and they still couldn't pull out the win. 

22 hours ago, Rhom said:

Back to my Why Now? question; I think this is worth remembering too

The NFLPA is now requesting all the emails from the investigation. Funny how Washington gets investigated and the only person singled out is a Raider who wasn't even in the NFL at the time.  Back to Ranchers and cattle. We are the ranchers, you are cattle.....

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

The NFLPA is now requesting all the emails from the investigation. Funny how Washington gets investigated and the only person singled out is a Raider who wasn't even in the NFL at the time.  Back to Ranchers and cattle. We are the ranchers, you are cattle.....

The NFL is in a much tougher position punishing owners because they are effectively Goodell’s bosses.  He can’t really do anything to one without the consent of the many.  It’s why Kraft wasn’t even punished for something that a player almost certainly would have been suspended for.

It will be interesting to see if the rest of those emails make it to the light of day, though.  Willing to get quite a few more heads will be rolling if they do.  There were three current NFL head coaches in the Washington organization at that time. 

There's definitely speculation (NOT PROVEN) that the reason Gruden's name came out is that the league ran it by the Raiders organization/owner and they gave their OK to fire him.  Davis the younger is apparently pretty liberal and he may have read the emails and said, "release them, I'll fire his ass". 

In contrast, the WFT organization is about as conservative as they come and they would never give the OK to release emails that make Snyder look bad.  They probably wouldn't even give the OK to release emails that make Bruce Allen and Jay Gruden look bad, although there almost assuredly are some, since it's pretty far-fetched that Jon Gruden was saying these things and everybody else was just wishing he would stop.  I have little doubt that this investigation turned up some stuff that would make Snyder and WFT look really bad.  But it's not in the league's interest to further drag WFT through the mud, a team that is already the scummiest organization in football. 

I suspect that Goodell wants to get rid of Snyder, but Snyder still has some allies amongst the other owners, and all the owners are leery of forcing anyone out of the "club", lest they face similar justice in the future.    And of course, it is not Goodell's call - Snyder is his boss, not his employee. 

Talk radio was commenting that Goodell was butthurt over some of Grudens emails disparaging the commish's manhood or something along those lines.

I'm starting to agree that a hitjob may have been perpetuated on Gruden but I'm just not too sorry for him, even though I fully support disparaging the commish as often as one can get away with. Never liked the guy.

4 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Talk radio was commenting that Goodell was butthurt over some of Grudens emails disparaging the commish's manhood or something along those lines.

I'm starting to agree that a hitjob may have been perpetuated on Gruden but I'm just not too sorry for him, even though I fully support disparaging the commish as often as one can get away with. Never liked the guy.

Gruden's takedown probably is more of a distraction from the real problems with WFT than revenge over hurt feelings about being insulted. What the public already knows about that mess is frankly worse than what cost Richardson his team, and I'm sure several owners are freaked out about being investigated. The bad behavior being revealed is the norm, not an outlier. I'd bet everything I have on that.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Gruden's takedown probably is more of a distraction from the real problems with WFT than revenge over hurt feelings about being insulted...

...The bad behavior being revealed is the norm, not an outlier. I'd bet everything I have on that.

I agree with both DireWolfSpirit's and your analysis.  Gruden's persistent success and adulation in the NFL community is an indictment of the whole system, as there is no way his co-workers were not aware of his views.

The facts that he is mean-spirited, misogynistic and homophobic isn't a surprise, it seems on-key for the NFL.

But the racist stuff is straight stupid.  How can anyone put up with a racist in the NFL?  Oh, right, look at most of the owners, my bad.

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

But the racist stuff is straight stupid.  How can anyone put up with a racist in the NFL?  Oh, right, look at most of the owners, my bad.

Racism exists on a spectrum. I'm sure Gruden thinks he's not a racist because he has black friends and ignores when he says racist things while driving after someone cuts him off.

Archived